How has your muscle mass and body fat changed throughout your life?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
What is your body fat now?

Last edited:
Age 0 - a little muscle, a lot of fat
Age 7 - a little more muscle, a little less fat
Age 15 - a lot more muscle, a little less fat
Age 17 - a little less muscle, a lot less fat (cutting for wrestling)
Age 19 - a lot more muscle, a lot more fat (lifting + college)
Age 22 - a lot less muscle, a lot more fat (started job and stopped working out)
Age 24 (Now) - a lot more muscle, some less fat (started lifting again), probably ~20-22% currently @ 235 pounds

Basically, you’ll notice that activity level was a bigger determinant for body comp than age. I’d imagine this is true for almost anyone.

I have continued to become bigger and stronger and leaner every day of my life. It's mostly because I am an absolute unit.

190 at age 18, lean af. 200 lbs at 37, not quite as lean but close...but all my joints hurt

As long as I lift consistently and eat decent I get bigger and leaner year by year, I'm only 25 so I guess it's to be expected.

I'm currently very skinny fat

Not trained atall in roughly 4 weeks literally nothing and have eaten junk food daily

For example the past 24 hours have consisted of pizza kebab fries icecream and cake

Back in 2003, at 15 years of age, I was at my highest bodyfat percentage - roughly around 30-35% with a 36-37 inch waist and a weight of 235 lbs. I was obese, couldn't squat 135 lbs, and had titties that would probably make the prepubescent girls in my high school red with envy.

I took up Muay Thai and got on a variation of Bill Starr's 5x5 program (after a period of fucking around with some cookie cutter routines from the muscle rags), and did a low carb diet. I stopped eating rice (which was a staple in my diet since my family is Korean), started taking protein powder, and ate more meat while cutting out processed food. 6 months later I had lost 40 lbs and gained a bit of muscle due to newbie gains, but I still had a "skinny fat" appearance with the love handles jutting around in circles a la Tim Sylvia. My bodyfat % was probably around 18% - 20% at this point.

A year later, I got into Brazilian Jiujitsu while still powerlifting on the side for strength. By this time, I was doing Madcow's version of the 5 x 5. I was introduced to the sport of Olympic Weightlifting at a Gold's Gym in Las Vegas by the nationally renowned coach, John Broz, and his friend Val. During this phase I was doing the keto diet and managed to trim down to my lowest weight of 185 lbs with a bf of 8-10%.

So flash forward 10 years and right now I'm sitting at a weight of 210 lbs with 10-12% bf. I've given up training and competing in BJJ and am solely doing weightlifting with a bit of powerlifting and bodybuilding on the side. I've just transitioned from keto to the Carnivore Diet at the start of this year eliminate my arthritis and other ailments that have been plaguing me the past couple of years.

In highschool I lifted a lot but I didn't know what the hell I was doing so I was doing "body building" stuff almost everyday. I was also the heaviest in my life back then (160lbs).
I got much leaner in my 20s with boxing. I fought at 135 and over time I found myself gaining more muscle mass. I assume this because despite weighing the same, I looked more shredded and my max lifts got higher. I had very little definition in my first fight but in my last fight, I was shredded. I got my ass kicked either way, but I was still impressed by the pictures because of how jacked my back looked lol.

I bulked up a bit since quitting boxing (155lbs now) and focused on lifting but despite weighing more, I still maintain some definition, which I assume means more of it is muscle than it used to be. Which makes logical sense since I'm also able to lift more than I have before. I'm trying to lose a bit of weight now since I just think somewhere around 145-150 is my optimal weight but my goal is get stronger, which probably means I'll gain muscle in the process.

I conclude, the older I get, the more jacked I'll get.

Age 0 - a little muscle, a lot of fat
Age 7 - a little more muscle, a little less fat
Age 15 - a lot more muscle, a little less fat
Age 17 - a little less muscle, a lot less fat (cutting for wrestling)
Age 19 - a lot more muscle, a lot more fat (lifting + college)
Age 22 - a lot less muscle, a lot more fat (started job and stopped working out)
Age 24 (Now) - a lot more muscle, some less fat (started lifting again), probably ~20-22% currently @ 235 pounds

Basically, you’ll notice that activity level was a bigger determinant for body comp than age. I’d imagine this is true for almost anyone.

For me

Age 10, slightly stocky, average height. 5'0 120. Did TKD for a couple years. 18% bodyfat
Age 13-14, hit puberty and started mild exercise and played football. 5'7 165 17% bodyfat
Age 16-18, started grappling and running on the regular. 5'8 150 16%
Age 19 BJJ and lifting 5'9 155 15%
Age 22, Fit but got pretty thin, 5'9 142 13-14%
Age 24 (Now) Boxing, Weightlifting and strength training 4-6 days a week. 5'9 150 12%.

I would like to be 155-160 at 10%

Last edited:
I had major fluctuations in weight, body fat and muscle mass.

-Age 17, first started lifting weights, 6ft1, 147lbs, 10% bodyfat.
-Age 19, two year nasty bulk, 6ft2, 208.5lbs, 17-18% bodyfat.
-Age 19-20, started competitive Thai Boxing, dropped from 208.5lbs to 165-170lbs, 8% bodyfat.
-Age 20-23, competed in Thai Boxing at 155lbs, 6ft2, 4-6% bodyfat.
-Age 23-24, surgery, traveling and new career, physically inactive for 1 year, 6ft3, 195lbs, 15-18% bodyfat.
-Age 24, started lifting weights again, 6ft3, 205lbs, 13-15% bodyfat.

Goals: As of April 1st, I'm picking up running again, I'd like to compete in 5k and 10k races to start and eventually build up to my first marathon. In terms of weight, I don't have a specific goal, I'll go with the flow and see where my training brings me.
I'd like to be the strongest sub 3hour marathon runner, that's my life goal in terms of fitness.

I know when I started full time (sedentary) work in 1999, I was 74kg at 5'9 with very little fat. I'm now around 95kg, sometimes as high as 100kg with more muscle and more fat. No idea of percentages, but it's definitely more of both.

I was one of those guys who was skinny as fuck in high school and got super fat the first year of college. I went from 120-155 throughout highschool then 155-205 freshman year of college.

Ever since then I float between 180-245 depending on how much I train mma. Two years ago I was single and 190 around 18% body fat and four months ago I was 245 around 30% body fat. My woman broke up with me three months ago and i am dropping back down pretty quickly and steadily just by training again and lowering my fat intake. Am now 220 and hope to get to around 205 eventually

~DaViD~

Skinny as hell (160 @ 6') until around 25 and then gained a small amount of weight in to the 175 range, then went full SS and got huge (for me) for rugby, as heavy as 212. Muscular, but also fat. Then lost the muscle and just skinny fat at about 195. Currently a trim 170 lbs, I'd guess around 12% BF.

So I'd probably peg by BF% at:
12%
17%
26%
12%

Child -16 years; skinny and weak, but no fat

16-22yrs; more muscle, little fat. Weighed 145lbs and was in fighting shape.

22yrs: got injured, had to stop training, kept eating

34yrs: fat and weak. About 28% body fat. Weigh 180lbs.

Back