How hard is it to wrestle for Rutgers?

Well, judo will help your wrestling, Muay Thai won't. That's for sure. But I won't tell you what to do. Maybe you really like Muay Thai and want to get better at it. Maybe you want to get into MMA. I don't know. But judo will help make you a better wrestler. You'll have some "unorthodox" throws that a lot of wrestlers aren't prepared for.

I've only done MT for a few weeks now, and I do have fun with it, but now would be the time to make the chanege. I really have been working to be a better, and more succesfull wrestler, and I like MT and MMA, but not enough to pursue a career or competition. Not now atleast. Now I just want to focus on wrestling, and anything that would help give me an edge. Judo sounds fun, looks cool, and if you say it'll step up my game, then I think I'll make the switch. Thanks for the insight.

I wrestled for a D-1 school and have followed collegiate wrestling since. Rutgers is a good program. They were ranked 23rd back in Feburary of this year. They also have several ranked competitors ranging from the 125 to heavyweight classes. As for how hard it is to get a spot, that's entirely up to you. If you feel that this is what you wish to accomplish in the next 4 years, then your training, conditioning and diet will all play a key-role in how hard you make it on yourself to achieve your goal. Rutgers is a solid program with damn good wrestlers and YES they can afford to be picky with their recruits.

I've only done MT for a few weeks now, and I do have fun with it, but now would be the time to make the chanege. I really have been working to be a better, and more succesfull wrestler, and I like MT and MMA, but not enough to pursue a career or competition. Not now atleast. Now I just want to focus on wrestling, and anything that would help give me an edge. Judo sounds fun, looks cool, and if you say it'll step up my game, then I think I'll make the switch. Thanks for the insight.

Then go with judo, for sure. It's fun, and you'll learn some cool tricks.

My advice though: don't go to judo and act like it's wrestling. The class won't be structured like a wrestling practice, and the level of training intensity might not be their either. Also, don't go to judo to use you're wrestling on the judo guys, if you get what I'm saying. Go there to actually learn judo.

Then go with judo, for sure. It's fun, and you'll learn some cool tricks.

My advice though: don't go to judo and act like it's wrestling. The class won't be structured like a wrestling practice, and the level of training intensity might not be their either. Also, don't go to judo to use you're wrestling on the judo guys, if you get what I'm saying. Go there to actually learn judo.

great advice. I followed this to a tee when I began judo.

Definitely go do Judo! Your writing skills are insanely good for someone your age, so if you are as skilled in wrestling as you are in writing, you should have no problems doing well.

These guys didn't start wrestling until High school...

YouTube - Spenser & Ryan Mango Highlight Video

So you might have a shot. Wrestle every day, season or not... do freestyle and greco roman in the off season. compete once a week or more if possible and run every day, lift and build lean muscle mass.

get great, and I mean fucking fantastic at cutting weight, and you have a shot maybe.

you can be a beast after a short time if you put the work in, but you have to understand wrestlers are all putting the work in, it's the off season work that divides them. and a lot of extreme god given athleticism in some cases.

These guys didn't start wrestling until High school...

YouTube - Spenser & Ryan Mango Highlight Video

So you might have a shot. Wrestle every day, season or not... do freestyle and greco roman in the off season. compete once a week or more if possible and run every day, lift and build lean muscle mass.

get great, and I mean fucking fantastic at cutting weight, and you have a shot maybe.

you can be a beast after a short time if you put the work in, but you have to understand wrestlers are all putting the work in, it's the off season work that divides them. and a lot of extreme god given athleticism in some cases.
I had no idea they started in HS. Thats amazing!

Fuck I've been working to much and missing the good threads.

Without reading anyhting posted Rutgers is a legit program that is growing... With that said

There are like 33 spots on a wrestling program and as the year goes on many kids quit because it is hard to keep up with academics and a Division 1 sport.

Talk to the coach walk on and give it everything you have. If you don't make the cut there is a good chance someone will quit and the coach will invite you back on the team.

Back