How hard is it to wrestle for Rutgers?

Verry hard ,as they say "how do you get to Carangie Hall? PRATICE" . Ya never know you might be a FRANKIE EDGAR. or not . I know I cant spell.

I've never followed wrestling but they seem pretty serious about it at RU. "Potential" is sometimes a filler compliment but it's gotta be better than nothing. In the worst case scenario you could always join the wrestling club and try again later right?

Edit: see you in four years

I read the post of the guy below me and realized you're a high school frosh not a college frosh xD

Last edited:
This doesn't mean you don't have potential, but I tell every new kid they have potential, just because everyone has some sort of potential. Just train as hard as you can, with the intention of wrestling in college (It will be extra motivation to push harder than the other kids on your team), and see where you are in 4 years.

You can do it man! at age 13 you have a goal, and seem like a smart kid. If you wrestle year round and don't do other sports you will be great. A big difference from middle school to high school is upper body strength. Kids get a lot stronger. Hit the weight room, do upper body exercises. Bench press, bicep curls, pull ups, all that good stuff. Don't worry if you lose to a junior or senior your first year, and good luck! whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

13? I was 14 when I started HS, graduated at 17 and I know many who turned 15 just before or right after the start of there HS careers.

Anyway, it takes practice. You have a good coach with a good team, you are starting right on time so all that usually='s a good wrestler if you stick to it and have a bit of talent.

Doing other sports is not always bad. Football can be good for learning to work with a team, building size and explosiveness etc...

My son is entering his Freshman year and he is doing both. He ended the season wrestling 160lbs last year and he currently weighs 186lbs. He has been hitting the weights and eating. He is not as strong as the older kids yet but he closed the gap considerably in a short time.

Man, no one ever told me I had potential when I started wrestling. Good luck to you man. Find the guys on your team who wrestle year round and get talking to them. If they have a club joint it. Hopefully you'll meet some good guys who will either take you to or inform you of local tournaments.

If you stay on track, you can do it. They key isn't just gong to every practice and working hard, it's the extra stuff. Going to camps and open mats is definitely the right thing to do, keep it up! Consider starting a light weightlifting routine if you want, if not then when you're a bit older. I don't know you, but I'm always cautious in advising kids to lift weights too much. 15 I'd say is a good age to start.

If you stay on track, you can do it. They key isn't just gong to every practice and working hard, it's the extra stuff. Going to camps and open mats is definitely the right thing to do, keep it up! Consider starting a light weightlifting routine if you want, if not then when you're a bit older. I don't know you, but I'm always cautious in advising kids to lift weights too much. 15 I'd say is a good age to start.

15? Perfect. I'm 14 now, and turn 15 in September, so I'll have about several months to get some lifting in before season starts.

Wrestling at the college level takes up ALOT of work, most guys who wrestle have done so since they were 6-8 so you are going to have too practice to make up.

How 'The Karate Kid' Ruined The Modern World | Cracked.com

I suggest reading this, if you want to be good at something work HARD. I never made it to the states, and I only had one team mate who ever did, and I never realized how much time after school he spent perfecting his technique on open mats ect. You have to spend alot of time after school and all day during the summer to become good. It's alot of work but if you want to make Rutgers than you have to work harder than every one else.

First off (if you're still kinda new) don't go out and learn all the moves you can, work on a few moves and master them, Single/doubles, half nelsons, farside/nearside/crossface cradles, headlock, and VERY important learn to set it up (shots and headlock). Learn suckerdrives also. Use these moves ONLY for the first 3 years of wrestling (this mean year around not 1 season). At Olympic level they use alot of basic moves.

If you watch the Olympics then you see that every one uses a few or a variation of a few moves that they are good at. This is because they have spent alot of time perfecting these moves (single/double set ups ect.) and if you wrestle some one good, they LOVE it when you use a move that they have known to do and counter since they were 11.

Good luck man Rutgers is very tough pertaining to their wrestling program.

Also, so I don't have to make a new thread, would switching Muay Thai for Judo up my wrestling game? I've got friends who take it and they're fantastic wrestlers, the art in itself is also highly appealing. Muay Thai doesn't really do much for me expect give an alright workout, and some confidence in a fist fight. I mean, it's not like I'm training for MMA, so would Judo be beneficial?

Just bust your ass and focus on being a force on your high school team... It's great to have long term goals but they can only be achieved by hitting your short term goals first. Good luck, man! What I wouldn't do to turn the clock back a few years ago to be in your shoes! Put your heart and soul into it (and anything else you do) and good things will come!

Welcome to the wrestling brotherhood man! NJ is a tough wrestling state so it will definitely weed out how dedicated you are to this goal and this sports. Good luck to you kid and let us know how you do this year.

I think you should look at wrestling as a year round sport if you want to wrestle for a D1 team.
Sure you dont have to train off-season like you do during the season. But getting into the gym and onto the mat 3 times a week will help you greatly. A example, I have a son who wrestled for the first time on the HS team his freshman year. All of last summer I brought him to the wrestling club at least 2 times a week. This past season his coach and other people told me how much better he was. This is without them even knowing what I did.

Wrestling will be one of the hardest things you've ever done but at the same time one of the best things. If I could give you one piece of advice it would be, remember your time in HS Wrestling is limited so always push yourself. No regrets.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, uphill sprints and Wrestling camps off-season.

Also, so I don't have to make a new thread, would switching Muay Thai for Judo up my wrestling game? I've got friends who take it and they're fantastic wrestlers, the art in itself is also highly appealing. Muay Thai doesn't really do much for me expect give an alright workout, and some confidence in a fist fight. I mean, it's not like I'm training for MMA, so would Judo be beneficial?

Well, judo will help your wrestling, Muay Thai won't. That's for sure. But I won't tell you what to do. Maybe you really like Muay Thai and want to get better at it. Maybe you want to get into MMA. I don't know. But judo will help make you a better wrestler. You'll have some "unorthodox" throws that a lot of wrestlers aren't prepared for.

Sup Gents!

Im from the great state of NJ and right now...RU wrestling is on fire.....NJ has a wealth of talent that usually leaves NJ in search of the Ohio's n Penn states n the Iowa schools etc....

Since coach Goodale has taken over (Goodale is a VERY WELL respected former NJ standout rassler and now RU Head coach) we, NJ are keeping a lot more talent here in house. (I rassled coach Goodale back in say 86/87?? he was a freshman STUD and I was a Sophmore.....yea, 10th grade :icon_chee )

So, is it hard to wrestle for RU?? Beat your ass it is. Just about anyone on the team (for the most part) would be a top 8 finisher in there state tourny....with MANY #1,2 & 3 guys sticking to NJ & RU.

RU is building a solid foundation right now and I really really think we will see them shine over the next 2-4 years or so....

Anyways, wrestling is good for you.....it takes an average guy like me and makes them slightly better then average....imma shorter fella and all but will whip most hineys twice my size, with no wrestling experience....im not a bad ass tho :icon_lol:

I do wish I had started to wreslte when I was younger.....say 10 or 11...not when I got to HS!

Back