how hard is it pull guard?

xMaxPower

Red Belt
Reaction score
Is it a hard technique to pull off?

I assume its just locking your opponent in the clinch and just falling down?

In theory it shouldn't be difficult, but some guys are actually good and stop you from pulling guard. You could always learn takedowns though......

I won gold in the second tournament I ever did and I pulled guard in 3 out of my 4 matches. It was easy and I barely repped it out first in class. That was in gi, never tried it in no gi

Pulling guard isn't "hard", it's what you do with it that is (especially in MMA).

I won gold in the second tournament I ever did and I pulled guard in 3 out of my 4 matches. It was easy and I barely repped it out first in class. That was in gi, never tried it in no gi

Yeah, gi is a different world. I WISH gi's were allowed in MMA. We'd see a lot more subs from elite grapplers, imo.

The hardest part is looking at yourself in the mirror after a competition and realizing you don't know how to wrestle.

Pulling guard is very easy unless your opponent expects/anticipates it and creates distance

Against a good wrestler or judoka who knows all you have for takedowns is a guard pull, its almost impossible. If you have other throws/takedowns they have to worry about then its another tool in the toolbox.

If you're wearing gi's, and have other throws to keep your opponent off balance it can work well quite a few judo throws are basically more skillful guard pulls (tomo-nage, uki-waza, sumi-gaeshi etc). If you don't have other throws you'll never pull it off against a good grappler.

If you're not wearing gi's it can be hard even if you have other throws (you only have to watch MMA to see how hard it is without a gi - it fails far more often than it works), but it can work if you set it up with something like a body lock attempt or a reaping throw.

Pulling guard isn't "hard", it's what you do with it that is (especially in MMA).

In MMA it almost always end up with the puller lying on his back and the guy he tried to pull standing five feet away - it very rarely works unless its set up with a different takedown.

im just wondering why maia never tries doing it

He did at first. It never worked, because its actually hard to pull off against good grapplers unless you have other things for them to worry about. Maia learned other throws, which he sometimes pulls off.

Pulling guard works great against low level grapplers, rarely against good grapplers. Not many low level grapplers left in the UFC.

In MMA it almost always end up with the puller lying on his back and the guy he tried to pull standing five feet away - it very rarely works unless its set up with a different takedown.

Right...what I said.

Pulling guard is easy.
Pulling guard and landing in a fully locked up position with your opponents posture broken down is way more difficult

depends on which level of skill you are at white belt the most common sub is an americana from side or mount you rarely see triangles at white belt u stop seeing americanas at purple as an example

In theory it shouldn't be difficult, but some guys are actually good and stop you from pulling guard. You could always learn takedowns though......
I think it could be used effectively if trained enough. But Maia sure could have used this technique...but didn't. Idk why. His takedown attempts were not working...and he didn't have a plan b

Pulling guard on a good opponent is actually not that easy. As I've learned the hard way, good guard passers will just parry your leg and aggressively attack the pass. if you notice, a lot of IBJJF bb matches start with the guard puller scrambling to recover his guard. a truly effective guard pull (think roger gracie vs. buchecha) tends to happen after some training wheels wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back