how hard is it pull guard?

I think it could be used effectively if trained enough. But Maia sure could have used this technique...but didn't. Idk why. His takedown attempts were not working...and he didn't have a plan b
I agree, especially for the very small amount of time when he had Usman against the cage. But it also doesn't help that Maia is a bit older, and Usman is as strong as an ox.

I agree, especially for the very small amount of time when he had Usman against the cage. But it also doesn't help that Maia is a bit older, and Usman is as strong as an ox.
yea no doubt. I look at a guy like usman and he could be the strongest welterweight. He has that wirey strength that would be hell to deal with. Woodley is a strong dude too, but usman might have him beat.

I think it could be used effectively if trained enough. But Maia sure could have used this technique...but didn't. Idk why. His takedown attempts were not working...and he didn't have a plan b

The problem with pulling guard is that it isn't a Plan B. In most jiu-jitsu competitions the rules are on your side; if you are on the ground, than the other guy has to engage you or get penalized. In MMA however, there is no reason the other guy has to either follow you to the ground, or stay with you on the ground, unless he wants to, in which case, if he knows what he's doing he can just punch you in your face and turn you back into a white belt.

Of course, if you just so happen to good at leg locks, you can use leg shots or imanari rolls to 'pull' into an entanglement. Exceptions that prove the rule.

The problem with pulling guard is that it isn't a Plan B. In most jiu-jitsu competitions the rules are on your side; if you are on the ground, than the other guy has to engage you or get penalized. In MMA however, there is no reason the other guy has to either follow you to the ground, or stay with you on the ground, unless he wants to, in which case, if he knows what he's doing he can just punch you in your face and turn you back into a white belt.

Of course, if you just so happen to good at leg locks, you can use leg shots or imanari rolls to 'pull' into an entanglement. Exceptions that prove the rule.
Well Maia certainly took plenty of shots anyways. I just think he should have changed his approach. The idea being get the fight to the ground. He could have took a page out of Ryan Hall's book and rolled (if that's what you're talking about). Needless to say, he just had no solid way to get the fight to the ground with the tools that he had. Maybe plan b isn't to pull guard, but you have to have a plan b.....but I wasn't really suggesting plan b was specifically pulling guard. Against a high level wrestler, you actually need a plan c and d as well. This is even more true for somebody like maia who just wrote a book on how to prevent his takedowns via the Woodley and Covington fight.

Hey, I put together a video covering this for MMA if you are interested.

The hardest part is looking at yourself in the mirror after a competition and realizing you don't know how to wrestle.
Wtf is that?? Did you win or did you loose? A take down and a sweep are worth the same amount of points. Get the win

Is it a hard technique to pull off?

I assume its just locking your opponent in the clinch and just falling down?
You may be a black belt on Sherdog but a no belt in Jiu-jitsu to ask a question like that.

Pulling guard is easy.
Pulling guard and landing in a fully locked up position with your opponents posture broken down is way more difficult

Absolutely, I rarely attempt the ''get on your ass with one weak grip'' pull guard. I use mainly two pull guard techniques , the shotgun guard (cross grip to the sleeve, the other arm under the armpit of the same arm, same side foot on the hip and the other foot in the bicep of the arm with no grip) there I have entries to all the open guards, fast hammer sweeps and even triangles.

The other pull guard I use is to attempt lazy single leg and I just sit back, there I can get shin to shin or sitting guard and work from there. My favorite one is when they defend the single leg by putting the leg outside, there I can get a perfect SLX position.

So yeah, I pull guard, but it's not as if I want to skip the stand up part, I take a position to get high percentage sweeps.

At the higher levels it's hard as fck. Guys who are decent will be sure to start passing off bat , or at least look to get ahead in terms of grip and placement. I never pull straight. I usually fake some sort of takedown involving the collar get my hand on that mat then pull em into an open guard.

At the lower levels do what u want. Every1 is shit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back