How good was Randall "Tex" Cobb?

When asked about a rematch with Holmes:

“I don’t think his hands could take the punishment.”

He was SOOO GOOD.

One of the all time greats for sure.

His Reynaldo Snipes quote (if true) is one of the funniest things I ever read.

good enough to run howard cosell out the sport forever.

A better journeyman than today's journeymen lol

He was very good for having transitioned from full contact Karate/kickboxing & only having a handful of amateur fights before turning pro. His best asset was, of course, his legendary durability but he was also a strong, aggressive fighter with good power & a halfway decent jab on those occasions when he remembered to use it.
His best wins were over Earnie Shavers ( who was past it but still dangerous ), Bernardo Mercado & Leon Spinks. But, as was pointed out previously, he hung tough in very close fights with Michael Dokes, Ken Norton & Buster Douglas in bouts that could have gone neither way.
For a fighter with a limited skill set he did damn good.

^^^^^Why did I have no idea Cobb and Douglas fought in '84? I had to look that shit up. Hmm...
I would have watched it for sure as I'd have been 15, I guess I just didn't know who Douglas was at that point? Or, it just leaked out of the ol' skull computer. My mind is like I'm using an old commodore 64 some days.

He was very good for having transitioned from full contact Karate/kickboxing & only having a handful of amateur fights before turning pro. His best asset was, of course, his legendary durability but he was also a strong, aggressive fighter with good power & a halfway decent jab on those occasions when he remembered to use it.
His best wins were over Earnie Shavers ( who was past it but still dangerous ), Bernardo Mercado & Leon Spinks. But, as was pointed out previously, he hung tough in very close fights with Michael Dokes, Ken Norton & Buster Douglas in bouts that could have gone neither way.
For a fighter with a limited skill set he did damn good.
Wouldve been a UFC Champ today.

Wouldve been a UFC Champ today.
He'd actually matchup with someone like Derrick Lewis....although he'd have to stay standing or Derrick would legitimately knock him out cold with his ground punching

He'd probably torch some top 15 heavyweights honestly

He was supposed be Ali's last fight. But, he got hurt. Berbick took his place.

How would that have gone?

He was supposed be Ali's last fight. But, he got hurt. Berbick took his place.

How would that have gone?

The same way. Cobb was crude as hell but he was a workhorse and would outwork most guys who were aging veterans. Ali obviously couldn't budge him with a punch either.

Cobb wasn't a "good" boxer but he had certain attributes that made him competitive at any combat sports, even without adequate skill level. He was incredibly tough and had great stamina and work ethic. If MMA had been around he would've probably fought in MMA too.

Last edited:
Cobb was a legend.

So many stories outside and inside the ring. He did well for himself in Hollywood, always kicking up gigs in well known movies.

Back