How good was prime Askren?

He's weird. His nickname really sums him up. He's funky. He does weird shit.

His legacy is going to be king of the minor leagues. Can't hate on a guy who did it his way.

The end of Ben Askren's career was an ebarrassment. Should have been 0-3 in UFC and got humiliated by JP a YouTuber.

But his record says that he was actually good at one point. So we have to assume he was well passed his prime in his uFC and celebrity boxing run.

So how good was prime Askren and how would he have done in the UFC?
He was good for the era he was in, but in today's landscape even in his prime he would stand little to no chance.

In his prime, slightly better than Jay Hieron.

Twice more i tried to post itt and a good ol re-direct put a stop to both

Fuck this horseshit site

This good.

20191027-035352.gif

I didnt even gramnar check my last post.

I was so excited to type the whole thing out without being re-directed .

Really bad today for some reason

He was 35 years old coming out of retirement with a toasted hip, I'm going assume you didn't read the thread.

I'm his biggest fan and I never blamed his UFC run on age or hip.

The Lawler slam anx Mas knee were flukes that coulda happened at any point in his career and Maia was always his worst matchup

Miracle that I was able to type all that out without being re-directed

As far as stories go he's the king of the hyped outsiders for me. His roundtable consists of Dennis Kang, Hector Lombard, Sokodjou, Jorge Santiago, Mayhem Miller, Hatsu Hioki, Michihiro Omigawa, Houston Alexander. I know for sure I'm forgetting a few that are going to drive me insane.

A lot of people like to add guys like Cro-Cop and Wand to these lists but that's a different category, they had already achieved legit Top 10 success, or they were able to at least get a few wins in the UFC. Askren sits at the top of the mountain of guys that were highly skilled, absolute killers that for some strange reason had zero success in the UFC other than maybe one win.

Good enough to wrestle fuck cans. Koreshkov and Lima were his strongest competitors

Ronda would box Ben up bad, so there is that.

One of the biggest overachievers in the history of the sport, didn’t even take the sport seriously and hardly kept himself in anything resembling top shape, yet became a notable fighter with good wins.

He had numerous fights where he should’ve been put to sleep and soundly dominated, but through some durability and a little luck, came out on top.

Despite some good wins during his career, I don’t think he was ever legitimately an elite top 20 caliber fighter. He never had a skill set to survive against pro fighters at the top level, guys who could watch tape and expose his numerous deficiencies. Once he was really in the sight of the MMA world, he didn’t last very long.

His win against Lawler is the ultimate definition of his career, totally outclassed by someone who is superior in nearly every aspect of MMA, yet through a great chin and some luck, pulls off the impossible.
I don't think your description resembles how a lot of his fights went at his prime in 2 organisations where he dominated fights and made winning look easy. I know its fashionable to think ufc is the best in the world but the travails of ex ufc stars who signed with one fc including a contender for all time greatest shows that there's a high standard there as well.

Gotta admire his grit and determination. Coupled with a great wrestling background that's what took him so far. If Lawler had fought his way out of that choke, however, everything suggests to me that Askren was in for a serious beating worse than what had already been put on him prior to the stoppage. We will never know, of course, and my hat is off to Askren for weathering that storm, but he would never have done very well in the UFC, imo.

I don't agree. Lawler was easily tied up and clinched by askren, and had askren not made the error of allowing him to grab his lower body and pick him up, it would have likely been the usual g and p victory for him.

Back