How good was Mark Coleman?

It’s just silly to act as if there’s not a good chance lewis knocks them out. Oleinik did have lewis in some trouble but lewis was able to avoid the sub against a guy who probably would have easily finished the sub against coleman or randleman.

Guys like you want to pretend lewis sucks and ignore the limitations and losses of guys like coleman and randleman and ignore the knockouts from lewis.
BigHandmadeFrilledlizard-max-1mb.gif

Oleinik destroys Mark easily, people here live in nostalgia and Derrick kills Mark.

1) Lewis got saved by the bell. Lewis still sucks and even fights he wins he gets dominated before landing a lucky punch

2) sure he could lucky shot KO them but that doesn't make him a better fighter as he still sucks and we are discussing the prospects of them fighting Lewis with the preparation of a modern fight camp like AKA where they can round out their game and add some good sports science to their game.

Lewis being able to KO someone doesn't make him a good fighter and it doesn't mean his overall skills aren't terrible. Current Oleinik is terrible. Current Hunt and JDS are also fossils and both walked him down and TKOd him with ease and Volkov was treating him like a bum unti the lucky KO.
if you can't stop yourself from getting Knocked Out with your skills you are the worst fighter it's a fact man, strength is a big part of fighting.

fighting is about winning no matter what, if you win you are better than the other man.

A guy as Blagoi Ivanov would be a tough task for Coleman

And vice versa
if you can't stop yourself from getting Knocked Out with your skills you are the worst fighter it's a fact man, strength is a big part of fighting.

fighting is about winning no matter what, if you win you are better than the other man.

You think Derrick Lewis is a better fighter than Volkov? Who would win more in 10 fights?

BigHandmadeFrilledlizard-max-1mb.gif

Oleinik destroys Mark easily, people here live in nostalgia and Derrick kills Mark.

That was a work dummy. Coleman has been on mats with black belts like Shogun who is a Christiano Marcelo black belt and Bonnar who is a Renzo black belt and neither of them ever came close to submitting Mark.

If you put a prime Mark Coleman in a modern camp like AKA or ATT Oleinik would have nothing for him.

He had a lot of good reasons to go to Japan.

The best HWs in the world were in PRIDE at that time. The fighters were paid and treated much better there. They explicitly did not test for PEDs. Winning a PRIDE GP is a bigger accomplishment than being UFC champ for a year or two.

And that's exactly what he did.

It's a shame to see him as he is now. Except when he's ragdolling Joe Rogan, of course.

He was good enough to be the #1 hw in the world with a limited skill set. He had such a head start with his wrestling that yes, he could have cross trained more without risking losing his main asset.

maybe he could have gotten a couple years as #1. Sylvia and Mir are winnable fights for him depending on how he would adopt new skills.

He should have gotten the decision over Rizzo. Couture had much better fight iq so that would have been tricky.

He could never compete with the inevitable wave of Nog, Fedor, and CroCop.

Coleman was a tough competitor for sure, but my favorite insight from him is actually Fedor giving zero fucks about his td threat and swinging away. It illustrates what no modern hw would do, and that is give 10% effort to defend the td and 90% effort to knocking heads off. Fedor could have outpointed and put on a kickboxing clinic if he wanted.

Contrast that to a fighter like JDS who defended lots of tds from Cain in the 2nd and 3rd fights but never added any offense.

I’m not criticizing JDS so much as I’m saying that “reckless” is a better strategy than “defensive” sometimes and contrasting those fights illustrates that irony.

tumblr_mz0g64gfJi1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Couture>>>>>>>>Mark

I don't care if he beat Couture in Wrestling, in MMA Randy was 10 times better.

Because Randy had amazing high kicks? <LikeReally5>

For the record, in a prime vs prime match-up, I'd probably give Couture a slight advantage over Coleman... but come on, 10 times?

Coleman>>>>>>>>>Couture

And vice versa

You think Derrick Lewis is a better fighter than Volkov? Who would win more in 10 fights?

Volkov is a top HW, and can give problems standing to anyone. Lewis still KOed him.
One thing is sure, he is way better than Pete Williams who KTFO Coleman.

Mark was far greater in his era but Im not so sure he beats Derrick Lewis.

Yeah he might have had a lot of help. I guess a lot of guys did.

He would have wrestled me into a pulp, I know that much. He could beat up any guy in the audience, imo, and more than half the guys in the locker room. Think he has a win over Igor vovchanchen in the Pride gp, and if at any point in your life you are able to beat Igor in a fight, you are a baaaad dude. So Coleman for a time was a baaad dude.

Mark Coleman for me was that fighter that has a strong personality , strong wrestling back then but it feels that he never got that right direction of his career and development.

My question is

- If Mark Coleman keep fought in UFC 2000-2003 do you think he would get the belt?
- Would Mark handle Tim Sylvia and Frank Mir?
- Would Mark become dangerous if he had the confidence in stand up? I mean go for a KO and want to brawl?

He was 100 times better as a fighter than you are as a poster or thread starter.

He was a porcupine platypus
Had a belt and had it took
The saddest look
His daughters had after
Fedor Landed Hooks

Coleman was one generation away from true mixed martial artists as we know now. He was athletic but unskilled in striking and submissions.

At his best, he could probably TD a lot of top guys and hold them there but I wouldn't count on him beating them.

Volkov is a top HW, and can give problems standing to anyone. Lewis still KOed him.
One thing is sure, he is way better than Pete Williams who KTFO Coleman.

Mark was far greater in his era but Im not so sure he beats Derrick Lewis.

We are talking about prime Coleman in a modern day camp like ATT or AKA not 97 Coleman against today's fighters. Try to keep up.

Also way to avoid the Volkov vs Lewis in 10 fights question. A lucky KO after being owned for 2.8 rounds doesn't mean someone is a better fighter. That's why back in the days in k1 everyone fought eachother like 5x. One KO win didn't mean shit.

I think it'd look a lot like Matt Hughes once the game passed him by.

Coleman was successful because he was excellent in one area of MMA (wrestling) in an era when that's all you needed to be successful (especially HW). He followed the same game plan every fight and was very successful at first. But, the game is always evolving and he wasn't exactly young when he fought in PRIDE. I'm not sure he could have adapted his style so "late in the game" (of his career) and become a striker, or even used striking to compliment his wrestling.

Jarl

He had a predictable, one-dimensional style which could be defeated easily by out lasting him in the cardio department & being able to absorb some damage.

He was also very susceptible to submissions (not including heel hooks lol) based on the results of his contests with high level submission grapplers. He was a very violent and powerful GNPer and performed best under looser rule sets, utilizing headbutts and knees to the head very well.

Was he a talented martial artist? No. But he was a jacked white boy who could double let you and smash in your face. And unless you were the most talented fighters in the world, you couldn’t do a thing about it. I’d say that makes him pretty fucking good!

Back