How good was Lennox Lewis?

it was decent, much better than it is now. Not to mention he took on anyone people thought had a good chance, I say this because every champion tries to maximize profits(usually a management decision) by fighting as many no hopers as the public will allow before they start to bitch. Lennox had none of that, he said "I don't want no Mickey Mouse fighters" and proceeded to clean out the division. I guess you could say Tyson did that too but there weren't any fighters thought to be a threat during his championship years. Lennox wasted the guys like Grant and Golota who were thought to be threats.

certainly the last great hw champ. i would put him a notch below ali, louis and than depending how im feeling on the day maybe johnson, and foreman.

Come on, Larry beats him and prime Mike too.

Some of you guys saying he's the most underrated HW ever:p just going by the gherkin jerkin in this thread, I suggest he's by far the most overrated.

that chin hurts him big time as does the fact (said it before) that he never really fought in the midst of adversity and overcame, some of that's not his fault. He fought smart and when he lost, he lost clearly not in a back and forth battle. The Klitschko fight would have changed this because he was getting gut checked but the cut ended it before that. Still a great heavyweight, I reserve the doubts about that chin though, if Rahman and McCall could kayo him so could Louis, Holmes, Tyson, Foreman, all the big punchers have a chance.

that chin hurts him big time as does the fact (said it before) that he never really fought in the midst of adversity and overcame, some of that's not his fault. He fought smart and when he lost, he lost clearly not in a back and forth battle. The Klitschko fight would have changed this because he was getting gut checked but the cut ended it before that. Still a great heavyweight, I reserve the doubts about that chin though, if Rahman and McCall could kayo him so could Louis, Holmes, Tyson, Foreman, all the big punchers have a chance.

I think the whole "fought through adversity" thing is weird. Lewis fought very good fighters but for some reason it means less because he dominated them? Lewis simply didn't have to fight through adversity.

I think though that the Briggs fight counts and the Bruno fight a little bit. Bruno gave him a pretty tough fight. Ray Mercer...

I have to disagree. Lewis had to dig deep several times.

really really good.. so long as the refs let him get away with constant holding.. pretty damn good when they didnt

really really good.. so long as the refs let him get away with constant holding.. pretty damn good when they didnt

His opponents should have bit him.

Agreed! Then he would have stopped fouling them for sure

tumblr_louv433zOk1qc3bnyo1_500.gif

those were good fights, I don't think they were "Thrilla In Manila" type fights but they were good. I don't even think Lennox had yet peaked then either. I did watch the Mercer fight last week and Ray was doing good for about 4 rounds then he got tired and Lennox took it, but it wasn't a war. The briggs fight? He had no excuse letting that be as hard as it was. And Bruno was probably winning when the fight ended but Bruno just could not take a shot, not even as well as Lennox. He never courted tough fights and he was good enough to avoid them and his chin wouldn't have taken a war anyway, that's part of the problem. I saw him digging down, god, what a great fight that Klitschko fight would have been, I think that would have been the one if Lennox had a war but it got cut short.

Its been a while since I watched it but I seem to recall Lewis coming on pretty strong as Vitali was fading. I'm going to watch that fight later.

those were good fights, I don't think they were "Thrilla In Manila" type fights but they were good. I don't even think Lennox had yet peaked then either. I did watch the Mercer fight last week and Ray was doing good for about 4 rounds then he got tired and Lennox took it, but it wasn't a war. The briggs fight? He had no excuse letting that be as hard as it was. And Bruno was probably winning when the fight ended but Bruno just could not take a shot, not even as well as Lennox. He never courted tough fights and he was good enough to avoid them and his chin wouldn't have taken a war anyway, that's part of the problem. I saw him digging down, god, what a great fight that Klitschko fight would have been, I think that would have been the one if Lennox had a war but it got cut short.

Mercer jabbed the piss out of Lewis.. I think he got a gift Lewis he did fair chap ja mon wii wii hockey and shit

Mercer jabbed the piss out of Lewis.. I think he got a gift Lewis he did fair chap ja mon wii wii hockey and shit

naw, pretty clear win for Lennox, he won the last half of the fight easily.

also looked for that Listonesque jab you said he had, didn't see it.

I put Ali, Louis, Foreman, and Homes ahead of Lewis.

I just read up on it too, lederman had it a draw and the ap had mercer winning. It's just not what I saw last week, I thought the last half was pretty boring actually and that Lennox was more active in that second half. Maybe I'll watch it again.

the 4th round was amazing... I havent watched this fight since it was live.. so I could have been all hopped up on adrenaline... nostalgia overload here

^Mercer/Lewis was close, but I really don't see how Mercer got robbed. Still, it does show how Lewis could be very inconsistent (Mercer even more so).

ya I'd heard about it for years,i watched it when cracky suggested it. sorry to say, sometimes I totally blank out on fights when they get boring so I could be wrong. the early part was great though and the fourth was a good one. I just thought Mercer got tired.

I put Ali, Louis, Foreman, and Homes ahead of Lewis.

I think Lewis had better quality wins than Holmes over all. No way you can justify rating Foreman over Lewis.

Back