How good was Lennox Lewis?

ya I'd heard about it for years,i watched it when cracky suggested it. sorry to say, sometimes I totally blank out on fights when they get boring so I could be wrong. the early part was great though and the fourth was a good one. I just thought Mercer got tired.

just finished the fight.. not boring at all man... great fight

I scored it a draw.. last round was even to me.. could have went either way.. I take back ever saying Mercer got robbed though.. I will say this .. the jab Mercer displayed was the most dominating thing by either fighter in that fight..it was like a right cross almost..

would have been interesting had he kayoed lewis, he had the power to do it. He was already old when he turned pro (30).

I think Lewis had better quality wins than Holmes over all. No way you can justify rating Foreman over Lewis.

I think it's possible.. what journeyman knocked Foreman out?

2 got Lewis...

and Foreman knocking Frazier out > any of Lewis' wins imo.. Lewis had more high quality opponents over-all though.

Holmes' wins are under-rated too imo.. he fought the David Tua's of his time..

great fighter, a thoroughbred's confidence, one of the great right hands in the history of the division, one of the most intelligent heavyweight champions. The only heavyweight champion in history who never took and easy defense, he fought the best he could find and beat them convincingly. Downside? too big, had poor movement, did not have a great chin. I don't know where to put him all time, I would put him after Holmes in the post-Ali era though.

I hear he avoided Tyson in the early years until after prison, post-prime stage of his career.

I think it's possible.. what journeyman knocked Foreman out?

2 got Lewis...

and Foreman knocking Frazier out > any of Lewis' wins imo.. Lewis had more high quality opponents over-all though.

Holmes' wins are under-rated too imo.. he fought the David Tua's of his time..
Frazier is one fight on his resume. I think an entire career deserves consideration when you're comparing guys all time.

Knocked him out? Ali KO'd him. If the question was what journeyman beat him the answer is Jimmy Young. You knew that though, thats why you emphasized with "knocked out."

Larry Holmes without question...

Poor guy sandwiched between the Ali era and mike Tyson era.

I'd probably agree. I change my mind a lot rating the strength of the HW division in first half of the 80s. There were some quality fighters without a doubt, but I'm not always sure how I'd stack it up relative to other eras.

I love lennox

img_redirect.php

I'd pick larry over anyone of the past 35 years without a doubt. He'd beat Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield or anyone else. He had more, he proved more. A complete fighter, took advantage of all the many tricks he learned from Ali and became a total warrior. He could box, he could punch hard enough to win, what was it? His first 8 defenses by kayo? More technically sound and knowledgable than the other guys (with the exception of the extremely well taught Holyfield). Now, Lewis could match intelligence with Larry but he couldn't match skills, Larry could move well enough to outbox Lennox and he had a great chin, great heart and great recuperative abilities. Remember how he damn near killed snipes after a knockdown?

Frazier is one fight on his resume. I think an entire career deserves consideration when you're comparing guys all time.

Knocked him out? Ali KO'd him. If the question was what journeyman beat him the answer is Jimmy Young. You knew that though, thats why you emphasized with "knocked out."

I have Lennox ahead of Foreman as well (and by a fair amount) but Foreman has a pretty good resume: Frazier X2, DMQ, Moorer, Lyle, ****ey, and Norton.

He took an easier route to the belt, but he still has a decent resume.

now obviously DMQ and ****ey weren't at their best, but they are decent wins.

Prime Tyson would KO Lewis in 8.

Young was a tricky fighter... Rahman and McCall.. not so much..
I will say that when Lewis wasn't bored..he was exceptional..and that showed in both of the rematches with those fighters..

I think Formean would smash him. Lennox was great though, I met him a few times at Cabbagetown, real nice guy.

Young was a tricky fighter... Rahman and McCall.. not so much..
I will say that when Lewis wasn't bored..he was exceptional..and that showed in both of the rematches with those fighters..

Lennox beat both Rahman and McCall with ease in their rematches. Foreman never avenged a loss in his entire career.

Foreman got outboxed by Briggs and Tommy Morrison.

I don't care how "tricky" Jimmy Young was. He was a journeyman who beat Foreman.

Lennox beat both Rahman and McCall with ease in their rematches. Foreman never avenged a loss in his entire career.

Foreman got outboxed by Briggs and Tommy Morrison.

I don't care how "tricky" Jimmy Young was. He was a journeyman who beat Foreman.

but he was smarter than Rahman and McCall who both sloppily lumbered towards Lewis and knocked him cold...

but he was smarter than Rahman and McCall who both sloppily lumbered towards Lewis and knocked him cold...

Not the McCall fight. Its well documented that McCall trained the exact shot that he dropped Lewis with and it was a good punch with proper timing.

I don't care how "smart" you think Young was either. He was a journeyman who probably actually had a worse overall resume than McCall. He was a HW Emanuel Augustus basiaclly. A guy who could make competitive fights with the elite.

I don't care how "smart" you think Young was either.

That's right. Ability means nothing in Seanos world - resume is everything.
Also he didn't "just" have competitive fights with the elite - he actually beat Ron Lyle, George Foreman (Frazier, Norton, Lyle, Moorer, Briggs failed here) and arguably Muhammad Ali for the world title. Notice how he's on the ropes and let's his hands down, inviting Ali to throw something, knowing that Ali couldn't do it when he was forced to lead.

Joureyman is a degrading term. Don't use it too much please.

For those saying Lewis was ducking Tyson earlier in his career, when do you think he should have fought him?

Back