How good of a stand-up comedian was George Carlin?

How good of a stand-up comedian was George Carlin?

• Total voters
He would have a field day nowadays
He would get “cancelled” after one HBO special, and relegated to working small clubs and his living his life from town to town, IMO. Comics traditionally have had a license to tell it like it is, even if it is not PC. Even they no longer have this privilege in western society today.

How did I not get the joke? He is making the point that we don't have much influence over the earth and that species dying off has nothing to do with us - which is completely wrong.

His big picture outlook is going over your head. Species have been going extinct for millions of years before humans came around. His point is it's not about saving the planet, it's about saving us. The planet is going to outlive us and whatever we attempt to do to it.

He would get “cancelled” after one HBO special, and relegated to working small clubs and his living his life from town to town, IMO. Comics traditionally have had a license to tell it like it is, even if it is not PC. Even they no longer have this privilege in western society today.

Chappelle and Burr are doing fine.

I've said this before, but he's the guy who thinks he's too cool for everything, and thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. His bit on saving the planet for example - he's completely wrong on almost everything he says. Pretty much everywhere humans have ventured throughout history, mass extinctions of wildlife have followed. No, that's not just nature doing it's thing, it's humans being significantly more advanced than the rest of life on Earth, and us wielding that power carelessly. It's something we can stop, and should.

And fucking lol at him being better than Chappelle.
Technically speaking, it *is* nature doing its thing, in a round about way. Humans evolved naturally through time. Being apex predators, and more advanced than the rest was a natural occurrence. Anything we do afterwards is considered "natural" in the sense that mother nature was running its course when we got this far. It'd be like saying apes using tools, or dolphins begging for food from humans, isn't natural, but in a sense, it is.

Chappelle and Burr are doing fine.
No one is ever going to call Chappelle out. Burr has been treading a thin line for years. He’s said some controversial things, but I’ve never really noticed it to be a staple of his gimmick.

Stil, your point is taken. Certain comedians seem to be above social criticism. Carlin may or may not have been such a case, if he were in his comedic prime today.

I’ll go out on a limb and say Hicks would get cancelled though. I have a hard time seeing some of the stuff he said about women getting through the neo-fem filter.

His big picture outlook is going over your head. Species have been going extinct for millions of years before humans came around. His point is it's not about saving the planet, it's about saving us. The planet is going to outlive us and whatever we attempt to do to it.

So, no I didn't misunderstand the joke. Yes, species have been going extinct since the beginning of time, but humans have directly caused the extinction of massive numbers of plant and animal species at a rate significantly higher than what would be considered normal if humans didn't exist. He is trying to make a point that its not about the planet, but he is completely wrong about our affect on the environment. Like I said, I would care less and take the joke less seriously if he was less of a pompous ass, but when you talk like you're so much more enlightened than everyone else, you should actually know what you're talking about.

From Wikipedia -
"The current rate of extinction of species is estimated at 100 to 1,000 times higher than natural background rates.[2][5][6][7][8][9]"
"Within 500 years of the arrival of humans between 2,500–2,000 years ago, nearly all of Madagascar's distinct, endemic and geographically isolated megafauna became extinct.[74] The largest animals, of more than 150 kilograms (330 lb), were extinct very shortly after the first human arrival, with large and medium-sized species dying out after prolonged hunting pressure from an expanding human population moving into more remote regions of the island around 1000 years ago. Smaller fauna experienced initial increases due to decreased competition, and then subsequent declines over the last 500 years.[25] All fauna weighing over 10 kilograms (22 lb) died out. The primary reasons for this are human hunting and habitat loss from early aridification, both of which persist and threaten Madagascar's remaining taxa today.[citation needed]

The eight or more species of elephant birds, giant flightless ratites in the genera Aepyornis, Vorombe, and Mullerornis, are extinct from over-hunting,[75] as well as 17 species of lemur, known as giant, subfossil lemurs. Some of these lemurs typically weighed over 150 kilograms (330 lb), and fossils have provided evidence of human butchery on many species."

This is true for pretty much every landmass that humans showed up on - when humans arrive somewhere, we wipe out most of the species that had previously existed there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

As for environmentalism being purely about saving the planet for us, that's obviously not true - we don't need rhino's to survive, why did we make an effort to save them? And, so what if we are saving the planet for our own sake? In the billions of years the earth has been around, we're the only advanced, intelligent species that has existed. That's actually kind of significant and something we should try to preserve.

Last edited:
Technically speaking, it *is* nature doing its thing, in a round about way. Humans evolved naturally through time. Being apex predators, and more advanced than the rest was a natural occurrence. Anything we do afterwards is considered "natural" in the sense that mother nature was running its course when we got this far. It'd be like saying apes using tools, or dolphins begging for food from humans, isn't natural, but in a sense, it is.

Sure, but you could apply that and use it as a defense for anything - genocide? Hey, its all natural!

Humans have a power that far exceeds any other species on the planet, and it is a power we didn't fully comprehend or wield carefully in the past. As we mature as a civilization, we should aim to be more careful with that power.

Sure, but you could apply that and use it as a defense for anything - genocide? Hey, its all natural!

Humans have a power that far exceeds any other species on the planet, and it is a power we didn't fully comprehend or wield carefully in the past. As we mature as a civilization, we should aim to be more careful with that power.
I'd say there is a difference between nature and morality, sure.

He's in my top 10 all time.

“Live and let live.” That’s my motto. And anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker.

He's amazing. The amount of material he came up with is staggering. Funny, thought provoking, will at times. Just great, missed.

I feel like Dave Chapelle is a good standup comedian but better
in a sketch setting like his show.

I personally think he's the best. Better than Chappelle.

Would have loved to hear him do a stand up special on this Covid era.

I like George a lot but what I didn't like about him is HOW PREACHY HE GOT. Like tell the fucking jokes, don't preach to me.

He's too preachy IMO.

Ha, I think the same thing

Preaching is more important than comedy ?

if you agree with what he is preaching about....

Back