How good of a stand-up comedian was George Carlin?

How good of a stand-up comedian was George Carlin?

• Total voters
_98677794_gettyimages-486869012.jpg

I've said this before, but he's the guy who thinks he's too cool for everything, and thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. His bit on saving the planet for example - he's completely wrong on almost everything he says. Pretty much everywhere humans have ventured throughout history, mass extinctions of wildlife have followed. No, that's not just nature doing it's thing, it's humans being significantly more advanced than the rest of life on Earth, and us wielding that power carelessly. It's something we can stop, and should.

And fucking lol at him being better than Chappelle.

I've said this before, but he's the guy who thinks he's too cool for everything, and thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. His bit on saving the planet for example - he's completely wrong on almost everything he says. Pretty much everywhere humans have ventured throughout history, mass extinctions of wildlife have followed. No, that's not just nature doing it's thing, it's humans being significantly more advanced than the rest of life on Earth, and us wielding that power carelessly. It's something we can stop, and should.

And fucking lol at him being better than Chappelle.

Everyone has the right to their opinion. Chappelle is great no doubt, but I prefer George Carlin style of delivery and the contents of his jokes.

Btw isn't human beings part of nature? So it's essentially nature being nature.

Hard to say. Listening to his shit now it sounds like the work of a hack, probably because of all the imitation.

I don't know if he'd be able to produce a next level today though, and fuck, so much of what he says is factually nonsense, but we knew less back then.

Hard to say, will settle with good.

I lost my virginity thanks to George Carlin. His standup about “the giant man in the sky and he’s got 10 things he does not want you to do” cost a girl I knew her faith. Gave up on the cross and hopped on the D.

He’s the best comedian ever as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
He's on the Mount Rushmore of standup.

With that stated, his observational style was more noteworthy for how enlightening his unique take on things was and the way he'd explain it, and less gut wrenching laughter. Like you probably didn't double over wiping away tears when he did his save the planet bit.

Last edited:
Back