How good is Hector Lombards chin?

Anderson cracks iron chins and glass chins alike so I don't see the need for an iron chin against him. It doesn't matter.

No such thing as an iron chin

No such thing as an iron chin

There is. People don't all take punches the same. Some people take better punches than others. Hunts chin is better than Goulets. Iron is just an adjective so I don't see the problem saying Hunt has an iron chin and Goulet has a glass chin.

All it will take is for him to get rocked or KOd once and his "chin" will be questionable around here.

Any fighter's chin would be questionable after suffering a knockout loss. It's just the way it works

There is. People don't all take punches the same. Some people take better punches than others. Hunts chin is better than Goulets. Iron is just an adjective so I don't see the problem saying Hunt has an iron chin and Goulet has a glass chin.

He always says that to convince himself that his favorite fighters don't have glass chins lol.

Anderson cracks iron chins and glass chins alike so I don't see the need for an iron chin against him. It doesn't matter.

Durability matters in any matchup. Anderson isn't some mythical fighter.

No punch/kick/elbow/knee ever lands the same so it's impossible to compare one fighter's "chin" to another fighter's "chin"

No punch/kick/elbow/knee ever lands the same

I don't know how you can take this fact and then reach the conclusion that all fighters have the same ability to take punishment.

I don't know how you can take this fact and then reach the conclusion that all fighters have the same ability to take punishment.

When did I say "all fighters have the same ability to take punishment"?

Lmao. Typical Emjay argument in here. Says something stupid and comes back with plenty of oblivious posts in kind.

Right. So when fighter X can take a shot to the dome and smile (Hendo/Hunt) and Fighter Y takes (close to) the same shot and gets KO'd (Frank Mir/Andrei Arlovski), it's safe to assume Fighter X has a better "chin" than fighter Y. Granted, there isn't a way to calculate every shot as far as power and accuracy and angle, there are certainly fighters that have better "chins" than others.

It is implied by claiming no one has an iron chin. Chin basically means ability to take punishment. Iron chin suggests a better chin than the norm. By claiming there are no iron chins, you are essentially claiming there is no variation in the ability to take punishment.

Right. So when fighter X can take a shot to the dome and smile (Hendo/Hunt) and Fighter Y takes (close to) the same shot and gets KO'd (Frank Mir/Andrei Arlovski), it's safe to assume Fighter X has a better "chin" than fighter Y. Granted, there isn't a way to calculate every shot as far as power and accuracy and angle, there are certainly fighters that have better "chins" than others.

The bolded is why you can't say Hunt or Hendo have a "better" chin than Arlovski.

Big Foot hit Arlovski with several "clean" or "strong" shots, yet Arlovski wasn't KOd. Feijao rocked and dropped Hendo. Explain that?

The next thing you're going to say is that somehow weight matters ... Yet Hunto got KOd by a MW... Right, right ... So and so hits really hard ... Manhoef is one of the hardest hitters in MMA :rolleyes: ... So how is THAT determined?!?

You guys are basically cheering for who you think is more of a superhero

It is implied by claiming no one has an iron chin. Chin basically means ability to take punishment. Iron chin suggests a better chin than the norm. By claiming there are no iron chins, you are essentially claiming there is no variation in the ability to take punishment.

No. I've clearly stated on numerous occasions that without any absolute way to determine who can withstand THE SAME STRIKE, you can't make the iron chin vs weak chin argument.

The bolded is why you can't say Hunt or Hendo have a "better" chin than Arlovski.

Big Foot hit Arlovski with several "clean" or "strong" shots, yet Arlovski wasn't KOd. Feijao rocked and dropped Hendo. Explain that?

The next thing you're going to say is that somehow weight matters ... Yet Hunto got KOd by a MW... Right, right ... Manhoef is one of the hardest hitters in MMA :rolleyes: ... So how is THAT determined?!?

You guys are basically cheering for who you think is more of a superhero

No. I've clearly stated on numerous occasions that without any absolute way to determine who can withstand THE SAME STRIKE, you can't make the iron chin vs weak chin argument.

So because it's not an exact science then there is nothing to it?

Of course you can. You don't see any exact empirical analysis of things like hand speed, punching and kicking power (with a few exceptions like sports science which no one takes seriously) and grappling strength yet fighter's abilities are still approximated. No, the analysis of iron or glass chins isn't an exact science, but it certainly is something that can be observed, approximated and discussed.

So because it's not an exact science then there is nothing to it?

What's "it"?

If you're going to make a claim, then have something to back it up.

Of course you can. You don't see any exact empirical analysis of things like hand speed, punching and kicking power (with a few exceptions like sports science which no one takes seriously) and grappling strength yet fighter's abilities are still approximated. No, the analysis of iron or glass chins isn't an exact science, but it certainly is something that can be observed, approximated and discussed.

No one said it can't be discussed. The problem is there's bias in the observations, so you get ridiculous discussions... OFTEN

Same thing goes for rankings

What's "it"?

No one said it can't be discussed. The problem is there's bias in the observations, so you get ridiculous discussions... OFTEN

As with anything discussed in sports. It doesn't mean there are no better or worse chins.

As with anything discussed in sports. It doesn't mean there are no better or worse chins.

Dude it's not even worth it. He's ALWAYS right. Since we can put science to it, Hunt's chin is not better than most. We just have people we like and don't like and that's how we determine who can take punches.

What's "it"?

No one said anything ridiculous except for you. I'll let you have the last word, as you always do. You're wrong though.

Back