How good do you think Gus is?

DysDave

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've seen everything thrown about here about Gus, pretty much the same way Weidman was touted as the greatest thing ever after beating Silva. But I don't get why a solid fight with Jones (whether he won or not is irrelevant) suddenly puts him on an even footing?

Gus could be kryptonite for Jones without being better than everyone at LHW. You need look no further than Cain, JDS and Werdum for a perfect rock/scissor/paper example that sums this up. Cain is (probably) the best of the 3, and most would agree he handily beats JDS mostly. But Werdum could probably give him troubles, since his strengths play directly into Cain's preferred way of fighting, and would most likely force Cain to try plan B. Is Werdum better than Cain now? Well, JDS would almost definitely smoke him if they fought. And you can go in circles like this forever.

I think Gus is damn good. I don't think he would beat the guys Jones beat the same way, if he beats them at all. I think Machida would beat Gus, not sure about Belfort, would favor him over Rashad.

He matches up great against Jones physically, and has the perfect style to give Jones trouble- polished standup and decent TDD as we saw, coupled with the range to hold him off. But let's not get carried away, he's not as far ahead of everyone as Jones is, not by a long shot. The talk of him being the strongest at LHW, or being included in P4P discussions is insanity. I don't even think he's stronger than Jones, he was just strong enough and long enough to avoid being clinched up too hard.

Calm down and wait and see how well he matches up against some other top fighters first. He looks like a nightmare matchup for wrestlers, but a great striker would give him issues IMO. Jones has the tools to cope with most wrestlers and strikers the same way.

He just won 2-3 rounds off the champ in most peoples eyes. His footwork, TDD and striking would give anybody a lot of problems. He is the deserving #2 guy.

He is top level MMA fighter,except for his cardio he is full package...

I think he's really really good. I don't think he'll look as dominant as Jones against the top of LHW due to styles, but i don't see anyone besides Jones beating him and I thought he won last Saturday.

Gus is on the same level as Jones in my opinion.

It's not just a single fight, it's a great streak where he's shown serious evolution, faced increasing competition and it culminated in a performance where he tied all the facets of MMA together against the best fighter in the world. Imo he's without doubt elite and he's well rounded enough to be a handful for anyone.

Might he lose to other elite MMArtists? Yeah, but they're elite so...

Gus could be kryptonite for Jones without being better than everyone at LHW. You need look no further than Cain, JDS and Werdum for a perfect rock/scissor/paper example that sums this up. Cain is (probably) the best of the 3, and most would agree he handily beats JDS mostly. But Werdum could probably give him troubles, since his strengths play directly into Cain's preferred way of fighting, and would most likely force Cain to try plan B. Is Werdum better than Cain now? Well, JDS would almost definitely smoke him if they fought. And you can go in circles like this forever.

Cain would keep it standing and annihilate Werdum imo.

Last edited:
He is top level MMA fighter,except for his cardio he is full package...

I think his cardio is fine too. He got put on queer street by some serious shots. That will steal any cardio he has left. That was an insane pace for 4 rounds and even in the last round, out on his feet, he still defended shots and and and...

His cardio is great. had he not been rocked, I'm confident that he'd have maintained that pace.

I got rocked like that in a fight and it was like my gas tank immediately hit empty. A concussion will do that.

Had his cardio been better, he would have beaten Jones

He did beat Jones. I think people here haven't spent a lot of time fighting, and don't have any clue what a concussion will do to your cardio. He was basically out on his feet at the end of 4 and never recovered. Simply not being knocked out in the 5th was quite a feat of cardio in itself.

Had he won round 5 on all 3 cards, it would have been a majority draw.

His Cardio was fine. It was the barrage he absorbed at the end of rd 4 that took so much from him. I can confidently say that elbow at the end of rd 4 won jones the fight.

Jon jones is a phenom, and gus gave him the fight of his life, even when all previous legends couldnt do shit to jones.
Its not like gus landed some lucky punches, he flat out looked better than jones at times.
Alexander gustafsson is going to be a very very good mma fighter, probably a future champion.

I would actually say Weidman hype was a little derailed by the Silva fight rather than bolstered by it. Many among us thought weidman was the best thing ever before the Silva fight. Some now think Silva actually is better than him despite the win since Silva was clowning so much and weidman failed on a few TDs. Sorry just had to get that out of the way.

Now with regard to Gus. Everyone already new he was excellent. I thought that Jones would easily beat him but that Gus would become a dominant champ at LHW if Jones ever moved to HW permanently. Now I obviously still think that would be the case but I now also realise that he is nearly as good as Jones, which I didn't think was the case

Gus is a top notch fighter. But you're right he could have trouble with Machida. Belfort he walks through but I think Rashad has a shot (literally).

The idea that Werdum lasts a round with Cain is laughable. Cain wins easily by the same "plan B" as he used to beat Nog.

I think he'd be good enough to be the lhw champ for a while

He did a great performance due his game-plan and his anti-Jones style. I think Jones is better fighter and Machida may be too. Depite this i think he deserve the re-match.

He did a great performance due his game-plan and his anti-Jones style. I think Jones is better fighter and Machida may be too. Depite this i think he deserve the re-match.

Jones lost that fight and Gus showed that he is at least on the same level as Jones is.

Machida better than Gus is just trolling on highest level. Or just stupid.

Back