How good do you think Gus is?

I think that was the best Gus we'll see for a long time.
I think that was the worst JBJ we'll see for a long time.

No, what we saw was just Jones facing an equally talented and skilled guy his own size.

I think he's pretty damn good and coming into his own which he proved in the Jones fight he has definitely come a long way with his overall MMA skill.

No, what we saw was just Jones facing an equally talented and skilled guy his own size.

I'll bet that won't be the case for the rematch. Well the size won't change, I guess.

I'll bet that won't be the case for the rematch. Well the size won't change, I guess.

Agreed, Jones development has slowed down while Gus seems to be evolving faster. Gus probably finishes Jones in the rematch.

Absolutely top tier. Will probably be a Top 5 guy for years.

Champion material. He could beat Jones in a rematch, he already arguably did to a lot of fans.

He was 15-1 before Jones and before his move to Alliance camp. He should be 16-1 and champ IMHO

I would like to see him fight Texiera for a rematch (if he wins) title shot for Teixera if he wins.

I think that was the best Gus we'll see for a long time.
I think that was the worst JBJ we'll see for a long time.

Gustafsson was 15-1. And he boxed the shit out of Jones. This post ^ is stupid.

That fight was too close for Gus not to get a shot at a quick rematch.

I think he and Jones are the best fighters at LHW, like 1A, 1B that close. I think Gus will win the rematch when it happens but they are about as equal as it gets at 205.

I find it interesting how well Gus and Phil were able to prepare one another for their last fights, Gus with his great footwork and TDD(similar to Machida) and Phil with his wrestling size and clinch game.(somewhat similar to Jones)

I feel like Gus will get better than Jones due to superior training partners.

Future champion, as good as Jones now and (imo) a higher potential ceiling

Jones lost that fight and Gus showed that he is at least on the same level as Jones is.

Machida better than Gus is just trolling on highest level. Or just stupid.

It's not trolling or stupid at all. While i don't know if Machida is better, I'd love to see that fight. It would be a perfect example of styles making a fight different. Machida is a much better pure striker than Jones and like Gus, has excellent takedown defense. Machida's biggest problem with has become apparent in his fights is he doesn't initiate enough. He'd have to in order to beat Gus or Jones due to their size advantages.

If Jones was not in the division I think Gus would be champion.

I think Gus is a very good fighter who can win a lot of fights purely in the standup and has the best boxing at LHW and possibly in the UFC outside of Mousasi.

When Gus can stop TD's he is a very dangerous fighter on the feet and very difficult to beat but I think Jones is a bit better.

Jones lost that fight and Gus showed that he is at least on the same level as Jones is.

Machida better than Gus is just trolling on highest level. Or just stupid.

Actually Jones won the fight factually and he has the belt.

Get over it and move on

Last edited:
Although I think some top 10 fighters can beat Gus while Jones dominates everyone else, the fact that Gus was extremely close to beating the champ (who has looked unbeatable) says a lot. If all the top 10 guys were to fight each other, I think Gus would end up in the top 3 (and Jones #1 of course, even though if he would lose to Gus).

I didn't think too much of Gus prior to the Jones fight. Good fighter but like Jones, had the gift of size and a great frame for MMA.

After the fight, he definitely could be champion if he works on a few areas.

The guy has to improve his defense. He had his hands down most of the fight and just let himself get blasted in the face over and over. He also needs to work on finishing techniques. He landed on Jones over and over but never put him into trouble or tried to put him in a finishing position.

His performance was very reminiscent of Frankie Edgar. Constantly moving, throwing tons of strikes but nothing too damaging and never coming close to finishing. Because of that style, you almost always go to decision and in close fights like Frankie has, you can't risk it.

I didn't think too much of Gus prior to the Jones fight. Good fighter but like Jones, had the gift of size and a great frame for MMA.

After the fight, he definitely could be champion if he works on a few areas.

The guy has to improve his defense. He had his hands down most of the fight and just let himself get blasted in the face over and over. He also needs to work on finishing techniques. He landed on Jones over and over but never put him into trouble or tried to put him in a finishing position.

His performance was very reminiscent of Frankie Edgar. Constantly moving, throwing tons of strikes but nothing too damaging and never coming close to finishing. Because of that style, you almost always go to decision and in close fights like Frankie has, you can't risk it.

Lol at "nothing to damaging". Could insert about 20 different pics that say otherwise if I wanted to. Jones face looked like it had suffered a severe allergic reaction. Jones has a good chin, most other fighers would not have been able to take that kind of punishment.

I think he's the sickest counter puncher in the game next to Anderson Silva. :)

He just might be the second best lhw ever (not the second greatest, mind you).

Back