How faulty is Fallout 3 on the PS3?

Luger

Rabbi of Platinum Nation
Banned
Reaction score
The PS3 is pretty cheap and there are many cheap bundles of games, I

I recently played and beat both New Vegas and Fallout 3 on PS3.

Having played both on 360 the difference was noticeable. The graphics were pretty much the same but the PS3 versions were more prone to glitches and freezes from my experience.

That being said i put 30+ hours into each game on PS3, and was mostly issue free for the most part. New Vegas froze once, and had a few minor glitches and Fallout 3 froze 3 times i think and again had some minor glitches. But both versions also had some slowdown from time to time, which didn't happen AS often on 360 from MY experience.

PC is obviously the best choice, and i think the 360 versions are also superior but its not unplayable on PS3, and Fallout has minor issues across all platforms.

I had a PS3 Slim mind you, and it performed admirably. You can get a PS3 for cheap and the games for dirt cheap. Certainly worth it.

Both games have been patched and have been quite playable for years. Must plays, some of the best games last generation.

Fallout 3 is a MUST play even though it might freeze a few times. You can easily play for 100 hours if this is your first time.

From what I heard, it has an unfixable glitch where your game gets more prone to bugs the bigger your save file gets until it becomes unplayable. Still, you should be able to beat it just fine.

From what I heard, it has an unfixable glitch where your game gets more prone to bugs the bigger your save file gets until it becomes unplayable. Still, you should be able to beat it just fine.

True, i didn't start having major issues with Fallout 3 on PS3 until i was like 30 hours in. And i had just started Broken Steel.

I ended up ordering it. I love the setting and their previous games.
It sounds like how epic the game is, it makes up for the glitches.
Thanks for the replies.

Started playing Fallout again to clean up some achievements. Almost forgot how addicting this game is.

New Vegas would freeze on me often. I'm guessing FO3 would be worse. I still finished it so I mean it's a nuisance but not unbearable. Just make multiple save slots.

It ran okay on my PS3. Of course, you'd get freezes every now and then, so it's good to save often. Also, I hear it's pretty bad on the GoTY edition.

loved the game I'm going to play it now just thinking about it

I don't think it's a bug, just when your save file reaches ~12mb+ the immense amount of information saved causes your game to run sluggishly/crash.

I've had several save files on both 3 and NV reaching above and beyond that point and they were still perfectly playable, although very annoying sometimes. Especially during the DLCs.

If it's really acting up you can quit out to the title screen and clear your cache to improve the gameplay for awhile.

Saw this in another forum:

In case any Fallout 3 gamers didn't know this trick to stop game freeze and PS3 lock ups, I want to share info that could end most of your game freezes.

- delete game DATA,not the SAVE files (optional)
- load a save file to continue a game
- bring up your Pipboy
- Then pause (hit start)

You should see the "Save" option unavailable or "grayed out", then you'll see the HDD yellow light showing activity, since this could take 10 to 30 mins of game data installing to the HDD, enjoy doing something in the mean time.

Check you PS3 HDD yellow light to see if disc activity stopped, if so then the game should be ready to play without locking up.

It worked PERFECTLY for me after I pushed thru Point Lookout and then resuming the story mode and the game play was very smooth. My game didn't even freeze when I had Dogmeat or Fawkes following me and V.A.T.S. didn't lock up either.

For the note, I got an old fat PS3 with a 320gb HDD and I have 15mb size saves and nothing was affected.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much any Bethesda is going to be unplayable on consoles. If you must play Fallout 3, look into investing for a PC.

Pretty much any Bethesda is going to be unplayable on consoles. If you must play Fallout 3, look into investing for a PC.

If its unplayable on consoles why did i put 50+ hrs into both Fallout 3 and New Vegas on 360, and beat all DLC for both with minor issues?

Get a PC if you want a experience with "less" issues and improved visuals, and access to mods.

But the games are playable on console, such a dumb statement to make.

played it on the ps3 when it came out. no freezes, some pop-ups. it's not unplayable nor did it have game changing performance issues. it's a great game with an ugly engine, even for 08.

skyrim was the mother of all bitches on ps3. unplayable when the file size reached a certain number, but fallout 3 was def playable.

Reading this thread makes me glad I quit that game soon as I got out of the vault
Boring and unplayable due to glitches?
Sounds amazing

Back