how fast would you expect to this run?

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
On a threadmill set to a 2 degree incline you need to run 2.4 km within 12 mins.

Next, you get 1 min rest then have to do the same run again in under 10 mins.

Answering honestly could you do this within this time and if not how long would it take. I did the first run in 10.05 but only made it to 2 km after 10 Mins in the second.

So you ran the first 2.4km in 10mins 5secs instead of the required 12mins?

First part yeah.

Second part... 2.4km is 1.5 miles so that second one is a 6:40 mile pace..

Maybe but I'm not going to try. Guarantee 80% of people can't do that in their current shape.

I'm assuming it's for some sort of fitness testing.

It's a reasonable goal, for someone who has been consistently putting work into running moderate distances.

That should be doable for any decent runner. I can do 5K in slightly under 20 so 4.8k in 22 mins with a 1 minute break doesn't sound too bad. Not sure about the incline though.

You also need to take into account the room you're running in. Is it air conditioned or is it hot and humid? Running in a hot and humid room will negatively impact your time pretty significantly.

Last edited:
Not sure about the incline though.

A small incline like that is usually used to try and offset the "assistance" the treadmill gives, making it more similar to running on a regular surface

First one is a 12km/h pace and the second at a 15km/h pace. Assuming there's an appropriate warm up before the first run it shouldn't be a monumental challenge to most aerobically trained people.

This sounds like a military test?

Anyhow, if you have full 12 minutes in the first half, why not use them? Then on the second half you can push the pace more knowing that you have more in the tank.

Of course, if this is a test I imagine you would rather have a more competitive time than the minimum requirements. However having it in your mind that it is possible to do, may be of some help.

If u ran the first in 10min why didn't u just run 2.3km and then spend 2 min walking the last 100m and end up getting 3min rest?

Like Tosa said, you should be running t a 1-2 percent grade on a treadmill to more closely simulate running outdoors. I do this every time I use a treadmill.

I try this workout tomorrow morning when I go to the gym, It shouldn't be a problem but I run a lot.

First one is a 12km/h pace and the second at a 15km/h pace. Assuming there's an appropriate warm up before the first run it shouldn't be a monumental challenge to most aerobically trained people.

This, pretty much.

If u ran the first in 10min why didn't u just run 2.3km and then spend 2 min walking the last 100m and end up getting 3min rest?

You'd be more tired that way than if you timed the first run so that you finish it in 12 minutes.

-

I couldn't do this because I only do the occasional slow jog. You need to run from time to time and have a solid aerobic base to do this.

I could do this in reverse order at a one degree incline. The slow run first seems like a reasonable progression for me.

Because the lower you run the more points you get. I was trying to avoid mentioning this but its one of the tests to get into the royal marine commandos. For example if you score under 7 mins you get six or whatever points. For 10 mins you get something like 2 points.

I've read the second run is just a best effort run and isn't scored though but I don't know how true that is.

Head out to lightfighter.net and inquire there. There are a lot of military types from all over the world who can answer your questions. I do know the Royal Marines are very competitive and you need to crush the PT to be considered.

Head out to lightfighter.net and inquire there. There are a lot of military types from all over the world who can answer your questions. I do know the Royal Marines are very competitive and you need to crush the PT to be considered.

This is correct.

How long do you have to prepare, OP? With your current level of fitness it should be easy to set up a training protocol to improve your time.
Alternating sessions of (say 4-6) multiple fast (10-11 mph plus) half-mile repeats with set rest times, and challenging 4-6 K runs (8-9 mph ish) - something like that could shave a fair bit off your first time and leave you with enough stamina to crank out another fast 2.4k

Something similar worked for me in a similar fitness test where we had to do 3 miles in under 18mins to get a perfect score.

23 minutes.

but like everyone else said, use up the whole time, pace yourself. you are on a tread mill, so you can set the pace you want and just cruise, as much as you can, through the first bit.

If it's 6 points for running 2.4km in under 7 minutes they should be taking up track and field, not enlisting.

Back