How exactly is Reebok profiting in all this ?

Right now it's still prob an investment. Reebok has become bigger and bigger over the years. It turned itself from an ''uncool brand' in the shadows of nike and adidas into a hipster brand.

Just look at what they did with crossfiit.

I'm assuming you didn't know that Reebok is owned by Adidas.

Those Colby Covington fight kits must be flying off the shelves.

Cheap advertising in the grand scheme of things

Pretty much. Adidas just offered James Hardcan 200 mil to wear their gear while he lets D-leaguers posterize him.

Reebok can sponsor the entire UFC roster for years for the same price.

MMA is very popular and they have an exclusive sponsorship deal with the best MMA org. Dana said UFC 190 was the biggest ppv in 2015. They had their logo plastered all over 26 fighters and have an inside octagon logo. That's just one event and they do every UFC event. The money they gave Dana is chump change compared to what they would have to cash out for that kind of payed promotion.

It's only on Sherdog that everyone pretends Reebok is trash. I'm guessing it's mostly people who haven't seen the inside of an athletic store. They have exclusive rights to many sports, including the NHL. They are actually a really popular apparely brand when it comes to sports apparel. Also, the kits launched in July. Shocking that the entire world isn't dressed in them by August.

Also, the kits themselves get bashed hard on here, but when they first launched, everyone I actually watched the fights with were all talking about how good they were. I probably won't by any unless Diaz or Silva fight again, but that's beside the point.

And here I was thinking that sherdog just clued me in that my entire life I've been wearing the "uncool" brand.

Millions of people will be viewing their name and product and associating it with the highest level of an emerging global sport.

i for one forgot reebok existed until I saw all their Xfit advertising and now ufc deal.

With that 70 mil they should've sponsored a NASCAR for a few years but hey whatever I get it.

I'll prob look and see what non-ufc merch they have to offer. So I guess it worked out for this potential customer.

They say all publicity is good publicity... We certainly talk about Reebok a lot.

Then again people talked a lot about Lance Armstrong and it didn't turn out well for him at all.

1) The kit and uniforms and apparel haven't been a hit

2) Dana's brought a lot of bad press with his words

3) There isn't much talk of big sales since this merger

4) They keep paying out thousands to fighters for events

How exactly is Reebok gaining in all this ?

Tough to say, it would be very interesting to see the numbers at the end of the year how much increase in profit they seen vs the payout

They got people like Ronda wearing Reebok for everyone to see so that alone is worth paying all these nobodys I think

Reebok isn't in the business of selling top-15 xyz fighter fight kits, y'all. They're into associating their brand with combat sports so they can develop and sell training apparel beyond crossfit. Girls at the gym will be wearing Honda Housey signature sports bras and tights within the next year or so.

Seems like they're paying a really small advertising fee, from what I can tell.

It's a small side bet for a company that is potentially drifting into obscurity. Not enough money to speed their descent along significantly, but an outside chance at a decent payoff down the road if things go well.

(The rollout has been a disaster, though.)

Reebok doesn't pay the fighters directly every event, the money is paid in installments to UFC over several years whom then allocate to fighters as they see fit.

What was the deal 60m for 6 years ? so 10m a year.And you get Ronda rousey wearing your gear.+ evryone else sounds like a bargain.

And when i went onto there site they had lots of sold out ufc stuff so its obviously selling.

i've never even understood apparel in mma. i guess i can see it for shorts. but shirts? they don't wear shirts during their fights. walk-in shirts don't appeal to me.

Reebok isn't in the business of selling top-15 xyz fighter fight kits, y'all. They're into associating their brand with combat sports so they can develop and sell training apparel beyond crossfit. Girls at the gym will be wearing Honda Housey signature sports bras and tights within the next year or so.

Possibly similarly as in they do in the Crossfit world, they may be looking to market their own equipment, "boxes" (training facilities/gyms) and perhaps even training certifications.

Not sure why this even merits a response.

I thought the days of Affliction/Tapout bros wearing $40 tees were long gone after the financial crash of ~ 2009. Now the UFC wants me to buy a Reebok jersey for $80.

The more things change, the more they don't.

Reebok got the deal of the century from Zuffa. This deal bare minimum should've been more in the 20-25 million dollars a year. The amount of advertising alone they get out of it is unbelievable for the little amount they paid. If they sell some shit, great, if not oh well they get more advertising out of it then they ever could with the money spent.

I'm sure behind the scenes Reebok was high fiving the hell out of each other.

P.S.: I'm not sure why everyone bashes Reebok name across the board so much. Some of you act like its LA Gear or some shit.

Back