How does USADA pick and choose who they "randomly" test.

brainwash

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone read up on this. Why are some fighters get tested 6-7 times and some seem to get tested maybe once or twice.

Higher-ranked fighters and fighters with suspicious physique are tested more often. That's my personal observation.

Blind folded throwing darts at a big board of names ?

Blindfolded_man_throwing_darts_BLD009417.jpg

Has anyone read up on this. Why are some fighters get tested 6-7 times and some seem to get tested maybe once or twice.

I'm also curious as to why it takes them a month to get the results back? What is the sense in even testing them right before a fight only to have it announced a week after the fight after the damage is done. How convenient the UFC can now reduce the payout after they have cashing in on the PPV dollars. FFS get this shit back in a weeks time.

Some guy in the parking lot gives them an envelope.

I'm also curious as to why it takes them a month to get the results back? What is the sense in even testing them right before a fight only to have it announced a week after the fight after the damage is done. How convenient the UFC can now reduce the payout after they have cashing in on the PPV dollars. FFS get this shit back in a weeks time.
Yes, that's what happened at UFC 200.

The reason that it takes long is because they have a lot of tests to do. The UFC is not their only client. In case you missed it, there's some kind of thing called the Olympics going on.

It feels completely bizarre. In some cases they are doing the smart thing and testing the hell out of people that should be - champs, contenders, and people that just look physically jacked. These all make sense to focus on, especially people fighting for titles. But sometimes they seemingly don't want to focus on someone that they should. This happened with Claudia Gadelha recently. She was in amazing shape and getting ready to fight for the belt, so they decided to not test her for like two or three months. That's bad. Last thing the sport needs is for someone to win a belt, then piss hot two days later.

And we also have
Francis Ngannou to scratch our heads over. Dude is fucking JACKED, and on a killing spree, and last I heard was hardly, if at all, being tested. Are they trying to lay a trap where he suddenly gets tested every couple days right before his next fight? Do they look at this guy and say "he's so small he couldn't be on something"?

Very confusing.

Fighters who fight more tested more, fighters who are higher ranked tested more..

Thing to remember is, we are less than a year into the actual testing program (Which started October 1st) so they were playing catchup> They had to have an initial strategy to get things rolling and the initial strategy was

1) test people with fights scheduled
2) test people high in the rankings
3) test selected "others" so we saw heavy testing of for instance Thiago Alves who hasnt actually fought under USADA

If you break it down, heres the number of samples per fighter ranked v unranked

5c9bd385451e47708d565bb981163721.png

So the bulk of the testing has been "ranked fighters" but they also fight more generally, are on main cards (which usada test - while commission test the prelims which distorts the figures somewhat)

And if you break it down further, heres top 5 v top 10 v top 15

673912b9ae244327a738f4f7b5a5fd80.png

So again, top ranked guys tested more than lower ranked guys.

But, just because that has been the strategy up to now, doesnt mean it will be going forward. You will probably see going forward there will be a much broader and more even range of testing.

but they had to have some sort of initial strategy.

They can smell a fighters fear, that's how USADA decide.

You know that some tests take nearly that long to run right? and the two labs are handling 60,000 samples a year

If you don't know by now, then you don't want to know. It's been explained how they do things, and why tests take the time they do to come back.

If you don't know by now, then you don't want to know. It's been explained how they do things, and why tests take the time they do to come back.

Oh I've read how their methods. I don't believe them in that it takes so long for results. I question their motives for giving a test on a date that gives results long after the fight has happened. I might have my tinfoil hat on, but something about those late test results only benefiting the UFC rubs me wrong.

I thought the use of the term random didn't mean a random "who", but a random "when"

Back