How does Anderson Silvas striking compare with Gustaffsons?

Dude Gus blows him out the water, did you not see Anderson's last fight.

Anderson gets overrated for what he did to Forrest Griffin, Leben and Bonnar who aren't exactly the best boxers. When he fought Griffin he was in the Matrix, but against Weidman he just got caught/wasn't serious/was clowning etc.

Gus and Anderson are the same hieght and reach? I call shenanigans.

I'd say Gus has the handspeed and footwork but Silva has such amazing timing and head movement that he doesn't really need footwork to be effective. AS also seems to finish very consistently and I'd guess he has better power, or maybe is just better at finding that perfect spot on the chin. Silva definitely has the advantage in kicks, knees, elbows, etc., but I think Gus could give him a very tough fight. On the other hand, I wonder if Gus's aggressiveness would play into AS's style.

I think gus has better size strength and reach

I heard his reach was listed incorrectly. I hear its more like 81, which makes sense.

I think gus matches up to jones better than silva does. Dont see silva withstanding the takedowns

Except he got KTFO by a wrestler with good boxing.

Theres too much weight placed on the theory of anderson being able to levitate.

What he does isnt magic, and there are boxers and kick boxers who could pick it apart.

I feel your pain.

But this isnt 2010 anymore bro.

he was clowning, and thats better than being KOed by a one trick pony wrestler.

Anderson is better everywhere. Getting a wake up call (I know, ironic) from Weidman doesn't change that.

Silva didn't even throw any counters that fight. He kind of lost his fucking mind in there. Then he got very lazy defensively and moved right into Weidman's left hook, which is his best punch.

I think Weidman takes the rematch but only on the ground. I don't see him winning on the feet again. The win wasn't a fluke, Weidman's very legit, but the way he won is very very unlikely to be repeated.

Gus never even staggered Jones despite hitting him flush in the face several times so I'd say Gus has pillow fists.

Also, Gus got beat in the champion rounds by this combination-- lead elbow, inside leg kick, inside leg kick, spinning elbow and repeat, over and over for 2 rounds. So Gus aint exactly the best at adjusting to a predictable combination.

Gus is better everywhere and could even take Silva down to soften him up if he wanted.

Anderson is harder to hit IMO. He doesn't get enough credit for those quick shots he avoid from Belfort.

Anderson is harder to hit IMO. He doesn't get enough credit for those quick shots he avoid from Belfort.

But when he does get hit, he goes down. Don't forget he was dropped multiple times by pillow fists Sonnen and of course put to sleep by a light hook from weidman

But when he does get hit, he goes down. Don't forget he was dropped multiple times by pillow fists Sonnen and of course put to sleep by a light hook from weidman

Out of his 38 fights how often has he gone down? I think you're confusing him w/ Wanderlei Silva who even at his best got dropped by Sakuraba who's not known for his striking.

Except he got KTFO by a wrestler with good boxing.

Theres too much weight placed on the theory of anderson being able to levitate.

What he does isnt magic, and there are boxers and kick boxers who could pick it apart.

I feel your pain.

But this isnt 2010 anymore bro.

This. Any much as the AS love fest makes me laugh, time to face reality.

I think Gus is a better pure boxer. But Anderson is (of course) better using all his limbs/points.
Also, Anderson is a finisher with his striking. Gus is normally an outpointer.

Anderson is better everywhere. Getting a wake up call (I know, ironic) from Weidman doesn't change that.

Silva didn't even throw any counters that fight. He kind of lost his fucking mind in there. Then he got very lazy defensively and moved right into Weidman's left hook, which is his best punch.

I think Weidman takes the rematch but only on the ground. I don't see him winning on the feet again. The win wasn't a fluke, Weidman's very legit, but the way he won is very very unlikely to be repeated.

Silva tried to land alot but ended up missing alot of shots. At one point he was running forward and missed three punches. Weidman even dropped his hands at one point and Anderson missed. Only difference is Anderson makes a big scene when he drops his hands so everybody see's it.

Seriously, not even nearly in the same ballpark.

Anderon is about 2 and a half light years ahead of everyone else in MMA.

He knocks people out with front kicks, body strikes, jabs... and his head movement and footwork is legendary.

Gus has a long way to go and a lot to learn, but he's only 26. He drops his hands way too much, and doesn't have a solid striking guard. He ate way too many kicks from Jones.. and of course when he threw that body jab he left himself WIDE open and Jones countered with that spinning elbow which stole the fight from Gus' pocket.

tumblr_m6e7loOFzd1r7dkoh.gif

Anderson leaves his hands down just as much, if not more. Also if you have a brain you will realize that there are many benefits to having your hands low, and that it is not always a bad thing. Please stop listening to Rogan.

On to topic. If this was an MMA fight, I would pick gus to win. gus is bigger, stronger, and has far better wrestling. I also think gus has better hands, and that he keeps his range better than Anderson.

Anderson definitely has the more diverse attack, better head movement, better timing on counters, and better angles ( that's debatable )

if this was a striking match only, i'd give Anderson the edge. I doubt he could knock out Gus though, I do think Gus could knock anderson out though, if he connected flush.

Last edited:
If we're talking currently, then maybe it's questionable- because Silva is fkn 38. Come on, how many fighters can still have the speed, movement and reactions he does at that age? Fighters 10 years younger would kill to be as good as he is now.

The fact his wrestling is subpar doesn't detract from his striking, he would be matching LWs for speed. Does anyone think Pettis or Also are faster than Silva? I doubt it. That alone tells you how good he is.

At his peak, Silva was probably the best all-round striker we've seen in MMA. Some have better hands, some better feet, some better footwork, but no one could combine everything as completely as he does. The fact that he FINALLY got beat at the age of 38 negates all that? GTFO.

And fwiw, I think Weidman probably takes the rematch, but I sure as hell wouldn't bank on it. And if he does take it, he takes it on the ground- I don't think he'll stand with Silva again this time.

Back