How does Anderson Silvas striking compare with Gustaffsons?

ethanfranklin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Both are around the same height and reach, with Anderson officially a few inches more reach and Gus a couple of inches taller.

silvagriffin1.gif

Anderson until recently was thought of as the best striker currently fighting in the game, but was undone, by some cute counter boxing basics and a guy with similar reach.

alexander-gustaffson-silva.gif

Gus lost to Jones on paper, however much we argue about it, but he did spend half the fight beating an 8 point striker and defending the takedown.

Both these guys fight on the outside, with Anderson tending to pacing his opponents and leaping on vulnerabilities. Gus has done that periodically, but his game like his chin, is solid and elusive.

How do these two approaches compare, and who would have the edge if they ever crossed paths?

Last edited:
Gus has better footwork, but Anderson is better in every other area.

Gustaffson may have better hands, but overall Anderson has more tools. When Anderson has a feel for his opponent's timing he is excellent at finishing them. Gustaffson is a good finisher too but Anderson's ability to finish saves him form potentially losing decisions or getting grinded out.

Gustaffson also has better footwork to avoid takedowns. I think Anderson has better footwork and head movement agaisnt strikers though.

Silva likes to counter strike, using "strike when the opponent strikes" type tactic or "evade and strike back". He usually will stand outside the opponent's reach and lure him in with minor attacks from afar like jabs and leg kicks. He is a more complete striker with kicks/knees/double collar tie attacks to complement his hands.
Gustaffson is more of a boxer, uses a lot more footwork and combinations.
He will go side to side using his footwork so it's hard to hit him and then charge straight forward with a combination.

That's what I've noticed anyway.

Silva likes to counter strike, using "strike when the opponent strikes" type tactic. He usually will stand outside the opponent's reach and lure him in with minor attacks from afar like jabs and leg kicks. He is a more complete striker with kicks/knees/double collar tie attacks to complemet his hands.
Gustaffson is more of a boxer, uses a lot more footwork and combinations.
he will go side to side so it's hard to hit him and then charge straight forward with a combination.

It would be an awesome fight.

Gus is a great striker but Anderson is Anderson

Andy's striking is better than Gus's, but Gus' is no slouch. Of course, Anderson's striking will probably get discredited because of his fight w/Weidman.

Is this sub-superfight talk?

No, they cant fight, as Andersons career is almost over.

Unless Gus won the rematch, and so did Anderson.

I was just wondering how people found their different approaches and attributes on the feet.

IMHO, the two are not comparable. AS is the person who all others are measured by. Gus is great, but do you even think his striking is better than Bones? Remember when AS came in, rag dolled Chris Leben and then went on to destroy the Champ (Franklin)? He showed knees, angles, crisp punches, good defense and while Gus has shown that as well, it's not on the same level.

Seriously, not even nearly in the same ballpark.

Anderon is about 2 and a half light years ahead of everyone else in MMA.

He knocks people out with front kicks, body strikes, jabs... and his head movement and footwork is legendary.

Gus has a long way to go and a lot to learn, but he's only 26. He drops his hands way too much, and doesn't have a solid striking guard. He ate way too many kicks from Jones.. and of course when he threw that body jab he left himself WIDE open and Jones countered with that spinning elbow which stole the fight from Gus' pocket.

Anderson is in another world. There is no comparison.

And that's not a bad thing.

It just is.

Anderson is in another world. There is no comparison.

And that's not a bad thing.

It just is.

Except he got KTFO by a wrestler with good boxing.

Theres too much weight placed on the theory of anderson being able to levitate.

What he does isnt magic, and there are boxers and kick boxers who could pick it apart.

I feel your pain.

But this isnt 2010 anymore bro.

Ofc Silva got better footwork. Gus vs him would be interesting because Gus strikes from odd angles. It would be great to see how they match up with each other.

Pure striking, anderson is the best ever in mma. I dont know who would be second but I know it wouldnt be close

Back