how do you wash your gi?

protip: turn that motherfucker inside-out every other wash. the inside (especially the pits) gets more stank on it than the outside.

protip that'll piss people off:

if you want a nice, comfy gi, tumble dry low with a few towels, dryer sheets, and wool balls.

if you want a sandpaper suit to shred the fingers and faces of those who dare, hang dry that shit in the sun. someone will occasionally bitch that my fuji double weaves gis are rough/tough to grip, so the next practice I'll wear my 10-year-old mizuno eurocomp. if i didn't wear my rashguard i'd grind my nipples off. that bitch turns shoulder-of-justice into a cheese grater.

God bless you RJ.

On the topic at hand, hot water wash heavy duty settings, hot dryer.

The Gi is supposed to take a beating.

I'd rather the gi be clean than haphazardly air dried in a humid climate with a musty smell that preserves the cloth but not your own hygiene.

God bless you RJ.

On the topic at hand, hot water wash heavy duty settings, hot dryer.

The Gi is supposed to take a beating.

I'd rather the gi be clean than haphazardly air dried in a humid climate with a musty smell that preserves the cloth but not your own hygiene.

Would disagree that your gi gets more sanitized in a dryer than outside. The suns uv rays kill bacteria more so than the heat from a dryer.
There was a while where I noticed my rahguards weren’t spring fresh out of the dryer. Air drying actually took all the smell out.
Of course it’s not humid where I live and they get plenty dry outside

I didn't even know this Was a thing

Had the same two blue and white gis for 3 years now and washed and dried them together with no issues

Would disagree that your gi gets more sanitized in a dryer than outside. The suns uv rays kill bacteria more so than the heat from a dryer.
There was a while where I noticed my rahguards weren’t spring fresh out of the dryer. Air drying actually took all the smell out.
Of course it’s not humid where I live and they get plenty dry outside

In a sunny arid climate I'd agree with you.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest now and the dryer is far superior in this climate.

amen^ I can't hang-dry my gi from November - March because it's still below freezing, April - June it rains every other night or will get pollen bukkaked, and June-September a bucket of water is still less wet than the air.

Whites, warm water, bleach, double rinse. Air dry
Colors, warm, tide, 3/4 cup white vinegar, double rinse. Air dry

you should switch to OxiClean, bleach is pretty harsh on gi longevity

I also use Oxyclean powder and have had no problems with gis becoming yellow or smelling bad. I wash with warm water and hang to dry.

protip: turn that motherfucker inside-out every other wash. the inside (especially the pits) gets more stank on it than the outside.

protip that'll piss people off:

if you want a nice, comfy gi, tumble dry low with a few towels, dryer sheets, and wool balls.

if you want a sandpaper suit to shred the fingers and faces of those who dare, hang dry that shit in the sun. someone will occasionally bitch that my fuji double weaves gis are rough/tough to grip, so the next practice I'll wear my 10-year-old mizuno eurocomp. if i didn't wear my rashguard i'd grind my nipples off. that bitch turns shoulder-of-justice into a cheese grater.

Dude this killed me!!!!! The nipples part especially.
One of my training partners came from judo and had a Dax Mosquito when he first started BJJ.
That old thing was like a god dang torture device.

dax mosquito: because fuck your fingers

Back