how do you wash your gi?

dildoo~baggins

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've heard of people just throwing it in with their normal whites, hand washing in hot or cold water and even just soaking it in vinegar...

what do you guys do?

There are certain guidelines when washing/shrinking/colour fixing a gi. You obviously only need to colour fix if you have a coloured gi.

We have the definitive guide in our site about kimono/gi care (washing, shrinking, colour fixing) and comparrison charts for sizes in the different makes. Not all the brands use the same criteria for sizing. Especially in the larger sizes. So what is for the tall in one brand might be for the wide in another. Don't just assume that one is the same as another size wise!

Here is the link for the kimono care and sizing section http://locker-room.fightgear.net/kimonokare.htm

Also before you buy a particular brand, check out our reviews section which carries reviews of all the major (and most of the minor) brands of kimono/gi with reviews from newsgroups, forums, email and ourselves! This is the major gi review site on the web.

http://locker-room.fightgear.net/kimono.htm

Hope it helps!

Hanging dry is all well and good if you have the weather to do that. In a UK winter or in Northern Europe... it would take months to dry. As long at the gi is 'passively' dried you should have no problem. In other words, you can leave in a warmish room and it will dry without excessive shrinkage. Tumble drying causes loads of wear and takes years off a gi's life.

WASHING KIMONOS:
Wash the jacket and pants in cold water. Cold water will remove bloodstains and hot water will set them. DO NOT USE BLEACH, as bleach will eat into the fabric and weaken it. Drip dry. Hot tumble-drying is not recommended because the tumbling in the dryer will fray the fabric over time. And never wash your blue kimono (jacket or pants) with your white kimono (jacket or pants). Wash them separately. Do not use chemical products. The continuous use of the them reduces the resistance of the kimono.

Alex

Does anyone know a good way to reduce the stiffness and roughness that comes with air drying the gi?

Fozzy said:
hitting it with a stick.

holy 2005 batman

~Foz

give him a break........all i see here is people bitching out others for not doing searches first. this guy did and still gets a wise ass answer.

jkuhlmann said:
give him a break........all i see here is people bitching out others for not doing searches first. this guy did and still gets a wise ass answer.

who in the blue hell are you? lol.

I wasn't being a wise ass. You could realisticly reduce the stiffness by beating the gi with a stick :p

~Foz

after it is dry shake it out like a dirty rug it will make it softer and after about 10-15 minutes of warm ups it will feel like normal

yeah do what GZUS said. lol a stick may destroy your gi XD

~Foz

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I don't plan on hitting it with a stick.

FYI, I did do a search and couldn't find my answer. Hence, the resurrected post. Didn't think someone was going to give me the business about it. :rolleyes:

When I ordered my HCK from Howard, he called me to make sure I was ordering the right size for my body type and to give me proper washing instructions to both shrink it to fit and to keep it well-maintained...

Before wearing:
- Wash in HOT...dry on HOT...every so often take out of dryer to fit and see if length is good...if so, take out and air-dry...if not, continue drying on hot...

After shrunken to fit and just regular washing:
- Wash in COLD
- Air-dry...do NOT machine dry, as this will wear down the fabric quicker...
- If you MUST machine dry it...then take it out of the dryer while it's still kinda damp and just air-dry the rest...this will help save the fabric...

Farnsworth said:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I don't plan on hitting it with a stick.

FYI, I did do a search and couldn't find my answer. Hence, the resurrected post. Didn't think someone was going to give me the business about it. :rolleyes:

I also do the shake like a rug thing to get rid of the stiffness right before putting on my Gi. However, if I remember beforehand, sometimes I'll just throw my Gis in the dryer for a couple of minutes on fluff dry/air dry/cool dry/etc... it depends on your machine.. just select the option for NO HEAT...

Back