How do you guys act to the new guy in the gym

Calikid123

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want to start in June.How do you guys treat the new gym?From other threads it seems lke you treat them like crap and except them to quit in the first week.

I wrestling in Hs or practiced with them and i have Shamrocks book to show the basic and have been useing that.

To be honest a lot of guys do quit in the first week. They realize its hard and takes a long long time to get good at it and they get discouraged.

I always try and help the new guys but sometimes I just don't have time to teach someone an arm bar from gaurd (for example) for the 328465874th time. Generally guys are nice to newer guys. But don't be discouraged if they aren't lining up to roll with you and be your friend, new guys come in and out of gyms all the time.

oh and you will be submitted a lot, like every minute or so, and it will probably be that way for a while. It is like that for everyone starting out.

It's a lot like being the new kid at school.

yeah it depends, normally the white belts will welcome you coz there is someone they can beat... if you are still there after a month, then most of the rest of the gym should accept you.

Thanks for the reply i wrestled in HS and i have Shamrocks book that shows you how to do some moves like sweepes,Traingle,armbar,kimura,and jab and some of the basic stuff i know alot of takedowns already from wrestling.

Send them out on beer and pizza runs :icon_twis

Actually most clubs are happy to see new people, it just makes the club better.

What other threads gave you that impression?

To answer your question, it depends on how the new guy acts. Be friendly and respectful and they will be friendly to you most likely. Don't try to win at all costs when rolling, try to use techniques you learn in class, even if NOTHING works at first.

Keep going for 6 months or so and then they will start to respect you. Like the above poster said, new guys come in and out all the time.

Personally, I'm exceptionally nice to the new guys whenever possible. My reason is when I started I got my ass kicked by this dude who was jacked and owed me nothing. But everytime he did something, he would tell me what I did wrong and help me out. I just remember appreciating him a lot for it.

That's if you're not a egotistical dick or talk and act like a spaz. If you are either of those, I tend to smash the spaz and ego out of them. Call it hard love. But, when someone on their first day starts trying to do rubber guard and shit or talks like they know something... I just smash them harder. We've had our share of those guys and they usually don't come back. But, the guys who come in and are cool and are there to learn usually are the ones who come back. Oh, and don't wear a Tapout or Affliction shirt there. I also wouldn't mention Shamrock's book.

I will introduce myself and offer a handshake. Its how you are supposed to greet a stranger in any setting. If the guy is cool I will be more than happy to help out, if he is a spaz/tough guy/tool I will try my best to ignore/avoid him.

It does suck to invest your time in getting someone else better, just to have them take off after a few weeks/months. I think the guys that have trained longer have seen plenty of this, and will be more hesitant to really work with you until you paid your "dues"

Personally, I'm exceptionally nice to the new guys whenever possible. My reason is when I started I got my ass kicked by this dude who was jacked and owed me nothing. But everytime he did something, he would tell me what I did wrong and help me out. I just remember appreciating him a lot for it.

That's if you're not a egotistical dick or talk and act like a spaz. If you are either of those, I tend to smash the spaz and ego out of them. Call it hard love. But, when someone on their first day starts trying to do rubber guard and shit or talks like they know something... I just smash them harder. We've had our share of those guys and they usually don't come back. But, the guys who come in and are cool and are there to learn usually are the ones who come back. Oh, and don't wear a Tapout or Affliction shirt there. I also wouldn't mention Shamrock's book.

Haha alright i have alot of TapouT shirts big fan of the Sport.

how you are treated totally depends on your attitude. if you come in and expect to know it all, dont pay attention or respect to higher belts and especially the teacher, expect to be choked a lot and feel like quitting very quickly.

however if you come in open minded, show genuine interest in improving and don't feel like you're too good to drill the basics you can expect to be treated well and progess much faster.

basically dont be a douche bag and you'll be fine.

While I'm warming us up , I tell every body to introduce yourself during and after class to the new person . After warm up I pair the new guy up with someone who knows what they are doing and are up for showing the new person the ropes (I should also say we have a beginners class so this helps out big time ) .

it totally depends on how you act, dickheads and assholes just don't last, cuz the higher ups just submit the hell out of em for being said dickheads and assholes. Be courteous and u will be fine

Just go. Don't worry about it, and don't come in with an ego. Half the guys there wrestled in high school and they all have more jiu jitsu experience then you. You will get your ass handed to you. Be respectful and thank people for showing you stuff.

Don't be afraid to ask questions...if you get submitted tell the guy "awesome job! would you mind showing that to me sometime?" People probably won't learn your name or pay much attention to you for a month or two. Don't miss practice a lot and don't be a dick and you will earn their respect.

I always try to be as nice as possible. I don't go to roll with them unless they want to, but if they do, I'll always try and help them out. Just for fun try to submit/control them with your legs if they're that bad. As long as you don't g in with an attitude I'm sure it'll be fine. If everyones being a dick, then fuck that gym man.

yeah it depends, normally the white belts will welcome you coz there is someone they can beat... if you are still there after a month, then most of the rest of the gym should accept you.

LOl Im waiting for that guy to come in the dorr and stay for more then 2 classes. Shit Ill even take a woman at this piont, I just need someone I can beat on.

Oh and we treat everyone great new guys get a round of applause.

Back