How do you feel about restaurants asking for tips when you order takeout?

Ya know it really depends on the location and how sure I am this person I'm interacting with gets paid as a server . They say the tip system keeps prices down and I don't know if that's true or not but I do know the current system is extremely exploitive of the people who work in it.

Delivery dudes are 20% I know it's their own cars gas and the bullshit they endure, they get robbed they get road raged on and in accidents and they seriously see people at their worst ....at home as themselves

Waitress it's 15 to 20 depending on how big of a pain in the ass I am with my order combined with if I got good service .I have tipped more than the bill on the rare occasion on a beyond amazing night

Subway and things like that you can fuck off. I know you aren't paid like a server and you aren't serving me and you aren't dealing with the nonsense waiters and Delivery drivers deal with.

Tat and haircut yea ...you want these people to do a good job and often they are people you know outside of their job

I hate that shit. I order pick up and they turn the monitor around. The tips at a trendy place now start at the minimum of 25%. Imagine if I order a small ice coffee and it's 4.50 then you add another 25 percent and tax. You are at 6-7 bucks for an ice coffee.

I do tip this Indian dude that works in this Dunkin Donuts I go to. Indian folks pool their money to buy franchises then they hire slave labor from their village/family in India to work here. That dude sometimes turn away from the camera and say if you put a dollar in the cup then I will add two donuts to your order. He is a good dude I think he actually lives in the basement of the building though.

Last edited:
The having to sign is pretty normal. I don't care if there's a spot for a tip, but I'm not tipping on takeout.

They say the tip system keeps prices down and I don't know if that's true or not but I do know the current system is extremely exploitive of the people who work in it.
It keeps employee compensation costs and menu prices down, so it is beneficial to an employer. But it's not going to keep the overall cost down for you as a customer, since you have to make up the difference with tips. Historically tipping has been from upper to lower class. Tipping doesn't really make much sense. In specific instances people benefit, by getting oversized income or the ability to avoid taxes. But in general it is inconsistent income, not fairly distributed, increases tax fraud, doesn't lead to better service, and is a pain in the ass.

For me personally, I hate trying to figure out what I am supposed to tip someone in every situation. What am I supposed to give the guys from the moving company? Who knows. How about you just quote me a price, and then you take care of all the aspects of your business, including employee compensation.

I would either

A, ask why the cost of the product was not listed accurately.

Or

B, ask if they are paid for their work.

I always tip well. I worked at a bar for years and I've reaped the benefits of tips so I know what it's like.

Back