How do you feel about restaurants asking for tips when you order takeout?

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
I don't mind tipping at all. In fact I always tend to over-tip a server, bartender, or delivery person; but it kind of bothers me when I just go and pick up a sandwich and they hand me back a slip with a tip spot on it.

I went to a local sub shop yesterday and ordered a family size (24") Italian sandwich and a 9'' steak and cheese sub and it came to $35. I picked it up at the window and the dude has me sign my receipt with a tip spot on there, which they don't need to do. They can just run your card without having to sign anything.

I get that these people don't make that much money, but it rubs me as being tacky to ask for a tip when you didn't do anything that traditionally would merit it. I usually just leave $1.00 regardless of what I spend in these situations. How do you feel about this?

Last edited:
cb1PfBmzegzHa.gif

I don't do it at all for takeout . At this point if you don't do at least a decent job I ain't leaving shit. Earn your money I don't just owe it to you for showing up

I always leave a tip because I tend to go to the same places over and over again so I know the people or at least the faces fairly well.
But if I was an anonymous person and I wasnt a pussy I probably would only leave $1 instead of like 2 or 3

Charging me a tip for takeout is a great way of ensuring I never buy anything from the restaurant again.

If you don't tip them, expect to eventually get some extra "sauce" on your orders. Also, lol @ being so poor you have to worry about tipping a dollar for services rendered. I tip everybody - even people I don't know, just so they know how wealthy I am, and consequently, how much better I am than them.

I try to pay in cash, exact change, so I don't have to bother with a tip line that comes with credit card payment.

I actually told my mom, who hasn't been out to a restaurant in years, even a fast food one, of how prevalent the tip expectation is. I explained that even if I order it online, then drive to pick it up, they still expect a tip. By this, her mind was blown.

So , I have to get off my fat ass, drive to the shop using my fuel , take a chance on getting a parking ticket or pay for a parking spot...

Then you expect me to tip you for doing your job ?

Fuck off.

I'm going to stand outside the front of my train with a fucking hat and expect the passengers getting off to tip me....

Last edited:
I think tipping in the restaurant industry is very odd in general. Reservoir Dogs was right. It's expected in some places, and seems out of place in others. Even if you tried to tip a McDonalds clerk, they'd give you a look like you can't do math and give you your change back. Meanwhile, if you don't tip in other places, they'll look at you like you're a piece of shit.

As for delivery, it is just as strange. All the person did was bring it to you. The guy who made the food ain't getting shit. It doesn't make any sense. Takeout? They should give me a discount for making their job easier.

It's all so bizarre.

The first time I saw it was a little bitchy about it, then in time I realized most restaurants only have one point of sale system and it pushed out receipts with lines for tips regardless of whether you eat in or take out.

POS systems usually only have tips on or off setting so if they take tips for dine in, the take out will also have the option. Just don't tip.

same way when anybody else ask for tip
<36>

The first time I saw it was a little bitchy about it, then in time I realized most restaurants only have one point of sale system and it pushed out receipts with lines for tips regardless of whether you eat in or take out.

I don't believe that. 5 years ago it was never presented as an option.

Welp, here's our required quarterly tipping thread. I used to work as a waiter server at a family friendly place where the clientele was not exactly supreme. We go 2.35/hr. and were expected to make the rest up to the min wage up in tips. I think the min wage was $5.15 back in '97-'99. The place would compensate us up to min wage if our tips were less, but they always pushed us to enter at least min wage. I usually just multiplied the hours by 3 and entered that.

All that being said, TIPPING IS FUCKING STOOPID! It's just a way for companies to welch out of paying a living wage and the onus is on the customers, who many are total assholes and don't give a shit. At high end places, the back doesn't get a share and the waiters servers make out like kings/queens. I know some places split the daily/shift tips evenly, which is fair.

This is the only Tip I support:

I tip them a few bucks usually but its not the 20% they would get for a sit down meal.

Back