How do you deal with a "spazz"?

Murdoch

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys deal with a spazz. You know that guy that goes balls out like he's in the Mundials every time he spars. I try to stay calm but after weeks in a row it tends to get annoying. Any suggestions?
And the "slow down and focus on technique" speech doesn't always work.

wrap him up...if he spazes put him in something to where he literally can't really move...anaconda choke, rear naked wit the hooks sunk in...and dont actually execute the submission just hold him there in position and whisper in his ear...i used to spaz when i first started...it was the ego thing wanting to win every single time i stepped out on the mat...and i had a guy hold me like that and whisper in my ear that i was doign good but to drop it to about 75 percent intensity

Play it cool til he tires out then go for the kill. Do it over and over until he learns or just tell him it's a much better idea to take it easy.

i love it when they sit there and crank on something that is a bunch of nothing. i just let them crank as long as they want, it makes it that much easier the next time around. thing is it seems like they never learn from it. even when i point out that they aren't doing anything they don't seem to care.

wrap em' up and let them tire themselves out. Most people who spaz are noobs and most noobs gas out quick.

LOL at the whispering in the ear thing though, liquid cool.

Speaking of not finishing a submission but just holding them there for a while, I saw the Twister Documentary last night. My favorite part has to be when he is putting the twister on but waits for people to get the cameras out. I was laughin.

LCDforMe said:
Speaking of not finishing a submission but just holding them there for a while, I saw the Twister Documentary last night. My favorite part has to be when he is putting the twister on but waits for people to get the cameras out. I was laughin.
how is that dvd?

just be nice about it and be supportive, but keep on kicking their ass until they realize it's futile to keep spazzing. remember we were once all noobs as well.

I spaz sometimes.

I don't mean to, my adrenaline just kicks up.

Smash him and hold him down. Watch Garcia and Diego Sanchez in ADCC 2005. Diego tries to spaz, but Garcia just smashes him with his heavy hips.

Murdoch said:
how is that dvd?

You know, all it really is, is just a bunch of matches he was in with commentary (the one I have and I don't think there are any others). Depending on how much you get it for, it's a cool buy. I got mine for 10 from a friend so it was worth it. Fun watch though, that's for sure. Eddie is pretty funny.

Spaz back! I was rolling with a buddy of mine who's a college wrestler and he came out at me like I had slept with his sister and posted pictures all over the net. I pulled guard and he smashed into my chest. Then I kicked off on his hip and flipped my right leg over his head armbarring him as fast as I could and just yanked until he tapped.

Another time I saw this one guy who just started attacking a blue belt really fast and agressively, the blue belt started pushing back and brough both of them to their feet then did a sick double leg slamming the new guy to the ground. The bluebelt got knee on stomach and said, "You need to cool down a bit before you can learn jits"

i notice when i mess around that the people that spaz leave their limbs and head exposed a lot just relax and wait for the arm lock or guillotine

buttski said:
i notice when i mess around that the people that spaz leave their limbs and head exposed a lot just relax and wait for the arm lock or guillotine
that's what i've been doing. i'm a whitebelt so i'm still new to the game but learning quickly how to catch people making mistakes.

"What is the point of doing a move incorrectly but very quickly?" is what I usually say.

I am usually the guy that the dojo sicks on Spazes. Usually I very calmly beat them good, using technique versus stength/speed. I go very slowly, countering every spaz move, taking advantage of his mistakes.
Every time they make a mistake, I say something like "if you would have done that move more slowly but correctly, I wouldn't have caught you in that armbar..."

Then, after they get frustrated, I say "I just watched you make 2 dozen mistakes. Slow down, because your speed is killling your technique.

What is the point of doing a move incorrectly very quickly? If you take a shot in a game of basketball fast and spaz-like, where does that get you? NO where, and you are worse off for thinking you are doing a good job."

let them know before you roll to focus on flowing and keeping it calm.. if he still spazzes teach him a lesson he wont froget, dont submit him, not with a move anyone, pass his guard or get side control and wear them down like do knee on stomach for a while then mount then side then knee on stomach just dont submit him.. ive had new guys do this shit at my acadmey and i ride the knee on stomach like taming a wild horse.. if you wear someone down like that theyll think twice, ive even tapped people with knee on stomach... plus youll get better at knee on stomach, HAHAHAHA

Three words.

Knee
On
Belly

Get that position and keep it until they got no life left. Sit up sweep works great from the guard too.

I discovered the easiest solution while rolling with a 6'8 350lb fella. if they spaz just keep escaping your hips and try to snatch a quick arm triangle or take the back. Its easier when they spaz because movements are usually exagerrated.

Back