How do you deal with a "spazz"?

I normally try to stay smoothe and just beat them clean.. if they go to crazy and almost hurt me then i will slap something on as hard and as fast as i can.. Normaly that is enough to tell them to chill the fuck out.. without actualy saying it.
If they are bigger and badder than me.. i just pray.

cool calm and collective, he will eventually leave himself wide open for a sub. Punish him

NJCarder said:
wrap him up...if he spazes put him in something to where he literally can't really move...anaconda choke, rear naked wit the hooks sunk in...and dont actually execute the submission just hold him there in position and whisper in his ear...i used to spaz when i first started...it was the ego thing wanting to win every single time i stepped out on the mat...and i had a guy hold me like that and whisper in my ear that i was doign good but to drop it to about 75 percent intensity

That's some funny shit, especially the whisper part. Probably gets on a spaz's nerves whispering.

control them until they tire out, it is the best way

the best thing about a spaz is he/she will almost never make a valid attempt at passing your guard.

They'll usually just do the annoying stuff.

As the above poster said, keep em'' in your guard and tire em' out. Then sweep/submit them.

Haha our gym's spazz last week tried doing one guard pass and failed 15 times in a row last week, you know, the guard pass where you break the leg's hold and just throw them to the side with all your might? haha, after all that work he was tired and needed some water, wondering why it didn't work.

Spazzers are a pain in the ass for about 30 seconds till you can get a grip on them. Once that happens ride them till they are tired then punish them!

If the guy is causing unnecessary injury during the workout and you're in an instruction setting, tell your instructor. Odds are they already know, but someone voicing a concern will probably lead them to taking a more decisive action (ie. letting a higher rank take the guy down a peg or two). If it's a few guys training with each other and he won't listen, a love tap caused by his actions and pointing out his technique to him when he complains has worked for me. In a grappling situation, a heel to the head when applying an armbar has worked in the past. Nothing too strong, maybe a mouse or some stars dancing around, but make sure to point out it was his lack of control that got him hurt. If it continues, find a better training partner. Your skills get hindered by bad workout partners. -ken

Kawlinz said:
Haha our gym's spazz last week tried doing one guard pass and failed 15 times in a row last week, you know, the guard pass where you break the leg's hold and just throw them to the side with all your might? haha, after all that work he was tired and needed some water, wondering why it didn't work.

it works well if you have technique behind it. To some it looks like you're THROWING the legs, but you're really just running to the side. Its not that the technique described above doesn't work, it does; just not the way he was performing it.

Back