How do vacations affect training?

nkkny1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, I'm going away on vacation and I won't be able to train for 2 weeks. I've been in somewhat of a slump lately. I feel like I can't pick some of the moves up. I'm not a great visual learner so it takes me a little while to learn new moves :mad:
Anyway, I have never taken a break in my 4 months of training. I usually train 4-5 days a week and have been doing this ever since I started BJJ. I rarely miss class and I feel like if I don't go, I'll be missing out on stuff.

Being rather new, I'm worried that I'll fall behind everyone else. How does vacation affect your game? Do you find that after short breaks from BJJ you come back refreshed and sharper, or does it take a couple of days to get back into the groove of things?

So, I'm going away on vacation and I won't be able to train for 2 weeks. I've been in somewhat of a slump lately. I feel like I can't pick some of the moves up. I'm not a great visual learner so it takes me a little while to learn new moves :mad:
Anyway, I have never taken a break in my 4 months of training. I usually train 4-5 days a week and have been doing this ever since I started BJJ. I rarely miss class and I feel like if I don't go, I'll be missing out on stuff.

Being rather new, I'm worried that I'll fall behind everyone else. How does vacation affect your game? Do you find that after short breaks from BJJ you come back refreshed and sharper, or does it take a couple of days to get back into the groove of things?

Some people here find schools near the places they're vacationing to so they can train.

Don't worry about falling behind, a break can be a great recharger for you.

2 weeks is nothing, it will probably even do your body good to have 2 weeks rest. You will come back with more energy and motivation.

Your timming might be off but that comes back pretty quick, I'd say don't sweat it and enjoy your time off....

When I travel, I seek out locations to get some training in. Depends on if you want to bother or not. When I went to the beach at Oak Island, NC, I made the drive down to N. Myrtle to train with Shane Briggs a couple times during the week. When I was in New Oleans, I took a cab to train at NOLA BJJ twice as well.

Personally I really enjoyed both of these experiences, as getting new looks and bodytypes to work against can change your game for the better. Also, instruction from a person with a different philosophy than your coach can also bring new insight.

A couple of weeks shouldn't matter, but seriously look for a school where you are vacationing. There is nothing more enjoyable that dropping into another school and working with new people.

It's great.

Probably be good for you to get a break. Relax, enjoy yourself, and come back recharged.

Dropping into another school is certainly an option if you feel like it.

I'm going to Italy for 2 weeks. Seriously, it is no big deal to take time off. Jiu Jitsu will still be there when you get back. Just enjoy the time off. After you return and are training for a week, it will be like you never even left.

Two weeks of not working out and eating a lot of rich food on vacation always robs me of my cardio, and I feel like I want to puke during my first couple of classes back on the mat.

I try to do drop in classes just because I love learning from different instructors. I was in San Jose for business and did a drop in a AKA. It was fun, but Camarillo was not there. :icon_cry2

Don't worry man... 2 weeks is nothing. Your timing might be a bit off for the first couple of days but the break might actually be good for you - It'll let your body rest and hopefully some of the aches and pains (you probably have) will heal up.

Enjoy your vacation - If you start craving a roll, find a school close by or just attack the cleaning lady when she's fluffing your pillows.

It's vacation man, enjoy yourself. If you want to train, then find a gym close to where you will be vacationing. Two weeks shouldn't affect your game too much.

My last vacation helped my training a lot.

Of course, it was a month in Brazil...

But seriously, a rest is good for you. If there is no club nearby and you feel you must do something, go for runs or swims to work your cardio. I love surfing on vacation and feel it somehow translates.

Have fun!

It's not that bad other than it messes with your mindset and makes your body fit a far more relaxed environment. I did jogs and sprints and pull ups when I was on holiday and still came back and felt awful (I sweat a lot naturally but this was something else)/

just took a nice 1.5 week vaca a month ago. it really helped me rest and when i came back i didnt feel any less then when i left. i tried staying in shape by doing light jogs and swimming, but i ended up gaining like 5-8lbs (scale i have is a little off). the weight was mostly from beer, and not eating as clean as at home. i shed it right off after 2 weeks of solid eating and bjj.

dont worry about losing any progress. taking time off is good for the mind too. you might be starting to get frustrated with your training or youve been overtraining and feel drained. guys i train wit always hate missing class, but sometimes its better to rest than to train

Just got home from vacation, was in San Diego. I had set myself up to train at UNJJ, but got owned at comic-con x_x, sprained my ankle ftw. Hopefully good to go tomorrow, bad times x_x. If nothing else the break will allow you to take in what you've already learned, rest your body for an extended period of time. Your cardio may suffer, but everything else should come together for you. Maybe go on a jog or such, swim if you can. Have fun on vacation.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill be in the caribbean where there are not that many schools. I guess I'll just relax and hit the beach...and catch up with reading. I brought saulo's jiu jitsu university with me. Lol

ur cardio will suffer a little but your mind will get a well needed rest, when u get back u may feel like u r rolling better than b4

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill be in the caribbean where there are not that many schools. I guess I'll just relax and hit the beach...and catch up with reading. I brought saulo's jiu jitsu university with me. Lol

dont even bring the book with u, just go party, when u dont think about grappling for awhile, imo, u come back with a better thought process, u may notice things u didnt notice b4 because you kept not noticing them day after day

Back