How Did You Score Round 1 of Brown-Silva?

HaulParris

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Awesome fight, especially the first round. How did you guys score it? On first viewing, I had it a draw at 10:10. Watching a 2nd time with the sound off, here's what I had:

1) First minute: both guys throw wildly, landing some shots, Silva gets a TD (nearly spiking Brown on his head), Brown scrambles out, gets his liver kicked in, Silva on top raining punches, sets up the crank/RNC. Advantage Silva.

2) 2nd minute: Brown fighting off the sub, sub looks almost sunk in a couple of times; Advantage Silva.

3) 3rd minute: bit of a stalemate on the ground; Brown out of danger, but Silva still has his back. Advantage Silva.

4) 4th minute: Brown gets back up, throws many unanswered shots on the feet; some are blocked and some miss, but a good number lands; Silva is backpedaling; Brown throws Silva to the ground. Advantage Brown.

5) 5th minute: Brown throws and lands more, throws Silva to the ground one more time and gets a TD at the end of the round. Silva lands a few shots, but is mostly covering up/backpedaling. Advantage Brown.

Overall, on 2nd viewing, I gave the round to Silva with a very close 10-9. I realize that rounds aren't judged on a minute-by-minute basis. I also realize there are diffetent schools of thought as to what constitutes a winning effort (some place more emphasis on rewarding the fighter who came closest to finishing the fight; some care more about power shots/top control time on the ground, etc). I'm curious how my fellow Sherdoggers scored this, and what they based the score on.

10-9 Brown. Silva did hurt him and take his back. But Brown fought back and won the round.

10-9 brown, if silva didn't hurt him prior it woulda been a 10-8 brown, it was pretty close to being stopped at one point.

I was at a loss to score that shit. I really had no idea. Crazy round. I guess 10-10.

10-9 brown. silva had a dominant position and really threatened matt for a while, but brown still TOOK OVER and made him pay for 2 minutes. I don't always put damage above control, but in that particular round, it was the damage that was more critical

10-9 brown

They both had moments in the round but Silva really did nothing when he had the back, Brown had some really nice throws and sweeps and was putting the ass whoopin to Silva, he did lots more damage in the round

Lol, jesus people. Brown beat the breaks off him in round 1. A cpl of minutes of trying to secure a rear naked choke doesnt get you more points than dozens of elbows, punches, and kicks.

Smarten up people!!

Lol, jesus people. Brown beat the breaks off him in round 1. A cpl of minutes of trying to secure a rear naked choke doesnt get you more points than dozens of elbows, punches, and kicks.

Smarten up people!!

So I guess we're completely ignoring the liver kick knockdown and follow up ground and pound. That was the closest the fight came to being stopped in that round.

So I guess we're completely ignoring the liver kick knockdown and follow up ground and pound. That was the closest the fight came to being stopped in that round.

You mean the sequence that lasted about five seconds?

Awesome fight, especially the first round. How did you guys score it? On first viewing, I had it a draw at 10:10. Watching a 2nd time with the sound off, here's what I had:

1) First minute: both guys throw wildly, landing some shots, Silva gets a TD (nearly spiking Brown on his head), Brown scrambles out, gets his liver kicked in, Silva on top raining punches, sets up the crank/RNC. Advantage Silva.

2) 2nd minute: Brown fighting off the sub, sub looks almost sunk in a couple of times; Advantage Silva.

3) 3rd minute: bit of a stalemate on the ground; Brown out of danger, but Silva still has his back. Advantage Silva.

4) 4th minute: Brown gets back up, throws many unanswered shots on the feet; some are blocked and some miss, but a good number lands; Silva is backpedaling; Brown throws Silva to the ground. Advantage Brown.

5) 5th minute: Brown throws and lands more, throws Silva to the ground one more time and gets a TD at the end of the round. Silva lands a few shots, but is mostly covering up/backpedaling. Advantage Brown.

Overall, on 2nd viewing, I gave the round to Silva with a very close 10-9. I realize that rounds aren't judged on a minute-by-minute basis. I also realize there are diffetent schools of thought as to what constitutes a winning effort (some place more emphasis on rewarding the fighter who came closest to finishing the fight; some care more about power shots/top control time on the ground, etc). I'm curious how my fellow Sherdoggers scored this, and what they based the score on.

I like your assessment and this is how I have to breakdown a close round (minute by minute) to try to discern a round. I agree with who you have as the advantage in each segment. But, I feel that even though you could give the minute advantage to Silva 3-2, you have to admit that in either the 4th or 5th minute of that round that Brown was damaging, and coming closer to ending the fight against Silva in a way more dominating fashion than Silva was threatening in minute 2 or 3. Brown was smashing him up so bad in minute 4 and 5 that you could almost forget that the first part of the fight even happened and give it 10-8 to Brown. But Silva's offense in the first minute mitigates that score to a 10-9 for Brown.

From there it was all Matt.

Kinda wonder how you scored the 2nd round, too. It was similar in that it was Brown laying down the ass whoopin' to it's maximum effect. But Silva did visibly damage Brown a couple of times early in the round. I ended up feeling more comfortable calling that one 10-9 too. But could almost give it a 10-8 for Brown.

Back