how did the first place/people u train w/ define your game

I trained judo before bjj so that had me confident going into bjj - I didnt really know what i was doing but i did have one armlock or so that worked out for me.

The impact came once i got to bjj - There were a few people that helped mold my game thus far.

Ryan cook - Was a purple belt when i started.. and he had a really tight closed guard game and didnt mess around with anything fancy or flashy. His game is what i orginaly started trying to copy and resulted in me getting a good closed guard sequence that i used for my first year.

James Dorsey - A brown belt when i started was always eager to stay after class and work on a lot of positions and submissions. He has a very different style of jiujitsu that your never going to see any where else. He has a knack for being able to get out of almost anything.. if there is no escape he will create one for sure. He helped develop my weird style that started intiially giving the upper belts trouble.

Kaminay- the man from south Africa was the one guy who initially helped my game explode. We would train for hours and hours on off times when there was no class. No rolling really, just technical training. drills, and drills, and drills.

Eduardo De Lima - of course he was my coach and has always brought things to me that he felt would fit my game well. To this day he still brings new aspects of bjj to me that help me expand my game in a good solid fashion. He was also supportive of me trying weird guards, and playing a totally different game. He showed me a lot of stuff that Roleta, and Pe de pano used that helped add to my inverted guards, and pretty much everything i use. It was not only his influence in jiujitsu but his outlook on life as well. Eduardo has been a pinnacle figure in my life.. and really could never thank the man enough.

Matt Kirtley - Aesopian - Has always been an amazing training partner with tons of research invested into things. I can always count on matt to train new things, break them down.. and make sense of them. A number of techniques we worked on together over the years have become a staple in my game. Without Matt i would not have the same defined detail in those techniques. Matt always helped with the teaching aspect of bjj - he does an amazing job of explaining things well so other people can understand... and i do my best to copy some of those aspects.

Max - Always dominated people with the closed guard cross lapel choke. He made me a believer in it and since then it has been the number one choke to get from the guard.. i honestly didnt start pulling this choke till i was almost a purple belt.

Richard Travis - always plays a super slick half guard game. He was the guy who i wanted to be like with how technical he played the game. He never hurts anyone, is always very courteous.. and still has the skills to fight the best. I wanted my game to feel smooth and technical like his and modeled his mentality to do so.

There was a lot of other people that impacted my game.. but this names a few of the big ones.

Started wrestling in high school (kept it up into college). Started playing around with judo near the end of high school, didn't really get serious about it until I left college (and like most wrestlers, I quit wrestling after college simply because there was no place to really do it).

Started BJJ when a local instructor asked me to teach throws and takedowns in exchange for BJJ instruction.

My background's pros: I'm very comfortable with throws and takedowns (both gi and no-gi), and unless I'm up against a very good judoka or wrestler, if we're starting on our feet I almost always end up on top. And my top control game is (as is typical for wrestlers and judoka) good enough that I can usually maintain top.

My background's weakness: though I can maintain top, my submissions aren't very good compared to the rest of my top game - I suspect the term lay'n'pray was coined with me in mind. I can submit whites and most blues, but almost never purples, even though I'm on top more or less the whole time. I'm also not very good on my back, so if someone does manage to put me on it I usually end up defending - my sweeps from guard are as weak as my subs.

The solution is the obvious one - though I think pulling guard is a bad move, and easy to avoid, I'm now starting to do it a lot because it forces me to get better off my back. And yes, the folks I train throws and takedowns in think this is hilarious :redface:

Back