How did everyone do at Grapplers Quest??

Trickster***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This was my first GQ and let me tell you, they run a MUCH MUCH better tourney than NAGA!

Anyway there were some really good matches in the Pro Divisions! Cobrinha is just RIDICULOUS!!!! Ryan Hall lost his first match to Lucas Lepri for those wondering ow Ryan did. It was a pretty boring, uneventful match, I think Lepri passes his guard twice and won 4 or so to nothing. I don't know the names of many of the other guys - Mikey "The BJJ Almanac" Triangles would probably know better, but there were a lot of great matches. I watched the matches but I didn't know their names.

I took second place in the Beginner No-Gi and I got fucked in the final match by the ref but shit happens. I actually didn't roll well at all, I was kinda disappointed with my matches so I didn't really deserve first so I didn't even get mad about the ref's decision.

He was a huge guy for 169 (myself and the other competitors didnt think he weighed 169lbs but whatever) anyway I was looking to finish him one of three ways; peruvian neck tie, guillotine or sitting arm bar.

Most of the match was fighting for the takedown and after one of his shots I had perfect head and arm control and was about to sit up for the peruvian neck tie but the ref stopped us and told us to go the middle of the ring, but then stood us up! So that sucked. Then He got the takedown but I wrapped up a tight guiilotine...he was struggling getting out of it and the ref again stopped the match be we were off the mat. So the ref brings us to the middle and tells me to get the guiilotine again (after letting him breath and put his forearm in my throat) so it wasnt easy for him to break right out of it. So anyway I lost the final match 0-2 on points.
Just for the record the new rule on such a situation is this; If you have a guiilotine, arm bar or other tight sub and go out of bounds, the ref is to restart you in the middle of the ring and award 2 points to the person applying the sub. That was what was told to my instructor at the Worlds last month when he took the refs course for his first degree.

It was a good overall experience, but a LONG day!!

Lucas won second in his division in the pan ams I believe, and took second in the mundials. Tough match.

I'd like to know what else happened as well. Who won each division, do you know?

I heard rick miglarese fought someone, and then he lost, and then a rematch was called and rick won the rematch..

i dont know why there was a rematch though, someone fill me in cuz im curious? bad judges call?

I heard rick miglarese fought someone, and then he lost, and then a rematch was called and rick won the rematch..

i dont know why there was a rematch though, someone fill me in cuz im curious? bad judges call?

Rick lost the first match by points (because he didn't get some points he was supposed to get), so they all watched the video and agreed. They rematched and Rick won.

Bruce Hoyer, the guy who fought Rick, is tough. I lost to him at Mundials via triangle.

Anyways I won the executive championship belt in 200 + yesterday and today took second in Purple Belt. Only had one guy today, but he must have outweighed me by over 100 pounds, but it was still my job to win and I didn't. Hats off to him.

Actually, I was right there talking to Bruce during that debacle. He didn't agree but he was given no choice. Brian Cimins forced him to rematch or lose. I never saw anyone reviewing any video tape, but even if they did is that even allowed? And under what circumstances? A number of other controversial calls were made and no one else got a rematch...or a review...

Bruce Hoyer, the guy who fought Rick, is tough. I lost to him at Mundials via triangle.

Anyways I won the executive championship belt in 200 + yesterday and today took second in Purple Belt. Only had one guy today, but he must have outweighed me by over 100 pounds, but it was still my job to win and I didn't. Hats off to him.

so this bruce hoyer guy is a purple belt? he must be awesome to hang with high level guys like rick then...

He was a huge guy for 169 (myself and the other competitors didnt think he weighed 169lbs but whatever) anyway I was looking to finish him one of three ways; peruvian neck tie, guillotine or sitting arm bar.

!

some people just have really good genetics and their weight is distributed throughout their entire body in such a way they look big and intimidating

oh and congrats

so this bruce hoyer guy is a purple belt? he must be awesome to hang with high level guys like rick then...
Yes he is a purple belt, but I believe he has 3 mundial medals and I have seen a video of him training with Josh Barnett.

I posted this in another thread but the thing with Ricky was ODD to say the least! They raised the other guys hand which technically means that the match is over and can not be re-done. Ricky even mentioned that. Nobody was happy about the whole situation, Im sure some people thought there was some favortism.

But they did do the rematch and Ricky won.

I still think Cobrinha was the guy to watch....he is as slick as KY Jelly!

The mistakes during Ricky's match were apparentlty pretty bad and blatant, you noticed after that they put corner judges on the pro matches. Still the reffing at the overall event was fucking god damn horrible.

Refs in the pro division not even knowing time was called. Refs in the no-gi division trying to give points for knee on belly. Refs in gi division letting the outside leg come over and reap the knee and not stopping the match till the knee actually bent, ya know after the damage could be done. Then the same ref giving out warnings for bringing the outside leg over to finish the leg lock because the opponent tried to come up putting his own knee in a funny position. Giving sweep points when the guy stood out from bottom guard leaving contact and the top guy staying down and attacking from the bottom. And then in the same match not giving points for a knee bar attempt from bottom where the guy attempting let it go and came up into his opponents half guard.

overall I'm really not happy with the event. Neither of my divisions were announced, my no gi division only had one other guy in it, I win in 40 seconds and get told I'm done for the day. Absolute divisions, ya know with cash prizes, being run at the same time as multiple weight class divisions at the same level, forcing competitors to choose one or the other when they payed for both. I mean I literally saw a guy forced to forfeit his match because he was being called at two different mats. Saturday ran until ten o clock at night.

I saw a ref give knee on belly points in the pro division and no one said a DAMN thing. I was shocked!

i know that in nogi knee on belly points are not given, but why? i think its harder to maintain kob in nogi, so why not give points for a dominant position?

i know that in nogi knee on belly points are not given, but why? i think its harder to maintain kob in nogi, so why not give points for a dominant position?

The same reason a takedown to side control is 2 points in gi and 3 in nogi at many tournaments - no reason whatsoever. I completely agree with you. Gi and no-gi points need to be harmonized.

From all the static I'm hearing about this event, the crappy organization, and even crappier reffing, I'm kind of glad I decided to do the US Grappling event last week and forgo the GQ this weekend to go on a bender with some old buddies. Everyone seems pretty frustrated with the whole thing, from the white belt and beginner divisions up through the pro divisions.

The same reason a takedown to side control is 2 points in gi and 3 in nogi at many tournaments - no reason whatsoever. I completely agree with you. Gi and no-gi points need to be harmonized.

I agree but the fact is, its clearly written and well known that knee on belly doesn't count in no gi, and yet a ref in what is suppose to be a professionally run show doesn't know that

WOW so everyone had problems with the reffing huh?

I still thought the GQ was run better than NAGA but than again that isnt saying much at all.

WOW so everyone had problems with the reffing huh?

I still thought the GQ was run better than NAGA but than again that isnt saying much at all.

It IS still better run than NAGA. NAGA allows blue belts to ref and if you want to see inconsistencies, they top the list. Their policy of scoring 1 or 2 points for a submission attempt is more subjective than anything and they rely on even less qualified refs to make the decision. No thanks.

Overall, I think GQ refs are some of the best out there. There will always be problems or mistakes. My biggest complaints were with the reffing at the pro event. I didn't see many other glaring mistakes consistently from the other refs. But I did hear a lot of people complaining about some ref decisions because the people watching didn't understand the rules.

anyone know when results will be up? i'd like to know if the guy who beat me placed

Back