How crucial was Trump's choice of Mike Pence in winning the election?

Overall, the V.P choice doesn't matter that much. People vote the top of the ticket.

Pence is basically a christian terrorist and he's why I didn't vote for Trump and just didn't vote.

I think VP picks are usually a push or bad for a candidate, never a plus really in a way that would affect the election.

Pence is like a dark lord of the Sith.

Carson is just incompetent and crazy.

Then again, I am not American and not really leftist (though probably by WR standards I am).
Pretty telling of the world when you are considered leftist by the WR (America) and not leftist in your own country. Scarey thoughts really and in 10-20 years I don't even want to fathom what happens to Europe.

dave-thomason-dave-thomason-why-does-mike-pence-always-look-3813504.png

x-mengodlovesmankills21.jpg
Have you not seen Lena Dunham?

Pretty telling of the world when you are considered leftist by the WR (America) and not leftist in your own country. Scarey thoughts really and in 10-20 years I don't even want to fathom what happens to Europe.
Europe will be speaking Arabic and playing the most beautiful sound on earth (according to Obama.)

Europe will be speaking Arabic and playing the most beautiful sound on earth (according to Obama.)
Obama isn't Muslim dude even though his step father groomed him otherwise. Obama isn't racist even though his influential Pastor of 20 years proves otherwise. The list can go on and on but that's for another thread.

I think VP picks are usually a push or bad for a candidate, never a plus really in a way that would affect the election.
I wonder if this year it was different. As @TheComebackKid said, there's no way to measure this. But I remember Pence's decisive victory over Tim Kaine gave Trump a momentum boost when Trump needed one.

My personal theory was that Pence got a small percent of evangelicals to go to the polls and not stay home. Every single vote mattered. And I think some evangelicals still did stay home this year due to Trump's past comments. I know a couple in my wife's family.

Not crucial to winning. He's just assassination insurance.
I agree with this. I don't think Donaldo will be that bad but I bet your ass Mike Pence would be a lot worse. He's absolutely loathed in Indiana. Here's a good post detailing how bad he was:

He's reviled by both liberals and conservatives in Indiana. Indiana may have some blue pockets but it is a red state.

Obama isn't Muslim dude even though his step father groomed him otherwise. Obama isn't racist even though his influential Pastor of 20 years proves otherwise. The list can go on and on but that's for another thread.
I don't think Obama is a Muslim. But he did say the Muslim call to prayer was one of the most beautiful sounds on earth. That sound will be playing more and more in Europe over time.

I wonder if this year it was different. As @TheComebackKid said, there's no way to measure this. But I remember Pence's decisive victory over Tim Kaine gave Trump a momentum boost when Trump needed one.

My personal theory was that Pence got a small percent of evangelicals to go to the polls and not stay home. Every single vote mattered. And I think some evangelicals still did stay home this year due to Trump's past comments. I know a couple in my wife's family.

Yea. I'm not buying that VP debate had little to any sway. They have tried to do analysis of a VP's effect on an election with little success really. You knew can truly observe the alternatives so it doesn't work. I think generally people vote the top of the ticket. Trump did need to add some type of evangelical though even though I think he had that vote locked. Could've helped turnout. Could've did nothing.

Yea. I'm not buying that VP debate had little to any sway. They have tried to do analysis of a VP's effect on an election with little success really. You knew can truly observe the alternatives so it doesn't work. I think generally people vote the top of the ticket. Trump did need to add some type of evangelical though even though I think he had that vote locked. Could've helped turnout. Could've did nothing.
That's why I'm asking you all's thoughts.

He is Ted Cruz minus the obstructionist baggage and super creepy smile. Also you could actually see him as a President. Of course it made a differance.

In a race that close a million things will argued as having made a difference and most of them will be true, add this one to the list.

Back