How Criminally Underrated is John Hathaway?

Nothing about his game really jumps out at me. Just a solid all around fighter with relatively limited upside.

This. He also seems to be a hot and cold fighter, looking better against guys you wouldn't expect him to and worse against guys he should be doing better against.

Need to see this guy fight some top guys.... hes been being built up for a while now, but hes gotta be unleashed sooner or later!

The Diego fight, and that fight alone, impressed me. Other than that I'd say he's been a little underwhelming and would likely get roughed up by anyone in the top 10.

he is solid top 15 i would say but need to learn to finish . has big wins over sanchez and story id like to see him against some one like stun gun or erik silva

Maguire seemed half asleep against him and he didn't really bother to try to make anything special happen

He should be better recognized than Hardy for sure.

Pyle schooled him, and how many people around here were trying to say that Rory obliterating Pyle within a round meant nothing because Pyle is just whatever at WW? If anyone has been criminally underrated on this board it was Mike Pyle. Hathaway is good, but he's not in the same league or anywhere close to the same league, as the real deal WW future that Rory Mac is.

This. Mike Pyle gets no love.

No, he's not. Pyle and McCray easily took him down,

yet Sanchez and Story couldn't

yet you don't see too many guys outside of GSP and Koscheck that can take him down?

Who in the UFCs WW division aside from those two has much better TDs then those two? Hendricks on paper but he has not proven it in the octagon.

He would lose to every single person in the top 15

He would not. In fact he has bet two top 15 fighters.

and a decent amount of guys outside of it.

like whom?

He wasn't even competitive with Pyle who can hardly crack the top 15 himself.

That was his one bad figfht - I guess GSP losing to Serra means that he cannot beat anyone in the top 15 - Serra is not even top 20 in the UFC right now.

Lol, keep holding onto those fights from several years ago. Diego is extremely overrated in general and apparently didn't take that fight too seriously. Story was making his debut and has improved significantly. Those fights are far less relevant than his current fights, which have not been impressive at all. A win over a debuting Story doesn't say more than him getting manhandled by Pyle and barely squeaking by McCray.

Who in the UFCs WW division aside from those two has much better TDs then those two? Hendricks on paper but he has not proven it in the octagon.
Again, it was a debuting Story and Diego's wrestling isn't all that good. So here's a list of guys with better takedowns than Diego and the version of Story that Hathaway fought:

Maia
Ellenberger
Pierce
Fitch
Hendricks
MacDonald
Simpson
Pyle(as we saw)
Akiyama
Shields
Hieron
DHK
Penn
etc.

Rick and Diego are not top 15 WWs now and they were not top 15 WWs when Hathaway fought them. So he has not in fact ever beaten a top 15 WW. And out of the current top 15, who could you possibly see him beating?

like whom?
Guys outside the top 15(Sherdog's rankings) that would beat him:

Simpson
DHK
Pyle(again)
Hieron
Penn
Ebersole
Patrick
Head
Noke
etc.

That was his one bad figfht - I guess GSP losing to Serra means that he cannot beat anyone in the top 15 - Serra is not even top 20 in the UFC right now.
Big difference between getting caught by a punch to the back of the head and getting manhandled for an entire fight. And that was hardly his only bad fight, he barely squeaked by Kris McCray. It was a split decision in which he was thoroughly outwrestled. He hasn't impressed anyone in years.

Hathaway just has not moved an inch since the Diego Sanchez win. 17-1 and calling out Matt Riddle? Shooting for the stars.

like whom?

neither Rick Story or Diego Sanchez were top 15 when Pyle beat them so about that,

Back