How could Dustin defeat Max?

Dustin had one very pretty submission on Max once, maybe he can pull it off again? Or maybe he can land a bomb?

He has beaten Max Holloway. He choked him out.
Dustin+Poirier+Mounted+Triangle+Armbar+Max+Holloway+UFC+143.+Cut.gif

It's quite amazing that people are claiming how he has 0% chance when this already happened. Still, it was a LONG time ago and Max was young and new.

By beating Holloway in the pocket or on the ground. IMO Dustin has better striking in the pocket and might still have the grappling advantage.

Via Submission (mounted triangle armbar) :)

He probably won't, I think Max improved way more, but it has happened before and it might happen again.

I dont see any scenario that he beats Holloway. He is a better striker with high volume, Dustin cant keep Max down or submit him( but i think he will try). Max has a great chin hasnt got knocked down yet but Dustin got knocked out before. It will be a great fight though, cant wait.
First time for everything .. we have only seen max against a weak striker in ortega since his concussion like problems that kept him out a year , this is his first test in a year and a half since aldo against a guy that can actually strike and has enough power to put him away ...

question when was the last time you have seen dustin tired like aldo got in those fights with max ? He hasn't dustin tko Rd 4 everyone is shocked ..

I think max is gonna have issues soon he doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders when talking .

Jesus Christ Holloway is overrated. How is a guy who finished Holloway in the only bout they've had going to beat him?

So silly.

Think Dustin has a power strength advantage. I actually favor him in this fight.

I think dustin will get wobbled, as he often does in fights...and will get stopped, probably by round 3 or 4...but don't quote me on that...I'm terrible at predicting fights....

Dustin rocks Max standing, takes him down and submits him befor he can recover.

I'm not making a prediction but this can easily happen.

conor never once hurt max...neither did aldo...and both hit very very hard...max takes a wicked punch...so i don't see dustin hurting max...only way i see dustin winning is by submission...but I think max will be well prepared for that now.

conor never once hurt max...neither did aldo...and both hit very very hard...max takes a wicked punch...so i don't see dustin hurting max...only way i see dustin winning is by submission...but I think max will be well prepared for that now.
Good point but ANYONE can be rocked and anyone can be KOed with enough punches.

I think dustin will get wobbled, as he often does in fights...and will get stopped, probably by round 3 or 4...but don't quote me on that...I'm terrible at predicting fights....
Lol I'm terrible too but one of us gets to be right this time haha.

Dustin does get wobbled but I think a lot depends on if Max has more power at 155 because currently I'm not too worried about it - more of a volume striker than a power striker and think Dustin can slip a heavy one in.

Punch him in his face until he is out cold

Lol I'm terrible too but one of us gets to be right this time haha.

Dustin does get wobbled but I think a lot depends on if Max has more power at 155 because currently I'm not too worried about it - more of a volume striker than a power striker and think Dustin can slip a heavy one in.

he's a huge volume puncher, but also has some power...max, literally never gets tired...definitely an interesting fight...I'm curious to see how max does at 155.

I think Dustin will Khabib him

Then Khabib will Khabib Dustin

Then Khabib will Khabib Tony

Then Justin

Retire 30-0 as GOAT

Counting Dustin out would be very foolish. The dude hits hard, harder than Max.

I've said before that I favor Max in this fight but if Dustin is a heavy underdog I'm absolutely putting money on him.

Countless fighters fall into the trap of playing his game particularly his boxing I would maybe try to out point him while being evasive and also attacking his lead leg also Dustin should try tds to set up his strikes.
How are you gonna outpoint Max? He has cardio for days and he never hits at 100 percent. He just methodically breaks guys down. That is his style. Saying Dustin's best chance is to outpoint Max is like saying the best way to beat Khabib is to out grapple him. Dustin is a great fighter and he can definitely make things interesting, but I think Max is just ever evolving. I mean, he put on a clinic against Aldo (twice) and destroyed Ortega.

Last edited:
How are you gonna outpoint Max? He has cardio for days and he never hits at 100 percent. He just methodically breaks guys down. That is his style. He will wear you out with jabs and body shots, then go for the kill in the 4th or 5th...
. That's why I'm asking others opinions, Max is a tough fight for anyone but he can be beaten but not by any 145er he doesn't respect their power.

Back