How come Phil Davis couldn't take "Rumble" down?

he is not good at closing distance on takedown attempts

his wrestling style relied on attacking from a half collar tie

in wrestling, people shoot from here
brad-watson400.jpg

but rumble made him shoot from like 3-4 feet away every time, so he had time to see the takedowns coming

puts into perspective, the crazy speed guys like sonnen and gsp have to consistently hit double legs from way out there

Ya, his wrestling didn't translate all that well to MMA, similar to Mark Munoz

I've re-watched this fight a few times just because I like to see Phil Davis get his ass-whooped after basically acting like was gonna walk through Rumble and get a shot at Jones and Rumble was like "nah bitch"

Striking and Johnson is pretty damn good at wrestling too.

The important stuff has been covered. I'd add that Rumble also discouraged Phil from shooting and even clinching with his powerful uppercuts and knees that he timed beautifully.

Phil got tagged in the first and was very tentative after that.

He could feel that Rumble was stronger and was afraid of clinching, because he would get tagged again.

The single leg attempts were really lame and he got no depth at all on them.

By early R2, they were both so sweaty that clinching or grabbing anything was like slip'n'slide.

Phil's style could still work, but he needs to be totally willing to eat strikes, he should be able wade in. Most importantly, he HAS to be the one moving forward; can't set up TD's at this level when circling away for the whole fight. (GSP executes similar TD's, but he also always takes the center and is the one moving forward)

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread! And yes I did miss the Rashad Evans fight, I guess he had the gameplan to beat Davis and training with AJ just made it that much more easier.

Anyways I still like Davis and I hope he can develop his striking, maybe a change of camps?

i thin Rumble really improves his TDD, plus his striking is on A level, make it really hard for davis to get him down

he is not good at closing distance on takedown attempts

his wrestling style relied on attacking from a half collar tie

in wrestling, people shoot from here
brad-watson400.jpg

but rumble made him shoot from like 3-4 feet away every time, so he had time to see the takedowns coming

puts into perspective, the crazy speed guys like sonnen and gsp have to consistently hit double legs from way out there
yeah people forget that wrestling success is like mma and it theres more than one way to skin a cat. theres more to wrestling success than the ability to shoot a double

guys like GSP have the best takedowns with no college credentials. guys like rashad and jones out wrestle bader and davis with far less wrestling credentials

i think rumble is right there with glover, gus, and rashad at the top tier LHW's. i dont see him beating jones but i think he could compete with the other 3 (i personally thinks hes a slight underdog at this point though)

Davis isn't that good at wrestling either, Rashad toyed with him.

Youre talking about the 4 time NCAA Divison 1 All American, 1 Time National Champion, right??

You must be 2 time National champ, huh?

he didn't really try or commit to anything. Rumble's striking was too dangerous, Davis was reeling back the whole fight, and when he got to clinch range, he was eating/evading shots up close, too.

Rumble is the reason why kids don't look under beds at night.

Back