How come Phil Davis couldn't take "Rumble" down?

GusOwnsJones

White Belt
Reaction score
Will someone give me a technical breakdown of why Phil Davis couldn't get a takedown? Obviously the main reasons he was getting punched in the face. I was really under the impression that he could take anyone down and I can't even recall a fight that he wasn't able to get to the ground.

Does anyone else cringe at his striking? I feel like he's not confident in his striking and never commits on a single punch or combination. Or maybe he only throws to setup the takedowns? If he had threatening hands he would be dangerous, but until then good luck at ever beating anyone in the top 5.

One more question.. who should he fight next?

he couldnt set up anything bc his striking was completely ineffective minus some head kick attempts - johnson saw it coming from far away and threw him off - its not enough to just wrestle well if you want a takedown against another strong wrestler who strikes well

watch the fight if you haven't, pretty much within the first round you could tell davis had nothing for johnson - mainly bc his striking was so much below johnsons, he couldnt threaten anything

Rumble seemed way stronger

This. Davis isn't that good at wrestling either, Rashad toyed with him.
Rumble seemed far more focused, he reacted quickly to all TD attempts

Rumble has pretty good wrestling, people forget that. He also trains day in and day out with Rashad who also put a beating on Davis. To be honest, Rumble looked fucking unreal in that fight, one of the sharpest performances I've ever seen from any fighter.

Also Phil Davis has Jake Shields syndrome, great ground game but his shit striking makes it pretty hard for him to get takedowns against people who are highlevel wresters and dont want to be taken down.

he couldnt set up anything bc his striking was completely ineffective minus some head kick attempts - johnson saw it coming from far away and threw him off - its not enough to just wrestle well if you want a takedown against another strong wrestler who strikes well

watch the fight if you haven't, pretty much within the first round you could tell davis had nothing for johnson - mainly bc his striking was so much below johnsons, he couldnt threaten anything

Exactly this. Rumbles striking was so superior to Davis' Phil couldn't do anything or setup anything to threaten Rumble who has pretty solid wrestling himself. Phil felt the power early on and just couldn't/wouldn't fully commit to anything knowing he would be in big danger.

he is not good at closing distance on takedown attempts

his wrestling style relied on attacking from a half collar tie

in wrestling, people shoot from here
brad-watson400.jpg

but rumble made him shoot from like 3-4 feet away every time, so he had time to see the takedowns coming

puts into perspective, the crazy speed guys like sonnen and gsp have to consistently hit double legs from way out there

brad-watson400.jpg

but rumble made him shoot from like 3-4 feet away every time, so he had time to see the takedowns coming

puts into perspective, the crazy speed guys like sonnen and gsp have to consistently hit double legs from way out there

this, Munoz is another guy thats better of the "tie up".

Rumble isn't a slouch in wrestling and I think Rumble's power had him worried after he got hit. He couldn't get close for the take down because Rumble was keeping him at bay with his striking but when he did a long shot Rumble was skilled enough to throw him right off. Also he had no chance in the striking. Every shot Rumble throws has the potential to knock him out but no matter what combo he threw he could walk threw them and threaten with a counter.

brad-watson400.jpg

With exception fo this response you should probably ask in the grappling section

Rumble has been looking great lately. Hopefully Rogerio makes it to fight day.

Rumble is a beast he stuffed a few takedowns just by throwing a punch he can wreztle too he just prefers to bang diego style

I was really under the impression that he could take anyone down and I can't even recall a fight that he wasn't able to get to the ground.

so you didnt watch the rashad evans fight. he made davis look like an amateur

"Next level diet" is the correct answer. Rumble has been eating a ton of oatmeal to give himself super human strength. Probably also prays a lot to our lord savior Jesus Christ too.

The only chance Phil had was if rumble gassed hard after the first round... And that didn't happen...

Back