How can you tell if your stamina is where it should be?

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It seems like you would have to get winded sometime after a few rolls/rounds or a hard workout, and that anybody can wear themselves out if they work hard enough. Is there a more accurate guage than comparing yourselves to your training partners, to see if your stamina is at a good level?

See if you can run 2 miles in under 15 minutes. If you can't your stamina is terrible. If you can get close to 12 minutes, your stamina is good.
This is just one way, see if it helps.

ehh i guess setting mile times for yourself would be one way but your statement on anyone being able to wear themselves out if they work hard enough... thats the point in cardio: your stamina is good enough when you arent gassed even through a hard workout.

Its hard to put a definite bar on where your stamina is good because stamina doesnt mean shit if its not in comparison. Good cardio can only be defined in your ability to outlast your opponents in my humble opinion

Dedicado said:
See if you can run 2 miles in under 15 minutes. If you can't your stamina is terrible. If you can get close to 12 minutes, your stamina is good.

Thanks, this is along the lines of what I'm looking for, a mark to differentiate between average to good stamina, and of course, not so good. I also realized, another reason it may be hard to guage your real stamina compared to others, is because of varying skill levels/styles, you won't be pushed to the limit all the time, after all grappling/sparring isn't a battle of who can wear themselves out the quickest, in fact, I never really totally cut loose in training-as if it were a fight. But anyways, I'll give that a try.

Seven,
I'm getting the sense that you've got serious issues with stamina. I know you're about my frame from your previous post, but remember the whole timed run thing is relative to the size of the person running it. Your stamina is related to the strength of your heart. If you're looking for an empirical way to test your stamina, find out more about your heart rate during periods of low aerobic activity, high aerobic activity and rest.

I'm not sure what the proper numbers are (and again they'll be relative to your body mass index) but that seems like a good question to take to a physical therapist or a doctor.

good luck

Dedicado said:
See if you can run 2 miles in under 15 minutes. If you can get close to 12 minutes, your stamina is good.

2 miles in 12 minutes is very good/excellent result.

Dedicado said:
That's actually not a bad baseline, as the military and law-enforcement use the "2 miles in 15 minutes" benchmark in a lot of their physical qualifications and training.

Once you've established that baseline stamina, you can train to optimize your stamina for fighting. When you run, you're using a constant amount of energy for an extended period of time. When you fight, you will often use big explosions of energy followed by lower-level sustained effort followed by another burst followed by a moment of low energy followed by another high-energy burst, etc. It's very different from a situation in which you can pace yourself.

So work on the baseline first (this is what I'm doing now, it's not easy sometimes) and then refine, refine, refine. Pretty soon you'll be able to run 2 miles in 15 minutes AND grapple for 25 minutes on top of that! :D

One thing that I like to use to judge my stamina is called corners. I do two mile runs all the time because of the Army but that really doesn't guage for MMA fighting. Like stated above you use alot og power bursts here and there in MMA, so you need to guage it for that.

When you go to the track try some corners and see what your results are. Sprint the straight aways and jog the corners. Basically that means you are sprinting 100m, jogging 100m, sprinting 100m, etc.

For muscular stamina:

try 50 pushups, 50 body squats, 150 crunches.
then 40, 40, 120
then 30, 30, 90
then 20, 20, 60
then 10, 10, 30.

rest two minutes.
try to repeat.

* note: I myself cannot do this, but I am trying to do it and my goal is to do it by October 31*

BTW, my last peaking phase, my 2 mile time (fastest) was 13:06, but I averaged 13:30.

Aren't those corners called like faurtlicks or something like that?

Back