• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How can you make good money without a college degree?

Trades. I started working in construction at 17, started my own company 18 years ago at 30…good coin. wife is a realtor and does really well at that also

I'm kind of at a crossroads in my career. I've hit a ceiling and can't make much more than I do now. I have people telling me that's the way it is in today's world if you don't have a degree. But I really don't want to go back to school now for 4 years just to make an extra $10k a year. So what options are there? How can I make good money without a college degree?

Don't study rubbish. STEM particularly TECH, MATH, ENGINEERING, etc. Study IT or CS. Study chemical engineering. I know a guy pushing 40 doing that. He's already got an offer before graduation.

Alternatively, get into a trade. Pick 1 that you can scale up and have your own business. A few buddies got their own company and make bank.

Unfortunately, the following takes time and effort. You sound lazy AF. Lazy people work 100x harder in shit jobs and low pay.

My father taught me, you pay now or you pay later but you will always pay. Get to it.

BTW much accredited programs are online these days. You aren't trying for the full college experience. It's purely professional. Map out what you want. Look at pathways. Previous education can shorten up your degree. Again, it needs to be legit not fluffy bunny studies. You want to skip Karen in HR not put on your dancing shoes jump through hoops.

My buddy went to UBC for medical physics. He's a programmer now. He doesn't do interviews with Karen in HR. He talks to the hiring manager.

Good luck bud.

Last edited:
Lol. I wouldn't wipe my ass with that cert or hire those guys to build me a gate. You get your ticket, then you start learning. Here welding is a 4 year course, then you branch out. Pressure, structural, whatever and have to get certified in different materials. 8 months will get you someone who can scab together something with a mig.

But, even those hacks can make good coin as you said.
It's specialized. Flux cored, basic shielded, gas metal, or gas tungsten. The "cover-all" path is two years.

i think there is a shift where degrees are being more and more useless and not really needed these days.
I’m seeing the opposite. At least with decent paying jobs.

Most place has ever resume. Filters that kick you out of. The. Pool. No matter what qualifications you have.

You basically have to be in the social circle to bypass that. Resume. Step.

if not you. Don’t pass the online hr portion , to get to where someone actually looks at the resumes.

I would say as well I think higher education latter in life does become a bit more questionable in terms of the return unless you are learning a very specific skill set with it.

A lot of the advantage of having a degree I would say tends to be going for more standard white collar jobs and often its the first thing they look at when throwing out CV's but age I'd say is often the second thing they look at, big companies getting people in at the ground floor tend to want to get them in their early 20's as they think there easier to mould to their own desires.

The only reason I'd ever get a degree is just to get a gov't/state/city job that pays well to decent with a pension.

There are no real short cuts. Whatever you do, it'd probably be harder than getting good pay through having a degree. That's why most people who want to make good money at least try to go for a degree.

One of the more obvious one is start your own business, but it's very difficult, you need to have capital and you need to work really hard.

Truck drivers can make 6 figures but you will be sacrificing a lot of your life.

Doctors make a lot because they're willing to do something that most people aren't willing to do (work your ass off, go to med school, etc.)
Not to nitpick, but not true. Doctors in the US make as much as they do primarily because they limit competition. The rate is new doctors is limited by the number of residency slots every year. Similar story with how the non-doctors are far more limited in what services they can offer compared to say, in Europe.

But still good advice, join a profession with limited competition.

I had a friend that dropped out of high school and made six figures as a mortgage lender. I'm sure that's up and down year to year though.

If you know a lot about coding or networking, you can get a job without a degree. You don't really need a degree, just examples of work/code and maybe certs. Hell, there are teenagers that make millions developing apps these days.

Back