How bad are...

infamous mattyd

Brown Belt
Reaction score
cold cuts (lunch meats)? I eat a lot of turkey, but its the roasted kind. So are lunch meats somethig that should be cut out while working towards putting on lean mass and burning fat?

PariahCarey said:
See Carnal's suggested diet you... you... metrosexual
I love his treatise, and if that's the only way to get through to "hardgainers", then so be it, it's effective as hell...but corned beef hash is total shit. I mean a really bad thing to put in your body.

Like I mentioned elsewhere on here, I read an article at T-Nation where the author visited and trained with the Westside guys for a day. When he mentioned nutrition to Simmons, Louie just rolled his eyes and walked away. So for HW powerlifters that's probably a fine attitude to take.

But the guys in here aren't training to be powerlifters, they're training to be fighters, and I believe that diet is probably as important or more important than their strength and conditioning program.

Mattyd, this question gets asked in Diet & Supplement about once every two weeks, so check there.

It depends on the meat. Some meats have more fats than others. Did you ask them how fatty the cuts were? I talk to the butchers at the Foodmaxx here all the time, they really love their work and meat. They've taught me a lot.

Most turkey is good. For the most part, I don't believe in watching sodium intake too closely, but you should know that deli meats tend to have a lot of salt.

Madmick said:
Mattyd, this question gets asked in Diet & Supplement about once every two weeks, so check there.

It depends on the meat. Some meats have more fats than others. Did you ask them how fatty the cuts were? I talk to the butchers at the Foodmaxx here all the time, they really love their work and meat. They've taught me a lot.

Most turkey is good. For the most part, I don't believe in watching sodium intake too closely, but you should know that deli meats tend to have a lot of salt.
thanks...and I am trying to loose quite a bit of weight, without messing with my solid strength base, which is why I asked

PariahCarey said:
" I do not know bodyfat."-Fedor
Fedor's just one fighter, Pariah, and a freakish one at that. As long as he's faster and better conditioned than every other heavyweight, I'm not gonna criticize his gut (which really isn't that big).

For heavyweights, nutrition is probably a little less important, but it's still critical.

Some lunch meats have a tonne of sodium and nitrates in them so they're not the greatest thing to eat, but a turkey sandwich is alright!

I'm just playing MM. Eat every 2 to 2.5 hrs Infamous...go for a light paced walk before breakfast...learn about protein , carbs, and fats.

PariahCarey said:
I'm just playing MM. Eat every 2 to 2.5 hrs Infamous...go for a light paced walk before breakfast...learn about protein , carbs, and fats.
No, I got that, but I didn't want to confuse Matt.

PariahCarey said:
I'm pretty well informed (courtsey of this board)...I was just concerned about the effect of sodium and nitrates on my diet

infamous mattyd said:
I'm pretty well informed (courtsey of this board)...I was just concerned about the effect of sodium and nitrates on my diet

I remember reading one study that showed that American men who ate processed meat 5 or more times a week were much more likely (don't remember the actual figure) to develop type 2 diabetes.

ready to learn? here we go.

1. go to the store
2. buy a box of "turkey size" oven bags
3. buy a turkey. turkeys are always cheap, and really fucking cheap during the holidays.
4. follow instructions inside the oven bag box
5. eat turkey
6. whatever you have left, pick off and put in tupperware. make sandwiches out of that. tastes better, better for you, cheaper.

Remy, I know you were being sarcastic in a serious way (does that make sense), but that sounds like a good idea. I might just do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

rickdog said:
Remy, I know you were being sarcastic in a serious way (does that make sense), but that sounds like a good idea. I might just do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

no man, i was being totally serious. i do that shit all the time. its so much better than cold cuts, and its a ton of fucking food.

Madmick said:
But the guys in here aren't training to be powerlifters, they're training to be fighters, and I believe that diet is probably as important or more important than their strength and conditioning program.

I agree, i noticed a drastic increase in athletisicim and energy when i cleaned up my diet. Its a shame its only this year i learned that diet is the key.

ghostwipe said:
I remember reading one study that showed that American men who ate processed meat 5 or more times a week were much more likely (don't remember the actual figure) to develop type 2 diabetes.
Damn. I'd like to hear more about that. Maybe my little brother would know. I always forget the questions I want to ask him, though, by the time I see him.

infamous mattyd said:
cold cuts (lunch meats)? I eat a lot of turkey, but its the roasted kind. So are lunch meats somethig that should be cut out while working towards putting on lean mass and burning fat?

check out "catering turkey" its available in most supermarket deli sections from dietz and watson or at harris teeter / kroger/ giant/ safeway (not sure where you are geographically so i dont know which grocery stores are around you) Anyway, catering turkey is very low fat and high protein but doesnt have as much salt and sodium as roated or honey ucred turkey varieties. It tastes great and is mainly used for cold cut trays since the decreased sodium makes the porduct less shiny and looks more like turkey straight off the bird. Also you can actually taste the turkey flavor instead of just hickory flovereed salt. great in sandwiches etc. I'd stay away from the lower end of cold cuts - bologna, anything with "pimento chunks" and anything in a variety pack - the sodium is way top high and frankly i think they tsate like garbage.

ghostwipe said:

i can easily see this being from a ton of fast food and no exercise. that leads to obesity which leads to type 2 diabetes.

Back