How are these EFA's I am taking?

niagareven

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It has Organic flaxseed oil, borage seed oil, fish oil, gelatin, glycerin, water and mixed tocopherols.

Per serving:
Alpha-Linolenic Acid [ALA] (omega-3) 540mg - 600mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid [DHA] (omega-3) 114mg - 144mg
Eicosapentaenoic Acid [EPA] (omega-3) 171mg - 216mg
Gamma-Linolenic Acid [GLA] (omega-6) 250mg - 288mg
Linoleic Acid (omega-6) 567mg - 630mg
Oleic Acid (omega-9) 458mg - 600mg

Are these good, or should I look for something different.

Looks pretty good to me. Are they capsules?

9 times out of 10 EFA's are softgels.

niagareven said:
It has Organic flaxseed oil, borage seed oil, fish oil, gelatin, glycerin, water and mixed tocopherols.

Per serving:
Alpha-Linolenic Acid [ALA] (omega-3) 540mg - 600mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid [DHA] (omega-3) 114mg - 144mg
Eicosapentaenoic Acid [EPA] (omega-3) 171mg - 216mg
Gamma-Linolenic Acid [GLA] (omega-6) 250mg - 288mg
Linoleic Acid (omega-6) 567mg - 630mg
Oleic Acid (omega-9) 458mg - 600mg

Are these good, or should I look for something different.

I think you seriously need to up the DHA and EPA (the Omega-3's). That's what's so difficult to get from your diet, anyway.

So should I just look for an only omega-3 supplement and take it in addition to this? or look for another bottle like this, just with more omega 3's in them?

You are roughly getting 1g of omegan-3. You can safely take 5 times that much.

And a question of my own.

Do we not get plenty of omega-6 in our diets anyway? Why supplement it?

Cooz said:

Thats what I keep hearing is we get enough. I personally use flax seed oil as it has both omega-3 and omega-6, with a lot more omega-3 in it.

Well...omega-6 comes from fats found in meat and such. I don't know if it's just saturated fats or all non-fish based fats period.

Now in order to get the benefits of Omega-3 you want to build a nice ratio of 3 to 6. It will actually take some time for your body to go through the chemical change to reap the benefits.

Honestly, I think these companies are selling these omega-6 supplements to cash in on the "omega" name.

Cooz said:
Well...omega-6 comes from fats found in meat and such. I don't know if it's just saturated fats or all non-fish based fats period.

Now in order to get the benefits of Omega-3 you want to build a nice ratio of 3 to 6. It will actually take some time for your body to go through the chemical change to reap the benefits.

Honestly, I think these companies are selling these omega-6 supplements to cash in on the "omega" name.

From WholeHealthMD:

"Good dietary sources of omega-6 fatty acids include cereals, eggs, poultry, most vegetable oils, whole-grain breads, baked goods, and margarine.

Interestingly, nutritionists are now finding that omega-6s and omega-3s will only maintain their status as "good" fats when you get relatively balanced amounts of both. Unfortunately, most Western diets today are heavy on omega-6's, often at the expense of omega-3s. This means that, except as an adjunct to certain health conditions, omega-6 supplements are probably not necessary."

So yeah, ditch the Omega 6 and get a fish oil pill that's exclusively Omega 3. It'll be hjard enough with that to get the right ratio. I use flax in my MRP powder, but that's because an Omega-3 fat isn't yet offered in powder form (that I know of).

From the research I did (which was a decent amount) I found that Costco's Kirkland brand extra strength fish oil had 440mg of omega 3 per pill. 180 pills per box of $11. Best bang for the buck (and suprisingly the strongest dosage per pill).

From the research I did (which was a decent amount) I found that Costco's Kirkland brand extra strength fish oil had 440mg of omega 3 per pill. 180 pills per box of $11. Best bang for the buck (and suprisingly the strongest dosage per pill).

Yeah, Kirkland is the best deal.

Wait, would this stuff be per gel? or per serving? A serving is 3 soft gels. So if it's per gel, then I'm getting a lot more of everything than I thought I was.

Cooz said:

make sure it is labeled as "pharmeceutical grade" fish oil. otherwise its most likely not fish oil at all.

niagareven said:
Wait, would this stuff be per gel? or per serving? A serving is 3 soft gels. So if it's per gel, then I'm getting a lot more of everything than I thought I was.

Pills per serving depends on manufacturer. If you read the label it will tell you.

I don't know about it having to be labeled pharmaceutical grade, but I do know that their oil is quality.

jkuhlmann said:
make sure it is labeled as "pharmeceutical grade" fish oil. otherwise its most likely not fish oil at all.

I don't know why they would be pharmaceutical grade since they're not a pharmaceutical.

Kirkland has tested out true to weight (better than many name brands).

Madmick said:
I don't know why they would be pharmaceutical grade since they're not a pharmaceutical.

Kirkland has tested out true to weight (better than many name brands).

its tested to meet a standard, and proves what they say is in it actually is. but in reality they could just throw the tag on anyway, does anyone actually look into claims?

Cooz said:

I was in the store and I wanted to buy something to up my omega-3's, so I was looking at flaxseed oils. The one I bought has 6grams per serving. Is this too much to take with my softgels? I also eat salmon a few times a week. Should I cut the serving in half on the flaxseed oil?

Back