How are the new huge 145ers going to change the game?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These guys like Holloway, Johnson, Andre Fili.... How can guys like Edgar and Aldo possibly compete with this?

Johnson was just so big and so fast and so long. I can't imagine a short bulked up guy dealing with that speed and that range. The era of those guys in the top has got to be over soon.

Johnson got beat by Elkins...

I would say that you forgot to name Ortega.. who looks like a fucking WW.

Both Edgar and Aldo would wreck Johnson and Fili haha

Dafuq???

I think you'll be surprised. Holloway, yes, but not so sure if the others will be able to do anything too noteworthy. Add to that, the fact that all 3 might not be able to make the weight for too long and I'd say it's not a big deal.

Jonson's reach is only 73 inches (not huge for 145) and Fili's built like a noodle.

Holloway is one thing but the other two fighters you mentioned are not contenders and never will be. Edgar and Aldo would murder them.

The biggest thing the new wave of 145ers will bring is increased kos. They are too big. Dehydrated. Too powerful for the division. These dudes are gonna be crackin and getting cracked.

These guys like Holloway, Johnson, Andre Fili.... How can guys like Edgar and Aldo possibly compete with this?

Johnson was just so big and so fast and so long. I can't imagine a short bulked up guy dealing with that speed and that range. The era of those guys in the top has got to be over soon.

It doesn't seem sustainable because once they start hitting 27,28 years old+ they won't be able to make 145 anymore without having to cut an unhealthy amount of weight. If they plan to make a mark at 145 they probably have to do it before they reach their late 20's

Johnson might have lost some power at 145

This.
The guy had some snap at 155, and it didn't seem to transfer to 145 very well. I was sure he would've knocked Andre out, and you saw what happened.
Also, his speed advantage isn't significant at 45 as it was at 55.
I'm not really sure why he dropped down to begin with, his problems at 55 seems to be his mentality and gameplanning.

When Edgar is 50 he will still be very healthy. Max, I'm not so sure.

Well weight cutting is shit and has really diminished not only the excitement of the sport but also the spirit of the sport.

So how much of a favorite would you have Johnson over Aldo,Fili over Aldo,Johnson over Edgar and Fili over Edgar?

They will change in the way that they will keep pushing the weight cutting bar higher and higher. The top 5 guys at FW (except Edgar and maybe Aldo), LW (except Conor and Dustin), and WW (except RDA) could easily (and eventually will) compete in the weight division above their current one.

Well weight cutting is shit and has really diminished not only the excitement of the sport but also the spirit of the sport.
Its always been around. You think tito at ufc 40 weighed even close to 205 when he was in the cage? Not a fucking chance dude, he looked about 230 and chuck was a good weight cutter as well and looked not even near titos weight. Weight cutting isn't new and isnt going anywhere

Its always been around. You think tito at ufc 40 weighed even close to 205 when he was in the cage? Not a fucking chance dude, he looked about 230 and chuck was a good weight cutter as well and looked not even near titos weight. Weight cutting isn't new and isnt going anywhere

Wow you’re 100% right.....it isn’t new, it’s archaic and needs changed. The difference is fighters are getting much better at it and cutting more and more weight.

Fili sucks
MJ was better at LW

Holloway is a monster. There are other FWs you could have mentioned besides Fili and MJ lol. Weird thing to troll about.

I think you'll be surprised. Holloway, yes, but not so sure if the others will be able to do anything too noteworthy. Add to that, the fact that all 3 might not be able to make the weight for too long and I'd say it's not a big deal.

Jonson's reach is only 73 inches (not huge for 145) and Fili's built like a noodle.
Fili was set to fight at WW for Max Griffin's title in the WFC, prior to him getting the call from the UFC. He only recently has gotten his body down in walk around weight, so he can continue comfortably making 145-146.

A 73in reach is longer then the avg 145er.. Holloway is 69in, Ortega is 69in, Aldo is 70in, Moicano is 72in, Chad is 66in, Stephens is 71in, Swanson is 70in, Josh is 70in, Mirsad is 70in, Jung is 72in, etc.. Johnson's reach is more comparable to that of a 155er, Khabib is 70in, Conor is 74in, Ferguson is 76in, Dustin is 72in, Alvarez is 69in, Lee is 77in, Edson is 75in, Gaethje is 70in, Pettis is 72in, Al is 70in, Nate is 77in, etc..

Back