How are the new huge 145ers going to change the game?

Wow you’re 100% right.....it isn’t new, it’s archaic and needs changed. The difference is fighters are getting much better at it and cutting more and more weight.
I wasnt trying to sound condescending, or be like some elitist know it all. I was just stating the fact that if anything changes, as far as the ruleset goes, people will find new loopholes to remain bigger for their respected weightclass. And while i agree its dangerous and not a good thing for mma, it's just something i ignore and accept at the same time

theyre gonna make us learn about water poisoning

Johnson is 2-5 in his last 7 and would get murked by Aldo, Frankie, Holloway or Ortega.

They will change in the way that they will keep pushing the weight cutting bar higher and higher. The top 5 guys at FW (except Edgar and maybe Aldo), LW (except Conor and Dustin), and WW (except RDA) could easily (and eventually will) compete in the weight division above their current one.
Aldo is showing interest again in fighting at 155.. Dustin has been open recently saying that the cut to 155 is starting to become more and more difficult and wants to go up to 170 eventually.

Those guys are actually bigger than Darren Till who is actually the size of a superheavyweight in actuality.

I just can’t see guys cutting extreme amounts of weight having a very long career of being elite. The body can only take so much before it starts breaking down.

I wasnt trying to sound condescending, or be like some elitist know it all. I was just stating the fact that if anything changes, as far as the ruleset goes, people will find new loopholes to remain bigger for their respected weightclass. And while i agree its dangerous and not a good thing for mma, it's just something i ignore and accept at the same time

Sorry if came across as defensive.....with society today it’s a rare occasion that people can disagree and then be civil and cool....so thank you sir, it’s refreshing!

These guys like Holloway, Johnson, Andre Fili.... How can guys like Edgar and Aldo possibly compete with this?

Johnson was just so big and so fast and so long. I can't imagine a short bulked up guy dealing with that speed and that range. The era of those guys in the top has got to be over soon.

Yes, but you enjoyed Johnson. Correct?

No mention of Ortega? He is probably one of biggest FWs around and showed this vs Edgar

you forgot to mention Zabit. I think he decisions Edgar and Aldo easily. Too long, too tall and skillful enough

USATSI_10775494_168382968_lowres.jpg

Fili was set to fight at WW for Max Griffin's title in the WFC, prior to him getting the call from the UFC. He only recently has gotten his body down in walk around weight, so he can continue comfortably making 145-146.

A 73in reach is longer then the avg 145er.. Holloway is 69in, Ortega is 69in, Aldo is 70in, Moicano is 72in, Chad is 66in, Stephens is 71in, Swanson is 70in, Josh is 70in, Mirsad is 70in, Jung is 72in, etc.. Johnson's reach is more comparable to that of a 155er, Khabib is 70in, Conor is 74in, Ferguson is 76in, Dustin is 72in, Alvarez is 69in, Lee is 77in, Edson is 75in, Gaethje is 70in, Pettis is 72in, Al is 70in, Nate is 77in, etc..

So what if Fili almost fought at WW. BJ Penn fought at HW, it doesn't mean anything other than he's ballsy.
He's fought his entire career at 145 and since he's hit UFC he's 6-5. Ultimately, I don;t get what point you're trying to make here.

On MJ, I said 73 inches isn't huge for 145 and it isn't. OP was acting like he had Jones level reach advantage over his contenders. 2 or 3 inches isn't shit in MMA.

These guys like Holloway, Johnson, Andre Fili.... How can guys like Edgar and Aldo possibly compete with this?

Johnson was just so big and so fast and so long. I can't imagine a short bulked up guy dealing with that speed and that range. The era of those guys in the top has got to be over soon.

There has been big FWs for a while now. Jose himself is a huge FW. Frankie isn't, but he has experience dealing with bigger fighters I'd say.

They already have taken over. We watched Aldo get massacre'ed by the bigger Holloway and Frankie got KO'd by a guy who looked 2 weight classes bigger than him. Who else do we got from the old boys, Mendes? He's 5'5" with a 65" inch reach, wtf could he possibly do against Max and Ortega?

Soon enough the 135'ers are gonna start looking bigger than Aldo and Frankie.

They already have taken over. We watched Aldo get massacre'ed by the bigger Holloway and Frankie got KO'd by a guy who looked 2 weight classes bigger than him. Who else do we got from the old boys, Mendes? He's 5'5" with a 65" inch reach, wtf could he possibly do against Max and Ortega?

So what are the DJ and Dodson sized guys gonna do when TJ starts winning at 125, Conor sized guys take over 135, and Johnson sized guys take over 145?

145 MJ looks way worse than 155 MJ. He seems to have lost his crazy power.

A lot of 135ers are bigger than Frankie. Moraes, Cruz, O'Malley, etc. Frankie would be an average sized BW today, no idea how he became LW champ.

We still don't know IF max has a future at 145, will he even make it to the ring at 231?
As everyone has said those other huge FW will be lucky to crack the top 15 let alone have a chance against elite guys u named. Frankie beat up big LW for years FFS.

The only one I see blocking Zabit from becoming FW champ is Ortega. That dude really is huge for a FW.

Back