How about that sweeet Greco arm throw Daddy took Luke down with?

BigFedEm

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been thinking about how rare good greco arm throws are in mma for years, and I gotta tell you it was a huge thrill for me to see it in the Stevenson/Cummo fight. Luke stuck his right arm out, Joe whizzerd it, stuck his right foot in and spun around it, lifting and dropping Cummo flat on his back.

Cummo tried to dip and lean back, but thats the beauty of he arm throw, once its locked and starts, you cant pull out of it, like a head throw but much easier and quicker to lock in.

I just thought that this sweet takedown deserved a thread and dscussion of its own. I really think it could be used a lot more in mma.

its not used much in mma because if you don't pull it off you end up in perfect position for a knee in the face or your opponent will end up on top of you for some gnp

alexgncw said:
its not used much in mma because if you don't pull it off you end up in perfect position for a knee in the face or your opponent will end up on top of you for some gnp
Karo can pull it off...

That was s sweet throw..I have nailed that throw like once...every time I go for it In no Gi their arm just slips out and I end up falling by myself of pulling them on my back.

alexgncw said:

Well, it has to be timed right but its not rocket science. I mean, dont spin and throw if you dont have a lock on the arm, sure. But yeah, you are turning your back but its meant to be executed fast and explosive. In mma, you have to hit it hard with authority, like Joe did to Cummo. Luke was helpless to stop it.

Drop seonagi, I freakin love that throw... Karo does it a lot, JUDO baby! It's always good to know some Judo.

TJS said:
That was s sweet throw..I have nailed that throw like once...every time I go for it In no Gi their arm just slips out and I end up falling by myself of pulling them on my back.

Yeah, its definitely a good cold throw, once you start sweating its not that good. I missed it a lot in wrestling. But Joe hit it within the first ten-fifteen seconds almost, smart strategy there too.

Immortal-BJJ said:
Drop seonagi, I freakin love that throw... Karo does it a lot, JUDO baby! It's always good to know some Judo.

No disrespect to judo, its a great sport. But the throw in this fight was a greco throw.

2om30 said:
Karo can pull it off...
he's a judo champ for a reason there're few guys in mma at his level of judo and my point was just that its a high risk and not as high reward move

Immortal-BJJ said:
Dude don't be jealous.

Ha ha...I remember in my hometown there was always friction between wrestlers and judokas. But the throw was obviously executed in pure Greco fashion. I dont think anyone has ever been thrown like that in the history of judo. Theyre always wearing gis, thats another world man.

BigFedEm said:
Ha ha...I remember in my hometown there was always friction between wrestlers and judokas. But the throw was obviously executed in pure Greco fashion. I dont think anyone has ever been thrown like that in the history of judo. Theyre always wearing gis, thats another world man.

It's cool, I'm a Judo player so I'm gonna call just about every throw I see Judo... but it was a sweet takedown, really got the fight started.

BigFedEm - This is a classic judo throw as mentioned above, and it's called "drop seonagi". Greco throw... not.

alexgncw said:
he's a judo champ for a reason there're few guys in mma at his level of judo and my point was just that its a high risk and not as high reward move

Dude, forget Karo and judo, mma is a no gi sport. The greco throw is well suited for mma as Daddy proved last week.

johil d'o said:
BigFedEm - This is a classic judo throw as mentioned above, and it's called "drop seonagi". Greco throw... not.

Nope. That was a greco arm drag or a wizzer. Big diff between that and any seoinage.

Greco guys 'spin' in and the throw is essentially to the side. Ippon seoinage is under and up.

Under, to the knees and up is a drop seoinage. Under and roll is a seoiotoshi.

BigFedEm said:
Dude, forget Karo and judo, mma is a no gi sport. The greco throw is well suited for mma as Daddy proved last week.

Karos drop seoiotoshi was nicer.:) No gi. And your opponent should land where you will have better control.

Q mystic said:
Nope. That was a greco arm drag or a wizzer. Big diff between that and any seoinage.

Greco guys 'spin' in and the throw is essentially to the side. Ippon seoinage is under and up.

Under, to the knees and up is a drop seoinage. Under and roll is a seoiotoshi.

You know your throws, greco as well as judo. The techniques you compare are different imho because of the difference in grip and hold between no gi and gi. The greco throw has to be quicker because theres less grip. With a gi you have a litle more control, so judokas use it.

Q mystic said:
Karos drop seoiotoshi was nicer.:) No gi. And your opponent should land where you will have better control.

Never saw it, will check it out. As far as where the opponent should land you are right, but in a match its a balance between the beginning and the end of the technique.

Q mystic said:
Under and roll is a seoiotoshi.

This sounds familar. When you say "roll", you mean whizzer and drop into a bridge, rolling your back down your opponents body? Because thats the first throw I learned, it is known as the easiest throw. Hook the arm then drop and twist, even fat hws can master it, lol.

EDIT just checked it out, its not the same throw.

BigFedEm said:
You know your throws, greco as well as judo. The techniques you compare are different imho because of the difference in grip and hold between no gi and gi. The greco throw has to be quicker because theres less grip. With a gi you have a litle more control, so judokas use it.

Never saw it, will check it out. As far as where the opponent should land you are right, but in a match its a balance between the beginning and the end of the technique.

Thanks. The dynamics of ippon seoinage are taught where you should not need a gi. But clearly the gi has changed it. It is supposed to be thrown when your opponent is off balance, and with a gi you can just power it out.

Q mystic said:
Thanks. The dynamics of ippon seoinage are taught where you should not need a gi. But clearly the gi has changed it. It is supposed to be thrown when your opponent is off balance, and with a gi you can just power it out.

Im partial to greco myself, but i appreciate judo, especially the stuff that greco doesnt cover. I love the gari and gake stuff, they complement the greco clinch beautifully.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back