Horror novels that kept you awake at night...

Can't say they kept me up at night, but they are a great series of books.

Highly recommended, especially if you like the zombie genre and books written in 1st person.

Anything that managed to keep you up at night?

There's really been nothing to keep me up at night since I was a teen. When I was a kid those Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books kept me up all the time. I think even now in my late 20s some of those stories would spook me a little.

Alright MOA, finished Penpal about two days ago but was busy with work and life so couldn't get on here. My mind was blown. I went back and read the last 75 pages again just to absorb it all. It's one of those books that stays on your mind for awhile because it seems very real. I'm an avid reader and can't remember the last book that blew me away like that. Probably Geralds Game by Stephen King is the closest I can think of.

Alright MOA, finished Penpal about two days ago but was busy with work and life so couldn't get on here. My mind was blown. I went back and read the last 75 pages again just to absorb it all. It's one of those books that stays on your mind for awhile because it seems very real. I'm an avid reader and can't remember the last book that blew me away like that. Probably Geralds Game by Stephen King is the closest I can think of.

It's a damn great read, a lot of suspense, chilling and eerie. And yes, it does seem very real. I'm surprised it hasn't received much recognition.

As an adult, only House of Leaves. I was kind of surprised to see it mentioned both in the OP, and several times on the first page.

Love his writing style. Is this part of a collection or is it a stand-alone short story?

It's part of "Haunted", which is a collection of short stories from characters in a larger narrative. "Guts" is the most famous story from the collection, but there are a lot of other good ones in it beside that one.

"It" was the scariest book I eve read for sure.

Add another vote for IT. The book blows the movie completely out of the water.

http://flavorwire.com/419194/the-50-scariest-books-of-all-time/view-all/

Saw this list on Reddit the other night, might be helpful to some folks

Looks like a good list. I wonder what it would've looked like if it allowed more than one book per author. Interesting to see "IT" was the book of King's chosen for the list and the amount of votes it's getting here. I feel validated Books of Blood made the list and I was glad Blood Meridian made because I bought it recently but haven't started it yet.

Although they didnt keep me up, a few of Richard Laymons books definitely affected my dreams.

Some of Ed Lee's books will mess with your head if you live by any extremely rural areas. He writes a lot of "Deliverence" extreme gore horror involving inbred backwoods people.

He writes a lot of "Deliverence" extreme gore horror involving inbred backwoods people.

Sold! What would you recommend for a starting point? From a quick skim around it seems The Bighead would be ideal

I'm gonna have to reread "It". I read it in 8th grade and I don't remember anything being scary about it, and this coming from a kid scared to death of Jason Voorhies. The only thing I distinctly remember about it is King talking about dudes giving each other blowjobs in the bathroom.

"IT" mean I couldn't walk near gutters for a fair while.

"Nightmare on elm st 3" meant I had to use caution when turning off the tap late at night for many many years.

I'm gonna have to reread "It". I read it in 8th grade and I don't remember anything being scary about it, and this coming from a kid scared to death of Jason Voorhies. The only thing I distinctly remember about it is King talking about dudes giving each other blowjobs in the bathroom.

There were a few parts that were sort of scary, more in a creepy sort of way though.

reddragon.jpg

I love Stephen King.. but Red Dragon is the only book I've had to put down while reading it.

Sold! What would you recommend for a starting point? From a quick skim around it seems The Bighead would be ideal

The Bighead
Creekers
and I think the other one was called Headers... or The Headers.. but both part one and two of that book are awesome... But these two are more Gore/weird humor inbred stuff

Back