Horror novels that kept you awake at night...

M o A

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing like a good thrill, but it's hard to come by when you get older, so when I read Dathan Auerbach's Penpal a few months ago I was kind of ecstatic to discover that horror novels could do this. I have been ignoring horror fiction my whole life and have a new found interest, I am to ordering House of Leaves soon but wanted to add a few extra books to my Horror wishlist on Amazon...I'm not asking for any horror novel, I'm asking you which books kept you up at night/scared...

Last edited:
The original childs play. I had anthropomorphic nightmares for years after that.

Edit: books. Got it- "night of the living dummy" by RL stein

Last edited:
Back when I was in school, Pet Sematary and Salem's Lot gave me shivers.

Some people will make fun of me for this but Mothman Prophecies scared the shot out of me. It made me keep every light on in the house.

Helter Skelter. First time I read it, scared me to death.

Anyone recommended a great horror novel written in 1st person?

Of the top of my head

The Outsider

By HP lovecraft

not really a novel though , short story , can probly find it online as pdf or some such.

When I read The Dunwich Horror

I actually did wake up later that night thinking I could hear that massive slithering head slide across the country side near my bedroom window.

Was scary indeed.

american psycho comes to mind. its not "keep you up at night" scary however it did make me feel like i had become more of a psychopath after spending the time reading all that crazy shit in the first person. I was scared of myself for a little while...

The only book that ever kept me awake, was House of Leaves, only, turns out, it's not a horror novel.

Hey OP thanks for bringing penpal to my attention. Just ordered it on Amazon

The Amityville Horror and Salem's Lot freaked me out when I was a kid.

It. Petrified me.

I also found The Da Vinci Code unnerving. I wound up reading it throughout the night rather than try to go to sleep.

There was also a creepy thread about celebrity CTs that freaked me out.

American Psycho is a great book.. As good as the movie was, it doesn't do the novel justice

Hey OP thanks for bringing penpal to my attention. Just ordered it on Amazon

The author's way of writing is very systematic, it's not akin to conventional horror, i.e. - gore, blood etc...just that the entire time you're thinking What's going to happen? Be sure to read it at night, and get back to me when you're done reading it!

It. Petrified me.

I also found The Da Vinci Code unnerving. I wound up reading it throughout the night rather than try to go to sleep.

There was also a creepy thread about celebrity CTs that freaked me out.

Plus one on this. That scene where the kid hears the voices coming up from the sink plughole...:eek:

"It" creeped me out pretty good.

Tim Curry was pretty unnerving as Pennywise in the mini series as well...:eek:

I hear you TS... As an adult it is hard to get scared.

I loved that about being a kid -scary films/scary books!

Don't have any books that I know of off the top of my head that will "scare you" but some of the Stephen King books are quite creepy... I just finished Salems Lot not that long ago.

Back