Honestly, I don't think Gus is as good as people think...

You don't do that to Jones without being legit. He's obviously a great fighter. "Jones wasn't used to fighting tall guys". I'll put that excuse on my list of excuses for Jones post Gus fight.

So far I've got this:
"His big toe wasn't working"
"He was 80%"
"He didn't take him seriously"
"He got cut early in the fight due to being unlucky"
"He hurt his foot so he couldn't move like he wanted to"
"He had an off-day, Gus had an on-day"
"He was caught off guard by Gus' tdd"
"He was only training boxing prior to the fight, not wrestling"
"The titleshot was undeserved anyway"
"Wasn't motivated"
"Didn't train as hard as usual"
"Gus was lucky with the surprise factor"

And now, thanks to you:
"He wasn't used to fighting tall guys"

Now, back to Gus:

Footwork, striking, physical talent, takedowns, takedown defence, timing, fight IQ, movement, confidence. He excels at all those things. You'll see in a few weeks.

hahaha excellent list there, let

sgtpepper on a roll today, 3-4 threads on the main page.

Realistically, Gus is the white Jon Jones.

Too bad I always bet on black.

1. Gus isn't used to fighting guys as tall as Jones either

2. Jimi Manuwa was ranked 10th when they fought

3. I was only impressed with Gus starting from the Jones fight. He is still a young guy and improving and that's why he did not look impressive to me as before.

4. The way he beat Jimi was the best way in which he could possible do it. He outwrestled Manuwa in the 1st round to show that his wrestling is still elite, which he did not have before the Jones fight, and in the 2nd he knocked out Jimi, showing he could match Jones' wrestling and how dangerous he is on the feet. He does come across a little fatigued while fighting to me though, but that's just his style I think.

prepare to be flamed by Toco/HeexX/MickeyZ

b8n6xqS.jpg

Lmao.

Remember when Jones had only beat a bunch of average guys and wasn't good enough to fight Shogun?

Gus will lose to Johnson though, so it's all a moot point.

The same can be said for Jones.

He only did so good against Gus because it was the first time he fought someone so big.

First of all, I think his performance against Jones was FKING amazing.

Putting that aside, I only think he performed exceptionally against Jones because Jones simply wasn't use to fighting someone roughly his size. Jones is use to fighting guys much MUCH smaller than himself so when he fought Gus, it was something he wasn't use to.

Other than that, I think Gus is a good fighter just not as good as he's hyped up to be...

He knocked out Jimi Manuwa, who wasn't even ranked in the top 10 at the time.

He could only win a decision against an out of prime Shogun.

And he's only really finished a bunch of average guys (yes that sounded sexual to me too).

His striking is excellent. He has great cardio. Very good footwork, chin, very decent takedowns and his takedown defense seems to have improved quite a bit. As far as having a submission game, it's not that developed it would seem...

I think he's very, very good.

I think the rematch won't be as competitive (If he even gets past rumble). Gus has a tendency in all his fights to lean over only his right hip when utilising head movement. When Jones realised this he was able to setup the spinning elbow which changed the course of the fight. I believe he will be able to take advantage of this weakness again but much earlier in the fight. But then again Gus was able to find the right distance to use lateral movement and fuck Jone's shit up

i agree to an extent. He gives jones all sorts of problems,but put them in the cage with the same guys and jones annihlates them and gus kinda struggles to get that win.

Good point.

You don't do that to Jones without being legit. He's obviously a great fighter. "Jones wasn't used to fighting tall guys". I'll put that excuse on my list of excuses for Jones post Gus fight.

So far I've got this:
"His big toe wasn't working"
"He was 80%"
"He didn't take him seriously"
"He got cut early in the fight due to being unlucky"
"He hurt his foot so he couldn't move like he wanted to"
"He had an off-day, Gus had an on-day"
"He was caught off guard by Gus' tdd"
"He was only training boxing prior to the fight, not wrestling"
"The titleshot was undeserved anyway"
"Wasn't motivated"
"Didn't train as hard as usual"
"Gus was lucky with the surprise factor"

And now, thanks to you:
"He wasn't used to fighting tall guys"

Now, back to Gus:

Footwork, striking, physical talent, takedowns, takedown defence, timing, fight IQ, movement, confidence. He excels at all those things. You'll see in a few weeks.

And what's the excuses for Gus not winning then? Not having a reach advantage as he usually does as well? Judges being incompetent/corrupt? Being poked in the eye? Time difference? Snus withdrawal? :D

Gus is the real deal TS.

He almost beat one of the most dominant champs the UFC has ever had and if he beats Rumble there should be no doubt in anyone's mind about him.

I think Gus is a legit top five fighter, I think he beats Davis in a rematch, Jones couldn't take him down, he probably has the best striking/boxing at light heavyweight.

And what's the excuses for Gus not winning then? Not having a reach advantage as he usually does as well? Judges being incompetent/corrupt? Being poked in the eye? Time difference? Snus withdrawal? :D

Snus withdrawal. :)

Nah but that's my point, silly to make excuses for that fight.

No offense but you don't know what you're talking about.

Wuth that said I think there is a reasonable chance that he loses to Rumble.

Back