Honestly, I don't think Gus is as good as people think...

sgtpepper

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
First of all, I think his performance against Jones was FKING amazing.

Putting that aside, I only think he performed exceptionally against Jones because Jones simply wasn't use to fighting someone roughly his size. Jones is use to fighting guys much MUCH smaller than himself so when he fought Gus, it was something he wasn't use to.

Other than that, I think Gus is a good fighter just not as good as he's hyped up to be...

He knocked out Jimi Manuwa, who wasn't even ranked in the top 10 at the time.

He could only win a decision against an out of prime Shogun.

And he's only really finished a bunch of average guys (yes that sounded sexual to me too).

Gus is legit. I'm pretty sure it was the first time either guy had fought someone the same size as themselves.

Gus Jones 2 is going to be the biggest fight of 2015.

It'll be another war. Can't wait.

Somehow knew this would be a fresh whitebelt thread.

I agree but I think he's better than you think

i agree to an extent. He gives jones all sorts of problems,but put them in the cage with the same guys and jones annihlates them and gus kinda struggles to get that win.

You don't do that to Jones without being legit. He's obviously a great fighter. "Jones wasn't used to fighting tall guys". I'll put that excuse on my list of excuses for Jones post Gus fight.

So far I've got this:
"His big toe wasn't working"
"He was 80%"
"He didn't take him seriously"
"He got cut early in the fight due to being unlucky"
"He hurt his foot so he couldn't move like he wanted to"
"He had an off-day, Gus had an on-day"
"He was caught off guard by Gus' tdd"
"He was only training boxing prior to the fight, not wrestling"
"The titleshot was undeserved anyway"
"Wasn't motivated"
"Didn't train as hard as usual"
"Gus was lucky with the surprise factor"

And now, thanks to you:
"He wasn't used to fighting tall guys"

Now, back to Gus:

Footwork, striking, physical talent, takedowns, takedown defence, timing, fight IQ, movement, confidence. He excels at all those things. You'll see in a few weeks.

i wasnt impressed by gus in the manuwa fight, hopefully he does well against AJ so he can fight Jones again and see who improved the most, it'll be a shame to see AJ lose (if he does) though because i'm a fan. it's one of those fights where i don't want to see either lose but there can only be one winner.

prepare to be flamed by Toco/HeexX/MickeyZ

b8n6xqS.jpg

Gus is legit. I'm pretty sure it was the first time either guy had fought someone the same size as themselves.

Gus Jones 2 is going to be the biggest fight of 2015.

It'll be another war. Can't wait.

To be fair, Gus fought 6'6" Cirill Diabate... But it doesn't change everything. I believe in Viking.

He's good. Actually he's special.
No one else gave Jones a hard time for a reason.
Let's see if humble bumble rumble has anything for him.

If not, ONWARD TO JONES - GUS 2!!!

jones woulda gotten thiago silva out of there in a round.

and if he took manuwa down he wouldnt be getting back up again.

i like gus but i dont neccesarily think he is going to hold onto the title if he can beat jones for it.

He's a top fighter in LHW. Deal with it.

I'm a Gus fan so people will dismiss my opinion as being biased but

He's the best striker in the division, and he has the best TDD for a striker

(along with Jones ofcourse)

Nah Gus is legit. I think he beats everyone in the division except Jones & Cormier.

Gus is legit he maybe he doesn't have the greatest resume ever but he beats who he's supposed to and taking Jones to the brink has to mean something

Back