Honestly, how many of you have rewatched Jones vs DC??

I just find it funny how in a lot of threads they say DC was totally dominated blah blah. I didnt see that fight then, because to me while Jones won no question, if DC had not gassed in the 4th it would have been an even closer fight. I dont think DC got dominated really, but he did lose 3 rounds.

I'm a fan of Jones' fighting skill in the cage, but I don't think that Jones dominated Cormier. You can't expect a guy like Cormier to be dominated because of his skill level, so just being able to get a win over him is a great accomplishment.

I'm a fan of Jones' fighting skill in the cage, but I don't think that Jones dominated Cormier. You can't expect a guy like Cormier to be dominated because of his skill level, so just being able to get a win over him is a great accomplishment.

Beating him 49-46
Beating him in wrestling/grappling 3 take downs to 1
Breaking his will, and he did
Making him cry, and he did

That isn't a dominating win over a 15-0 heavy weight that wanted to end Bones' career?

I watched the fight once, that was enough for me. Pretty boring fight to be honest, the only thing that made it interesting was the background of the fighters and how they fared against each other.
IMO DC was not dominated but he was certainly not winning.

If DC had a better gas tank it would have been much more interesting. I made a thread after the weigh ins about how hyped DC was and that it made me really nervous because I felt like he was blowing too much adrenaline. I think he dumped way too much energy before the fight.

It had a lot to do with Jones' working DCs body. DC said as much himself. The greatest cardio in the world means less after a bunch of punches and knees to the abdomen.

Would watch again but it isn't the same now knowing one person was a little too hyper throughout the fight

I think DC had some good moments, but it were overrated because Bones was the favorite.

Jones outstroke Cormier in 1, 3,4 and 5 rounds (4 and 5 badly outsroke), by oustroke I mean more landed sig. strikes, more attempted strikes, better %, ore strikes overall, more strikes in the clinch, more head strikes. And in round 2 the margin for Cormier was miniscule - go watch stats to ESPN). IMO most damaging and sig. strikes were delivered by Bones (clinch in the head, a lot of huge body shots).
Jones outcontrolled DC in every round. And ouwrestled in 1 and 4 rounds. In 5 Cormier outwrestled Jones.
I dont see here any scoring round-by-round aside 49-46, 49-47, 48-47 for Jones. Jones clearly won, clearly, just not very impressive.

Media members scored it like this:
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/5796/Jon-Jones-vs-Daniel-Cormier

Where just one draw or Cormier win?

How does it not make any sense? They could not see the judges score cards and to my knowledge no one in has corner had the ability to see into the future and know DC would lose a decision. My point is: Rounds 1-3 were anybodys rounds meaning DC had a chance to win a decision going into the 5th. Their advice should have been..." You need to win this round to have a decent chance to win this fight."

Maybe its just your subjective perception about rounds 1-3? All theree judjes and 11 of 16 media members scored firts 3 like 2-1 for Jones. And DC corner its like to agree with it if they give such comments before 5. So, maybe you are wrong and didnt notice something in 1-3 rounds? Or all the speciatilts and corner are wrong?

I have rewatched it, it was a little bit of a letdown. The best parts were when DC was going hard, but once Jon started to take over it got a little dull.

It was a good fight, just didn't think Jones really put on an amazing championship performance. He fought well and deserved the win, but when you look back at what guys like Silva and Fedor did to people when they were champions it doesn't really compare imo.

It's easy to say that those guys were fighting worse competition than Jones, but they were fighting the best guys at the time and looking damn good doing it.

Neither fedor or silva ever fought anyone even remotely close to the caliber of fighter dc is. Well, I guess Werdum, and Chris... we all know how that turned out. But lets be honest, a prime fedor, or as wouldnt walk through either guy. And Werdum is a much better fighter now than when he fought fedor.

Jones had a pretty comfortable victory considering DC is a damn monster. Those body shots took most of the soul and fire DC had conjured up in camp. If it hadn't been for that strategy he would have had at least 10 more uppercuts for Jones to eat. Jones also took advantage of that by tossing him around and stuffing any sort of take down attempt. No soul left for DC after that morale drop. I'd consider this a pretty impressive performance at a top tier level.

well said

i was very impressed by jon, and fully expected cormier to win this fight.

"3. Jon's corner was great. DC's corner was atrocious. I agree he was probably losing the fight going into the 5th but telling him he had to finish it was baffling. There was way too many close rounds to be telling him that."

If you are the challenger and you get a ton of close rounds you assume you lost them. Hell that is a good idea for a corner to have in general. My problem is them telling him they need a finish, then saying he needs to get an early takedown.

Anyway while rewatching the fight I thought it was a clear victory for Jones and didn't change my scoring. I thought Herb should have broken it up more in the 5th though.

Like others have said, the first 3 rounds were competitive and entertaining. Jones had taken over by the end of the third, DC's cardio let him down, not his corner - as he did indeed need a finish to win. No need to rewatch, agree DC has the skillset, but he doesn't have the gas tank to use that skillset for 5 rds.

Back