Honest opinion on khabib

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I dont hate khabib, and not a conor lover.

but does anyone else think he’s not as good as hes made out to be. People already calling him the goat. But goats like gsp, jones, anderson, fedor, they were all able to fight standing up and on the ground.

Khabib isnt as versatile and his standup isnt that good. Jon jones is much better all around. Khabib is just extremely good at grappling and mauling, but there comes a day when he cant get a guy down and is forced to fight standing up.

Sure he has a long win streak. But his record is like a boxer. With 30 wins or whatever but nobody can name the 25 other opponents they fought. Again, i dont hate him or like conor, just an objective view on his skill set.

please dont be salty n add a gif of him dropping conor as if that is somehow proof.

100% agree. I don’t see anyone at 55 that can challenge him though.

He’s probably the best pure grappler we’ve seen in mma due to his ability to completely overwhelm the opposition. There will be a day when a strong wrestleboxer can negate his grappling though, much like roided Tibau did.

I think hes an awesome wrestler with good ground and pound that cuts massive ammounts of weight so he can dominate smaller men.

I dont give a shit how fancy you look in the ring/cage, as long as you can make what your doing work, and do it all the time, that to me is what matters.

So far, Khabib has not lost, nor has he shown any signs of nearly losing in any fight hes been in besides eating a few punches here and there.

His striking may still improve. Sometimes, fighters's striking improves later in their career. Frank Mir, Randy Couture, and Josh Koscheck are some examples.

But look at this.
Jadfp1U.gif

I dont give a shit how fancy you look in the ring/cage, as long as you can make what your doing work, and do it all the time, that to me is what matters.

So far, Khabib has not lost, nor has he shown any signs of nearly losing in any fight hes been in besides eating a few punches here and there.

His striking may still improve. Sometimes, fighters's striking improves later in their career. Frank Mir, Randy Couture, and Josh Koscheck are some examples.

Jadfp1U.gif

Whats so impressive about this?

The wrestler lands a punch while the striker is looking out for the takedown.

We have seen it dozens of times and uh...Conor didn't even go down.

Don't worry about what others think for a minute. How good do you think he is?

Can anyone get out from under him? Can he get just about anyone down? Can anyone beat him today? Can anyone from yesterday beat him?

I'd say he's looked pretty fucking wicked good since returning from injury in 2016. No one is unbeatable. But he's looking like GSP 2013 to me.

That being said, that's only 6 fights, and I look forward to his next 4 or 5. In my perfect world if he beats Tony he fights Justin. Then maybe Conor again if no one else deserves it more. That takes us to 2021. By then, some other up-and-comer will deserve it. That's the beauty of dominating a division; eventually there's always someone else.

its about his dominance. these fights he is having with the top guys in the divison arent even competitive.
+ how can you say his standup isnt good? we talk about aesthetics or about results ?, 28 fights and he's barely been touched

Don't worry about what others think for a minute. How good do you think he is?

Can anyone get out from under him? Can he get just about anyone down? Can anyone beat him today? Can anyone from yesterday beat him?

I'd say he's looked pretty fucking wicked good since returning from injury in 2016. No one is unbeatable. But he's looking like GSP 2013 to me.

That being said, that's only 6 fights, and I look forward to his next 4 or 5. In my perfect world if he beats Tony he fights Justin. Then maybe Conor again if no one else deserves it more. That takes us to 2021. By then, some other up-and-comer will deserve it. That's the beauty of dominating a division; eventually there's always someone else.

I'm a fan of Khabib but the problem is with him looking "fucking wicked good" is that:

He's faced Al Iaquinta, Conor McGregor, and Dustin Porier in his 3 career title fights.

Conor is his best win by far, but if we look at it objectively we know McGregor has a stylistic weakness against wrestlers. Look a the Mendes fight, look at the lack of fighting wrestlers, Alvarez didn't try to wrestle him for whatever reason and Mendes pretty much dominated him (most of the fight). McGregor improved his grappling/wrestling since then but it's not like he was "good" at it compared to Khabib by the time they fought.

Khabib fought a journeyman real estate agent for the vacant title. He fought a striker who's weak against wrestlers (a superior Dan Hardy let's imagine), and Dustin Porier who's a high school wrestler with no accolades (and a BJJ black belt sure).

So yeah Khabib is awesome but he's either overrated as of now, or he hasn't had the chance to fight any top flight wrestlers specifically. Both really. Where as GSP for example, had the resume' of going against Hughes, Koscheck, Fitch, Hendricks, (Shields) as wrestlers. Khabib simply hasn't faced any...actually good opponents outside of McGregor and RDA I guess at the time. Everyone else has been a fringe top 5 gatekeeper esque guy at best - Barboza, Porier, etc.

So yeah Khabib is awesome but he's either overrated as of now...
Again, like TS you're trying to compare how good you think he is to a caricature of how good you think others think he is. Read the last half of that first sentence again; it's a tad tricky.

What a useless endeavor. Me? I think he's rated exactly where I rate him.

You make good points about who he's fought and how he still hast a lot to prove. We agree on that.

But I suggest you and TS quit worrying about what others think. Especially the 5-10% of people who think he's the BEST EVA GOAT P4P trolls. If indeed 10% of sherdog thinks that, that's still a less % than flat earthers. You may as well be debating flat eathers.

Unless of course that's how you have fun on these boards. "OMG, some people think he's worse than I do....Like OMG, some different people think he's better than I do!!!". If so, go gangbusters. Cheers.

Last edited:
Fedor, Jones, Anderson, GSP, and Aldo were all at the top of their division for 5+ years. Khabib isn't there yet, but if he defeats Tony he will become the most accomplished LW in MMA history. Sounds pretty good to me.

The problem is that current 155 is not actually as stacked as people claim it is.

I dont hate khabib, and not a conor lover.

but does anyone else think he’s not as good as hes made out to be. People already calling him the goat. But goats like gsp, jones, anderson, fedor, they were all able to fight standing up and on the ground.

Khabib isnt as versatile and his standup isnt that good. Jon jones is much better all around. Khabib is just extremely good at grappling and mauling, but there comes a day when he cant get a guy down and is forced to fight standing up.

Sure he has a long win streak. But his record is like a boxer. With 30 wins or whatever but nobody can name the 25 other opponents they fought. Again, i dont hate him or like conor, just an objective view on his skill set.

please dont be salty n add a gif of him dropping conor as if that is somehow proof.

No worries. I think we're going to see El Cucuy expose Khabib in a few months.

Khabib is like a video game character that has one move that you can spam nonstop and break the game.

Sucks all the point and fun out of the game. Not fun to watch.

I dislike Khabib and I love his stand up. He’s certainly not the most technical guy, but he is very aggressive and relentless. He has improved tremendously.

Khabib was even with Conor striking and dominated Raging Al striking

Nurmagomedov has some of the best boxing in LW history

Back